Consequences Of Brexit [Part 9] Read First Post Before Posting

2 minutes ago, tinfoilhat said:

They get football results right too. This is right, the EU cocked up vaccine rollout and certain leaders made it worse. Doesn't mean to say we wouldn't have gone our own way with vaccines, we went our own way with other things. And it doesn't stop the daily mail still being a hate filled rag I wouldn't wipe my arse with.

I wouldnt know about that , I dont read it or any other paper 

5 minutes ago, hackey lad said:

I wouldnt know about that , I dont read it or any other paper 

Which makes me wonder where a working class bloke gets his rancid right wing reactionary opinions?

It's good you know that for definite.

because the EU vaccine program was voluntary to join, countries were advised to do so on cost basis but no-one was forced into it.

IIRC the EU pay a fair bit less per vaccine dose than we do, down to the collective purchasing they did.

1 hour ago, West 77 said:

If Remain had won the EU referendum the UK would have followed Germany, France etc and relied on the EU to sort out the vaccine program.  

We might have done, we might not have done, no one really knows. I'm quite sure we would have encouraged the EU to make greater efforts to  get things moving much faster  and with our officials available the whole continent, and world might have been in a much better place.  

1 hour ago, West 77 said:

The anti Brexit brigade refuse to accept that the UK vaccine rollout has been so successful because of Brexit.  If Remain had won the EU referendum the UK would have followed Germany, France etc and relied on the EU to sort out the vaccine program.  Hungary were the first EU country to source their own vaccine (Russian) because of the slow  poorEU effort.

And Germany aren't that far behind us now.

2 hours ago, convert said:

By my (admittedly rough and ready) calculations, that makes them about 2 months behind on first vaccine and a month behind on full vaccination. Taking into account the EMA didn't approve the vaccines until over a month after the MHRA they're in a similar position to what we were at the time, particularly with the fully vaccinated.

However, I would have thought this is more for the Coronavirus thread rather than the Brexit one - every country in the EU is free to use the EU procurement program or not. It's up to individual countries to decide.

10 hours ago, West 77 said:

The anti Brexit brigade refuse to accept that the UK vaccine rollout has been so successful because of Brexit.  If Remain had won the EU referendum the UK would have followed Germany, France etc and relied on the EU to sort out the vaccine program.  Hungary were the first EU country to source their own vaccine (Russian) because of the slow  poorEU effort.

You state that the successful vaccine rollout was due to Brexit and then admit that it was up to individual states to chose their own program. Also, if remain had won the referendum Johnson wouldn’t be prime minister and we wouldn’t have had the appalling death toll due to his total lack of leadership.

9 hours ago, John1954 said:

You state that the successful vaccine rollout was due to Brexit and then admit that it was up to individual states to chose their own program. Also, if remain had won the referendum Johnson wouldn’t be prime minister and we wouldn’t have had the appalling death toll due to his total lack of leadership.

I’d argue the fact that the UK death toll is because we have Bojo as PM.

it’s far more complicated than that.

The fact that we have an ageing population, mass obesity, high rates of Diabetes, and to be frank an NHS that is inefficient, are all contributing factors.

Another significant aspect of our COVID death figures has to be the way they have been recorded. 
Looking at our cases per million, we rank 44th in the world at this moment, which to me, considering our population density, is not as bad as it would have been without Government restrictions.

I really have no opinion on it but the thread has been loaded right from the start when the title of the thread begins with consequences, which implied something bad. It could equally have been a loaded, " The benefits of brexit ". What it should have been was a  neutrel,  " The results of brexit".

On 03/05/2021 at 19:38, convert said:

Even better, regarding Brexit:

Of the Conservative party: “political piracy … They will go to any length. The current team in Downing St is not up to the challenges of Brexit nor to the responsibility that is theirs for having wanted Brexit. Simply, I no longer trust them.”

On the UK's civil servants:

"dignified, competent and lucid" but “They have above them a political class who, in part, simply refuse to acknowledge today the direct upshot of the positions they adopted a year ago.”

On Global Britain:

“I do wonder what, until now, has prevented the UK from becoming ‘Global Britain’, other than its own lack of competitiveness. Germany has become ‘Global Germany’ while being firmly inside the EU and the eurozone.”

On May's Lancaster House speech:

“I am astonished at the way she has revealed her cards … before we have even started negotiating.”

“Have the consequences of these decisions been thought through, measured, discussed? Does she realise this rules out almost all forms of cooperation we have with our partners?”

On Boris re: the need for customs and quality checks on the Irish border:

it was “my impression that he became aware, in that discussion, of a series of technical and legal issues that had not been so clearly explained to him by his own team”.

On Nigel Farage:

[behaved] “irresponsibly, with regard to the national interests of their own country. How else could they call on people to make such a serious choice without explaining or detailing to them its consequences?”

On the FTA negotiations:

There remains "real incomprehension, in Britain, of the objective, sometimes mechanical consequences of its choices”

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/may/05/tory-quarrels-betrayals-uk-post-brexit-future-barnier-eu

Edited by Magilla