Consequences Of Brexit [Part 9] Read First Post Before Posting

29 minutes ago, Mr Allen said:

To quote John Cleese back in the mid 70s (see my Fawlty Towers topic) "Don't mention the War! I did once but I think I got away with it!" :D 

it was a long time ago, the world now is very different to the world then both geopolitically and technologically and rather than romanticise a six year period to the point of fetish, maybe we should look forward into the world.....

Edited by andyofborg

4 minutes ago, Baron99 said:

10 out of 10 for effort in trying to link this to Brexit by posting it in this thread but its nothing to do with the UK leaving the EU

Neither was the frost in France! :hihi:

Pretty desperate stuff...

4 minutes ago, Baron99 said:

, as stated by UK Fisheries Chief Executive, Jane Sandell on tonight's Calendar when she was pressed on the matter.   As she said & she aught to know, they are two separate issues. 

Of course, the UK's concerns are nothing whatsoever to the EU ;)

Seems to be going down well...

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-politics-56940914

...oh, no... it's not!

Arlene  figured it out, you..... not so much :P

6 minutes ago, Magilla said:

Neither was the frost in France! :hihi:

Pretty desperate stuff...

Of course, the UK's concerns are nothing whatsoever to the EU ;)

Seems to be going down well...

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-politics-56940914

...oh, no... it's not!

Arlene  figured it out, you..... not so much :P

It not me that correcting you & putting you right but the woman you've decided to quote; UK Fisheries Chief Executive, Jane Sandell. 

I  think she's better qualified to speak on the matter.  I'm sure you could find tonight's edition of Calendar somewhere. 

56 minutes ago, Baron99 said:

It not me that correcting you & putting you right but the woman you've decided to quote; UK Fisheries Chief Executive, Jane Sandell. 

I  think she's better qualified to speak on the matter.  I'm sure you could find tonight's edition of Calendar somewhere. 

She was on skynews earlier today.

https://twitter.com/haggis_uk/status/1388063817624694785?s=12

Edited by Mister Gee

1 hour ago, Baron99 said:

In the article Magilla linked to she also said:

She also criticised the government for failing "to deliver on all of the deals we previously had through the EU with third countries".

"So with the Faroes and Norway, the deals have failed and Greenland they didn't even bother starting," she told Today.

So she thinks the government failed to match the deals we had as part of the EU. How is that not related to Brexit? It's not that surprising that someone in an industry that massively supported Brexit doesn't want to admit the damage to the industry is a result of Brexit and therefore to some extent self inflicted.

I  think she's better qualified to speak on the matter. 

And she's been 100% clear where the fault lies:

"It's a black day.. it's a total disgrace that the UK haven't managed to retain the rights the UK has had for decades, never mind any brexit bonus..."

"European Union boats are fishing in Norwegian waters"

UK fishermen have lost access to Norwegian waters, EU fishermen haven't. It's the opposite of the Brexit bonus they were promised!

I'm sure you could find tonight's edition of Calendar somewhere. 

I did, you need to get your ears checked!

https://www.itv.com/news/calendar/2021-04-30/brexit-is-this-the-end-of-british-fish-and-chips-and-hundreds-of-humberside-jobs

What she clearly says is this issue and the EU paperwork issues fishermen now suffer are not related (because Norway isn't in the EU), but they're both added complications and burdens as a result of Brexit.

38 minutes ago, Magilla said:

And she's been 100% clear where the fault lies:

"It's a black day.. it's a total disgrace that the UK haven't managed to retain the rights the UK has had for decades, never mind any brexit bonus..."

"European Union boats are fishing in Norwegian waters"

UK fishermen have lost access to Norwegian waters, EU fishermen haven't. It's the opposite of the Brexit bonus they were promised!

I did, you need to get your ears checked!

https://www.itv.com/news/calendar/2021-04-30/brexit-is-this-the-end-of-british-fish-and-chips-and-hundreds-of-humberside-jobs

What she clearly says is this issue and the EU paperwork issues fishermen now suffer are not related (because Norway isn't in the EU), but they're both added complications and burdens as a result of Brexit.

And if you let the live interview play on, Jane Sandell CLEARLY states the the Brexit deal is "TOTALLY DIVORCED" from today's breakdown in the talks between the UK & Norway. 

