Consequences Of Brexit [Part 9] Read First Post Before Posting

(Australian) Liberal MP accuses UK of ‘amateurish’ tactics by insulting Australia’s trade minister

An Australian government MP has blasted the British government’s “amateurish” tactics to influence trade talks between the two countries, suggesting post-Brexit negotiating inexperience could be behind the “megaphone” diplomacy.

Allies of the British trade secretary, Liz Truss, are reported to have disparaged her Australian counterpart, Dan Tehan, as a novice and the cause of “glacially slow” progress on a free trade agreement just before his arrival in London for talks beginning on Thursday.

The Sydney-based Coalition MP Dave Sharma, who is a former Australian ambassador, hit back at what he said were “grossly wrong” comments about Tehan.

“This isn’t the way you conduct negotiations by briefing against your counterpart in public,” Sharma told Sky News Australia on Thursday.

“You’re much better off having frank and fulsome and forthright discussions in private. Using a megaphone to try to conduct them or [to] shame your counterpart is amateurish.”

The government really do need to get their heads around the idea that they've got the behave like grown ups when it comes to international negotiations. Slagging of the EU at every opportunity to cover up the fact that they were never going to give you the unicorns and rainbows trade deal you promised leave voters is one thing, others won't be so patient with us.

(I wasn't sure weather to put this here or in the Conservative Party thread but decided that 'inability to adjust to negotiating trade deals like an adult' is a hang over from Brexit hubris so here was more appropriate.)

45 minutes ago, altus said:

(Australian) Liberal MP accuses UK of ‘amateurish’ tactics by insulting Australia’s trade minister

The government really do need to get their heads around the idea that they've got the behave like grown ups when it comes to international negotiations. Slagging of the EU at every opportunity to cover up the fact that they were never going to give you the unicorns and rainbows trade deal you promised leave voters is one thing, others won't be so patient with us.

(I wasn't sure weather to put this here or in the Conservative Party thread but decided that 'inability to adjust to negotiating trade deals like an adult' is a hang over from Brexit hubris so here was more appropriate.)

I think it's probably doing what Trump did - playing to your base. The idea is that if you can get voter loyalty from enough people to guarantee you election victory, it doesn't matter what else you do or how crap you are or who you alienate: if you can keep your base loyal by getting up to the sort of antics they like then you're golden. This has worked well for Erdogan, Bolsonaro, Modi and the like, and is probably particularly effective in a first past the post system. Either that or they're just idiots. 

UK’s Post-Brexit Mexican Trade Deal Left Obsolete:

https://bylinetimes.com/2021/04/22/uks-post-brexit-mexican-trade-deal-left-obsolete/

"The UK’s trade deal, which was meant to replicate the existing EU deal with Mexico, will now face stiff competition from EU countries, which have negotiated better terms to sell their manufactured goods and other products to Mexico."

I can't work out who's benefiting from that. Hopefully Mexico, who need all the help they can get to normalise their society.

5 hours ago, Delbow said:

I can't work out who's benefiting from that. Hopefully Mexico, who need all the help they can get to normalise their society.

My sombrero's good but I could do with a new poncho, if that helps out? 

37 minutes ago, hackey lad said:

Do the kids still use this term?

We also have "get rekt, scrub" and "Dogshot!" available

43 minutes ago, Delbow said:

We also have "get rekt, scrub" and "Dogshot!" available

Very old school .

4 hours ago, hackey lad said:

That was when I was an angry young man . I have developed since then .

Lol - you've aged a lot in a couple of years then.

I'll keep an eye out for the new "developed" hackey lad.

https://www.sheffieldforum.co.uk/topic/471637-consequences-of-brexit-part-9-read-first-post-before-posting/page/253/?tab=comments#comment-8410138

Looks like the same old, same old so far.

19 hours ago, Longcol said:

Lol - you've aged a lot in a couple of years then.

I'll keep an eye out for the new "developed" hackey lad.

https://www.sheffieldforum.co.uk/topic/471637-consequences-of-brexit-part-9-read-first-post-before-posting/page/253/?tab=comments#comment-8410138

Looks like the same old, same old so far.

I am flattered to have you as a follower .

Sales of milk and cream to EU down 96% and chicken and beef by almost 80%

Brexit: Sales of milk and cream to EU down 96% and chicken and beef by almost 80% | The Independent

Food and Drink Federation pleads with Boris Johnson to ‘urgently’ restart talks to resolve the crisis.

I wonder what Boris Johnson's response will be? After his latest comments about covid victims I dread to think