Consequences Of Brexit [Part 9] Read First Post Before Posting

16 minutes ago, West 77 said:

It's rather amusing you're posting a link to comments by the Norwegian PM rather than  a link to comments from the UK Government. If the majority of the electorate had wanted all trade agreements to remain the same then they would have voted to remain in the EU.  Kenneth Clark introduced a motion for the UK to remain in the customs  union during Theresa May's time as PM which was narrowly defeated in the rogue corrupt parliament.  The rogue parliament were only interested in blocking Brexit all together which is why Kenneth Clark's motion was defeated.  As a strong supporter of leaving the EU I could have lived with the UK remaining in the customs union providing their was an option for future elected Governments to pull out if they desired.  The UK have a massive trade deficit which means  the UK are not really losing anything by going it alone with making our own trade deals.  Brexit is an opportunity for the UK to reduce the trade deficit and future Governments should introduce policies to help achieve this. 

Only amusing in the sense that whatever is said by UK Government Ministers is valued so little by its citizens because they are known as pathological liars, incompetent buffoons or venal sleazebags.

Edited by Mister M

18 minutes ago, West 77 said:

It's rather amusing you're posting a link to comments by the Norwegian PM rather than  a link to comments from the UK Government. If the majority of the electorate had wanted all trade agreements to remain the same then they would have voted to remain in the EU.  Kenneth Clark introduced a motion for the UK to remain in the customs  union during Theresa May's time as PM which was narrowly defeated in the rogue corrupt parliament.  The rogue parliament were only interested in blocking Brexit all together which is why Kenneth Clark's motion was defeated.  As a strong supporter of leaving the EU I could have lived with the UK remaining in the customs union providing their was an option for future elected Governments to pull out if they desired.  The UK have a massive trade deficit which means  the UK are not really losing anything by going it alone with making our own trade deals.  Brexit is an opportunity for the UK to reduce the trade deficit and future Governments should introduce policies to help achieve this. 

The UK government lies all the time. Big, fat, checkable lies. All the time.

Norway, Liechtenstein and Iceland eh? Swimming with the big boys now. Don't suppose you've had any thoughts on the trade deal with Australia including trade courts that allow Aussie businesses to sue UK governments if they pass laws which negatively affect their profits, thereby surrendering sovereignty? (Don't worry, it's rhetorical, you don't have to embarrass yourself by answering)

9 hours ago, whiteowl said:

Good brexit news!!!! :o

We've secured a trading deal with the international powerhouses Norway, Iceland and Liechtenstein!

The only downside is that it's not as good a deal as we had as part of the EU* - doh!

*according to Norway's PM

https://uk.news.yahoo.com/norways-pm-announces-trade-deal-155044883.html

ooh, I know roughly where two of those three are on a map 😁

When you are literally told by world leaders "This deal is worse than what you had" but you ignore them and continue to rant.

Edited by geared

Isn't 70 percent of our trade with the EU.

Presumably the EU guests speak on behalf of the 300 million others from outside the G7  European states.

Saw Borris's claims via northern island  ,he's shortly going to have to give up the bluster

I can understand why Boris appeals to voters, hence he has a chunky majority. Many regard him as a bit of a cad, but with the character and intellect to see us through any of life's little problems. Such as Covid or Brexit, etc. 

But being PM is an unforgiving task. When I was working, I came across what I called "whoosh, whoosh" managers. Any attempts to point out flaws in their executive instructions were greeted by "whoosh, whoosh" - just get it done. They invariably didn't last long.

In his determination to "Get Brexit done", he adopted the above principle to the UK/Ireland border conundrum, signed up to a fudge with a Mister Micawber like belief that something would turn up to sort out any working difficulties. Well the difficulties have arrived, and nothing has turned up to resolve them. 

I am not a big fan of Brussels, but in this case they can say, with justification - this was the agreement, it has your signature on the bottom - honour it. So Boris is flapping and shouting but he has been backed into a corner, and is ankle deep in a mess of his own creation. Soon it will be knee deep, waist deep, neck deep...... 

The only solution I can see is a long shot. The reunification of Ireland, and then Ireland leaves the EU and joins a customs union with the UK, both with a strong bond to the USA. It may sound daft, but stranger things have happened.

But by then Boris would be toast. 

2 hours ago, geared said:

Some good news, is it really that easy that they can thrash it out so quickly over dinner?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-57478412

I'm glad it wasn't Australian food - there's pesticides and hormone growth producers that we've banned in theirs.  But will they help us produce better cricketers? Fingers (all 14 of them) crossed!

On 05/06/2021 at 18:45, The Joker said:

ooh, I know roughly where two of those three are on a map 😁

I know what two of those are big at too, fishing

wonder if they will be wanting to buy our fish from our new hard fought bigger, better fishing fleet we are going to have?

or will they be expecting us to buy their fish?

hmmmmm