My ears are fine thanks.  I'm clearly not the one who needs the check. 

There are none so blind as those who will not see & now apparently now, none so deaf as those who chose not to hear - for their own agenda. 

It's still raw isn't it, even nearly 5 years on.

Edited by Baron99

16 minutes ago, Baron99 said:

And if you let the live interview play on, Jane Sandell CLEARLY states the the Brexit deal is "TOTALLY DIVORCED" from today's breakdown in the talks between the UK & Norway. 

There are none so blind as those who will not see & now apparently now, none so deaf as those who chose not to hear - for their own agenda. 

It's still raw isn't it, even nearly 5 years on.

You're deliberately conflating the Brexit deal we did with the EU with replacing the deals the EU has with other countries that we lost when we left the EU. The effects of those deals with non EU countries, or lack of them, is a result of Brexit because we wouldn't be negotiating them if we were still in the EU.

If we ever negotiate a deal that's better than the EU have with a country you'll be quick enough to claim it was because of Brexit. You get to own the ones that are worse too.

32 minutes ago, Baron99 said:

Of course it is, that's self evident, Norway isn't in the EU! :loopy:

The consequences of Brexit are not purely related to the Brexit deal the UK strikes with the EU :rolleyes:

The point she so succinctly makes, that seems to have escaped you, is that Brexit is the reason the talks were needed in the first place and that their failure leaves the UK in a worse position than it enjoyed as EU members.

Admittedly, it wasn't on the side of a bus, so understandable you missed it... :thumbsup:

Clearly then, your cognisance isn't! :?

Desperate stuff...

Edited by Magilla

7 minutes ago, altus said:

You're deliberately conflating the Brexit deal we did with the EU with replacing the deals the EU has with other countries that we lost when we left the EU. The effects of those deals with non EU countries, or lack of them, is a result of Brexit because we wouldn't be negotiating them if we were still in the EU.

If we ever negotiate a deal that's better than the EU have with a country you'll be quick enough to claim it was because of Brexit. You get to own the ones that are worse too.

No. I was pointing out where Magilla was trying to mislead people by misrepresenting what Jane Sandell had said. 

I'm quite happy to own things.  I don't know about you but when things don't work out, most people try & find a way of putting them right.  If you suggest that "If we ever negotiate a deal that's better than the EU have with a country", of course people like me will be quick to claim is because of Brexit because we'd have to be outside the EU to make that deal for starters. 

The question is would you then own the disappointment that you were wrong about Brexit or would you continue wear the faux misery & disappointed like a hair shirt?

17 minutes ago, Baron99 said:

No. I was pointing out where Magilla was trying to mislead people by misrepresenting what Jane Sandell had said. 

I haven't misrepresented anything, you have...or should I say, are spectacularly failing in trying to do so! :hihi:

She says it's not related to the the deal the UK struck with the EU...

...no-one ever claimed it was, except you. :?

She quite clearly says the failure to secure a deal, that was only required as a result of Brexit, has left the fishing industry in a worse position.

That is a consequence of Brexit, just as the ramifications of every deal that is required as a result of Brexit will be.

Frost damage to crops though... not so much :loopy:

Edited by Magilla

17 minutes ago, Magilla said:

Of course it is, that's self evident, Norway isn't in the EU! :loopy:

The consequences of Brexit are not purely related to the Brexit deal the UK strikes with the EU :rolleyes:

The point she so succinctly makes, that seems to have escaped you, is that Brexit is the reason the talks were needed in the first place and that their failure leaves the UK in a worse position than it enjoyed as EU members.

Admittedly, it wasn't on the side of a bus, so understandable you missed it... :thumbsup:

Clearly then, your cognisance isn't! :?

Desperate stuff...

Nothing succinct about anything that Jane Sandell says. 

See you've viewed the remainder of the interview then & given up of that argument.   

And the usual sign off from a disgruntled Remainer.  A week or so back, I asked when can w consign the term 'Remainer' to the history books?  Surely after nearly 5 years we drop it.  

I feel a new term is needed after all this time that encompasses the continued, grinding, gut-wrenching, knawing, raw disappointment of perceived failure that just won't allow a person to move on from from a democratic vote that someone believes the result was stolen from them, while the rest just get on with it? 

I'm sure I can come up with a new term given a bit of time but meanwhile, here's a sticking plaster.