Consequences Of Brexit [Part 9] Read First Post Before Posting

It makes me so mad how this government treats Northern Ireland lets play fire with the Belfast Agreement what could possibly go wrong? 

One upside as been the DUP are losing support if the polls are to be believed perhaps the time for an border poll is getting near? 

On 20/05/2021 at 13:31, tinfoilhat said:

Liz truss has properly thrown them under a bus. 

Yes she has. The Australian trade deal will see the death of farming in the UK no money coming from central government to prop up the industry ironic  given the fact some farmers voted for Brexit !

24 minutes ago, GabrielC said:

Yes she has. The Australian trade deal will see the death of farming in the UK no money coming from central government to prop up the industry ironic  given the fact some farmers voted for Brexit !

Look on the bright side; we can build thousands of affordable homes on farmland.

The Brexit Bonus keeps on giving 😁

26 minutes ago, GabrielC said:

It makes me so mad how this government treats Northern Ireland lets play fire with the Belfast Agreement what could possibly go wrong? 

One upside as been the DUP are losing support if the polls are to be believed perhaps the time for an border poll is getting near? 

LBC interviewed the Australian High Commissioner yesterday.  He explained that the farming angle is only one aspect of the free trade agreement.  The sale of beef is only a small part of the overall deal & as he stated, the Australians already sell beef to the UK, as do the UK to Australia.  In both cases, it tends to be the high end of the beef market.  As the Commissioner said, its not much point in sending the cheaper beef 11,000 miles to the other side of the world as that would just bump the price up of cheaper meat & it wouldn't be competitive in the UK, not being as cheap as the home produced beef.

The Commissioner also pointed out that a free market would remove the current tariffs on many UK goods entering the Australian, this would boost such goods as the sale of whisky.  

On the subject of Australian beef which has been subjected to growth hormones, common in the larger factory farms in Australia, both the High Commissioner & in a later interview with Liz Truss, both confirmed that such meat are not part of the deal & Liz Truss further confirmed that UK law bans the sale of such meat anyway. 

After the Commissioner had been interviewed, there was a spokeswoman representing British beef farmers, who appeared not to put up much of an argument against the proposed free trade agreement, other than we want to sell our products in Australia free of tariffs without any reciprocal terms.  We'll it doesn't work like that does it? 

I read many on here 'deeply concerned' about what could possibly happen to the farming sector when a free trade agreement is finally signed.  What I don't read from may is that "I'll not buy that Australian, (only going to be the high end stuff), beef.  I'll only buy our British beef & thereby throw my support behind British farmers." 

As the High Commissioner said, (paraphrase), "The British people will ultimately decide if they want our goods or not.  If they don't, there's no point in us shipping them to the other side of the world."

34 minutes ago, The Joker said:

Look on the bright side; we can build thousands of affordable homes on farmland.

The Brexit Bonus keeps on giving 😁

You are possibly closer to the truth than you think. Farms plenty of land nice views perfect building land.

City of London Brexit hit worse than expected:

https://www.reuters.com/business/finance/city-london-brexit-hit-worse-than-expected-says-study-2021-04-15/

Over 400 financial firms in Britain have shifted activities, staff and a combined trillion pounds ($1.4 trillion) in assets to hubs in the European Union due to Brexit, with more pain to come, a study from New Financial think tank said on Friday.

"We think it is an underestimate and we expect the numbers to increase over time: we are only at the end of the beginning of Brexit," the study said.

A friend of mine works for CityCorp. He mooved with his department from the City to Dublin 18 months ago and other departments are following  as and when. Being an American  bank they want an English speaking location in  the EU.

Where are the Brexiteers now?

They are silent as they start to realise that the money grabbing Farage has sold them down the river, and made a load of money from their predicament.

3 hours ago, Litotes said:

Where are the Brexiteers now?

They are silent as they start to realise that the money grabbing Farage has sold them down the river, and made a load of money from their predicament.

Farage appears far more interested in brown nosing Trump supporters.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/nigel-farage-brexit-american-tour-b1852748.html

Brexiteers leave the noise to the lord haw haw's.

34 minutes ago, West 77 said:

Most Brexiteers are just quietly getting on with their lives and enjoying living in a sovereign country again.  Now lockdown restrictions are being lifted I've had a chance to engage with normal  real people and the consensus it was a no brainer to leave the EU.  The only regret is that the UK didn't leave the EU sooner.

Yes, I agree with you. It’s not very often I look at this thread now.

53 minutes ago, West 77 said:

Most Brexiteers are just quietly getting on with their lives and enjoying living in a sovereign country again.  Now lockdown restrictions are being lifted I've had a chance to engage with normal  real people and the consensus it was a no brainer to leave the EU.  The only regret is that the UK didn't leave the EU sooner.

Meh, I voted remain because A) Unlike a LOT of leave voters (IMO), I don't hate immigrants in Europe and B) I knew the Tories would make a total hash of the whole Deal