Consequences Of Brexit [Part 9] Read First Post Before Posting

1 hour ago, Magilla said:

LOL :loopy:

Clearly you have failed to understand the meaning of the word "unless"! :hihi:

Sigh... the nuances of the English language... since my claim is qualified with "unless", that's implicit in the statement :thumbsup:

In other words the media informs us of nothing, it merely speculates, and that alone influences opinion.

Yes you're right about the power of language....

My take on Brexit. 

It's an complete waste of time yeah Brexiteers will shout from the roof tops about the joys of leaving the nasty EU but never give you the benefits of leaving the world's biggest trading block. All I hear is ' take back control' they seem to forget the UK had an large input in the European parliament. Even Thatcher saw the benefits of been in a single market. All I hear on the news is  business after business going to the wall but Brexiteers will say Covid is to blame to a point it is but effects of Brexit go much deeper. The City has lost billions of pounds has banks move their business to the EU home goal that one. Well Boris did say F * business didn't he.  Northern Ireland thrown under the Brexit bus to hell with the Belfast Agreement 

nothing like starting the Troubles' again one here does care I have Irish and Scottish blood in my veins so I do care what happens. Now we are reduced in influence running after any old trade deal then it's held has some great victory when in fact it's an copy and paste deal but on worse terms than before the Japan deal springs to mind. The whole thing is an sick joke . Lorry drivers struggling to do their job has we have lost the freedom of movement which includes goods the single market and custom union removed problems Brexit creates them but hey at least can go about the good of days of empire I sure that will pay the bills.😂

We hear a lot about sovereignty from the leave side but I don't know what that means in today's global interactions. If we do deals with another country or trading block then we have to give up some autonomy in return. During the reign of a previous Elizabeth then we solved this problem with piracy but I even think the Brexit contingent would find that a tad problamatic now.  Any glimmer of sovereignty (outside North Korea and Myanmar ) was proved to be none existent when a man working in Singapore, playing the Japanese stock market, bankrupted a two hundred year old British bank and that was twenty six years ago. (Neither Singapore nor Japan are, or have ever been, in the EU btw.) My fear is that we will be forced into deals where (unlike the EU) we will have no real say. For those leavers who are looking for the comfort of some good news, I hear Mafeking has been relieved.

It seems the cracks are starting to appear in the EU.

56 minutes ago, retep said:

... said someone.... 25 years ago.... :roll:

21 minutes ago, retep said:

A bit more recent than that do keep up,

Frexit fears? Macron warned to learn lessons from UK ‘before it’s too late’

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/europe/frexit-macron-france-eu-b1832854.html

"the poll also showed she would be beaten in a second round between her and Mr Macron, by 54 per cent to 46 per cent."

...and that's a poll taken in the depths of the Covid crisis!

Comments seem pretty accurate though:

"If Brexit has shown the French, one thing, it is how leaving the EU will destroy your economic and your political leverage/future worldwide, as can been seen in the UK's now begging of the smallest of Countries to please give them a (EU duplicate) trade deal. "

No mention of cracks :?

3 hours ago, retep said:

Wrong the EU will get a lot stronger. The UK will become an rusting hulk off the French coast.  The Biden government are very keen to do an deal I doubt the Americans would waste their time on an sinking ship . Theirs money to be made with world's biggest trading block. 

This will upset a few 'intellectually superior' Remainers by bursting a few bubbles. 

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2021/apr/19/half-of-brexit-supporters-were-not-left-behind-red-wall-voters

"The notion that the typical Brexit supporter was a working-class voter “left behind” in a red-wall constituency or dilapidated seaside town has been upended by research that shows half of leave voters were comfortably well off."

“An image of the left-behind leave voter has taken hold: a poorly educated inhabitant of a faded seaside town or the grim, post-industrial north. But we forget too easily that no place (or group of people) is wholly homogenous.

Many people voted for Brexit even in the most pro-remain places; more than a million people in Scotland and 1.5 million in London voted leave,” the report, Comfortable Leavers, says…. However, almost half were “affluent Eurosceptics” who shared the domestic priorities of the poorer cohort – they wanted further investment in police, the NHS and care workers and “proper, secure work for high-quality domestic production, as well as apprenticeship in real jobs”, says the briefing paper."

PS. Please let me know when we can finally drop the term "Remainer"?  Isn't it time it was cast into the bin of political history or do some still wish to wear it a metaphorical badge of suffering? 

4 minutes ago, Baron99 said:

This will upset a few 'intellectually superior' Remainers by bursting a few bubbles. 

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2021/apr/19/half-of-brexit-supporters-were-not-left-behind-red-wall-voters

"The notion that the typical Brexit supporter was a working-class voter “left behind” in a red-wall constituency or dilapidated seaside town has been upended by research that shows half of leave voters were comfortably well off."

“An image of the left-behind leave voter has taken hold: a poorly educated inhabitant of a faded seaside town or the grim, post-industrial north. But we forget too easily that no place (or group of people) is wholly homogenous.

Many people voted for Brexit even in the most pro-remain places; more than a million people in Scotland and 1.5 million in London voted leave,” the report, Comfortable Leavers, says…. However, almost half were “affluent Eurosceptics” who shared the domestic priorities of the poorer cohort – they wanted further investment in police, the NHS and care workers and “proper, secure work for high-quality domestic production, as well as apprenticeship in real jobs”, says the briefing paper."

PS. Please let me know when we can finally drop the term "Remainer"?  Isn't it time it was cast into the bin of political history or do some still wish to wear it a metaphorical badge of suffering? 

I don't call myself an remainer never have but pro European I don't see myself as been superior I'm willing to hear both sides of the debate even if I don't agree with points made. I look at things as their are not what the papers tell me to think. Many voted for Brexit to hit back at Cameron over his cruel policies and the general feeling of not been heard in many areas of the country. Time will tell if these people will come to regret their vote you can paper the cracks over but these cracks will widen in time we are down 47% in trade with the EU around 400,000 jobs have paid for ' taking back control ' slogan . Brexit slogans promised more money for the NHS yes we like to see an proper funded NHS who would not ? You need to look closer to home who's to blame for an underfunded NHS Brexit is not an answer to our problems. 

45 minutes ago, Baron99 said:

who shared the domestic priorities of the poorer cohort – they wanted further investment in police, the NHS and care workers and “proper, secure work for high-quality domestic production, as well as apprenticeship in real jobs”, says the briefing paper."

Wow, they really are going to be disappointed. Proper investment in care workers means taking care provision out of the private sector and back into local authorities because the private companies are always going to prioritise their profits and dividends over everything else - it's why they exist. Does anyone really think this government of spivs are going to do that? 'Proper, secure work'? Like the British Gas workers and loads of others finding themselves on the end of fire-and-rehire practices under cover of the pandemic. Think Johnson is going to ride to the rescue of those workers do they? Jeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeezus.

2 hours ago, Baron99 said:

How so?

The left behind looking for someone to blame for their woes, & the comfortably well off who think Brexit won't effect them too badly... pretty much spot on.

who shared the domestic priorities of the poorer cohort – they wanted further investment in police, the NHS and care workers and “proper, secure work for high-quality domestic production, as well as apprenticeship in real jobs”, says the briefing paper."

Issues that are a result of UK government policy, not EU membership, and that Brexit will exacerbate.

"They believed that Brexit would free up funding for some of this investment"

How daft do you have to be...

...phrases involving the words "gullible", and "turkeys" still hold true.

Edited by Magilla