Consequences Of Brexit [Part 9] Read First Post Before Posting

1 hour ago, sadbrewer said:

No Carling,Coors or Bud lite.....hmmm, might be a price worth paying.

😂😂😂😂😂

27 minutes ago, sadbrewer said:

Wetherspoons like most free houses certainly won't run out of real ales, most small independents can deliver direct and very few run HGV's.

I know an independent who has no choice but to use 3.5 tonne vans because he can't get hgv drivers. About a tonne capacity isn't much when translated into full beer barrels.

Just got my vat taxes from EU country on things I bought there and taken to UK with me.

Weird system. They stamped and registered these local VAT receipt at the tax refund office at airport. Then I had to sent this receipt back to the shop I bought the stuff from. With my details for them to deposit it on my account.

Don't think Brexit was worth that little VAT I got back for it.

Edited by dutch

22 hours ago, sadbrewer said:

No Carling,Coors or Bud lite.....hmmm, might be a price worth paying.

They we will have to drink that great British lager, Fosters!

On 01/09/2021 at 18:17, tinfoilhat said:

I know an independent who has no choice but to use 3.5 tonne vans because he can't get hgv drivers. About a tonne capacity isn't much when translated into full beer barrels.

That must be a very large Independent...the largest ones in the general South Yorks area are Thornbridge, Abbeydale and Acorn, and the latter two, who we dealt with didn't run HGV's, although I could imagine Thornbridge using them.

I've been in the industry for more than 30 years as a small brewer and to be honest I've never met a small brewer who needs an HGV...unless perhaps they are in with a brewer or wholesaler who is prepared to take a bulk  drop occasionally and will manage the distribution to individual outlets themselves. The vast bulk of Independents couldn't fill an HGV unless with a  few weeks production We dealt with Whitbread for a while and they would pick up in bulk , as would the larger wholesalers, Wetherspoons would take a bulk drop to a central depot or you could do the individual pubs yourself. SIBA's Direct delivery Scheme was on the same basis.

Small brewers generally supply free trade outlets dropping odd 9 gallon barrels ( or very small multiples) of cask ale  off at multiple accounts spread over a fairly wide area using a 1 man as driver/drayman, 10 -20 drops in a day is a lot of work...but not a lot of weight...most people don't need more than a twin wheel transit or Mercedes sprinter type van or pickup.

The large brewers of course supply tied houses or loan tied freehouses with multiple products, Lagers, ciders, keg ales, nitrokeg stouts and smooth beers, bottles and cans, wines and spirits etc... often in relatively compact areas, they are the ones that need HGV's.

Edited by sadbrewer

On 01/09/2021 at 16:07, West 77 said:

Everything still okay today. No shortages to report.  Guest ales £1.99 a pint.

Cheers!

Looking at Westie's posts, then I suspect there may be a shortage after his visits. 

On a more serious note, the UK has had an issue with many skills, not just HGV drivers, for over 40 years because rather than train and develop staff they have chosen to import labour, who coincidentally are generally cheaper and easier to deny employment rights too. 

That route is no longer open to them, which pretty much collapses the business model which most of the UK economy is built on. The government could relax visa requirements to allow this model to roll on a bit longer but any temportary relaxation will become permanent since industry wont make the necessary investment until way too late and when the relaxation comes to an end we will be having the same arguments as we are now. 

Also, having spent years telling foreign workers that they are not wanted then will anyone, especially the quality ones,  actually want to come? 

So, industry will have to change and that will mean investment both in staff wages and training and possibly new technology and business processes, which probably means higher prices and at least for a while inflation. 

Edited by andyofborg

9 hours ago, sadbrewer said:

That must be a very large Independent...the largest ones in the general South Yorks area are Thornbridge, Abbeydale and Acorn, and the latter two, who we dealt with didn't run HGV's, although I could imagine Thornbridge using them.

I've been in the industry for more than 30 years as a small brewer and to be honest I've never met a small brewer who needs an HGV...unless perhaps they are in with a brewer or wholesaler who is prepared to take a bulk  drop occasionally and will manage the distribution to individual outlets themselves. The vast bulk of Independents couldn't fill an HGV unless with a  few weeks production We dealt with Whitbread for a while and they would pick up in bulk , as would the larger wholesalers, Wetherspoons would take a bulk drop to a central depot or you could do the individual pubs yourself. SIBA's Direct delivery Scheme was on the same basis.

Small brewers generally supply free trade outlets dropping odd 9 gallon barrels ( or very small multiples) of cask ale  off at multiple accounts spread over a fairly wide area using a 1 man as driver/drayman, 10 -20 drops in a day is a lot of work...but not a lot of weight...most people don't need more than a twin wheel transit or Mercedes sprinter type van or pickup.

The large brewers of course supply tied houses or loan tied freehouses with multiple products, Lagers, ciders, keg ales, nitrokeg stouts and smooth beers, bottles and cans, wines and spirits etc... often in relatively compact areas, they are the ones that need HGV's.

Funnily enough I the only thornbridge vehicle I've seen is a 3.5tonne in Chesterfield. Maybe they use hgv for distribution centre jobs (As you say, if they one at all).

1 hour ago, andyofborg said:

Looking at Westie's posts, then I suspect there may be a shortage after his visits. 

On a more serious note, the UK has had an issue with many skills, not just HGV drivers, for over 40 years because rather than train and develop staff they have chosen to import labour, who coincidentally are generally cheaper and easier to deny employment rights too. 

That route is no longer open to them, which pretty much collapses the business model which most of the UK economy is built on. The government could relax visa requirements to allow this model to roll on a bit longer but any temportary relaxation will become permanent since industry wont make the necessary investment until way too late and when the relaxation comes to an end we will be having the same arguments as we are now. 

Also, having spent years telling foreign workers that they are not wanted then will anyone, especially the quality ones,  actually want to come? 

So, industry will have to change and that will mean investment both in staff wages and training and possibly new technology and business processes, which probably means higher prices and at least for a while inflation. 

Too true.

Quality skills training in this country is very poor and can be prohibitively expensive for older individuals. There's a shortage of proper apprenticeships and many of the government schemes are short and do not result in fully trained youngsters. Some are little more than lucrative scams.

As you say, lack of investment over 40 years has led to this situation.