Consequences Of Brexit [Part 9] Read First Post Before Posting

25 minutes ago, Magilla said:

That donkeywork happens where the money is generated, where wages and tax is paid.

which is the lower end of the scale labour is far cheaper in europe

My point is that in this case it's bad news for the UK, good news for the E

maybe it is but do JD care? nope

They'd have to be paying you to take their goods off their hands then, since we currently enjoy zero tariffs on EU trade...

do you actually know how much tariffs are on certain goods??? have you heard of the general system of preference? did you know some emerging countries pay no tariff due to the GSP? everything imported has a code some tariffs are near to zero anyway.

...everywhere else has the same restrictions.

You don't import and export anything. :?

ha ha ok been importing and exporting for over 30 years into the EU , USA, and UK

Feel free to highlight some EU based distributors moving a thousand jobs into the UK.

i never said there would be

1 hour ago, ab6262 said:

which is the lower end of the scale labour is far cheaper in europe

Average wage isn't that dissimilar between the UK and RoI. They're not moving distribution from the UK because wages are cheaper :?

1 hour ago, ab6262 said:

do you actually know how much tariffs are on certain goods??? have you heard of the general system of preference? did you know some emerging countries pay no tariff due to the GSP? everything imported has a code some tariffs are near to zero anyway.

So which are these countries that have a lower than zero tariff rate?

1 hour ago, ab6262 said:

ha ha ok been importing and exporting for over 30 years into the EU , USA, and UK

LOL, of course you have! :hihi:

i never said there would be

You said "win some lose some". Wins for the UK seem to be a bit thin on the ground?

Edited by Magilla

1 hour ago, CS22 said:

I couldn't spot in the report or video where he was lying, did I miss something? 

Yup, this post. (Not a clue why it isn't including the blockquotes, afraid you'll have to go back a page to see the original)

8 hours ago, tzijlstra said:

So, as it is my lunch-hour, here is a breakdown of the lies: 

Truth: Science funding in the UK is down enormously compared to before Brexit and research institutions across the country have sounded the alarm bell at the lack of commitment from the government to invest in science. 

Truth: Already could do that... It has just become a lot harder to recruit people from the EU though, so overall it is a net-loss. 

Truth: Dyson is HQed in Singapore since 2019. It is no longer a British company therefore. It might want to sell more goods in SEA, but there is no reason to move the entire HQ (and thus tax responsibility) to Singapore, he could have just opened a regional office there, which is what most other companies have done. 

Although the new Points Based System might make it easier for Dyson to hire non-EU engineering talent, it has also lost the ability to hire EU engineering talent without any system required. It is very difficult to see how Dyson wins from the new system...

AstraZeneca is UK/Swedish, it works with an Italian manufacturer after the UK government asked Oxford to work with AZ and then thwarted the production agreement with a US manufacturer. Guess what, 2020 the UK was still operating as part of the EU. Also, I haven't a clue what 'independence of spirit' means but I am fairly sure every nationalist in the world will claim at least something similar. 

Yes it would, as it would be to suggest that you couldn't move to Asia due to the EU. Because you moved to Asia, when the UK was still in the EU. Even though Dyson doesn't say it explicitly, the article is about how it is great to be out of the EU... Smoke, mirrors and all that. 

Edited by tzijlstra

1 hour ago, tzijlstra said:

Yup, this post. (Not a clue why it isn't including the blockquotes, afraid you'll have to go back a page to see the original)

In that post #2962 you stated: "Truth: Science funding in the UK is down enormously compared to before Brexit and research institutions across the country have sounded the alarm bell at the lack of commitment from the government to invest in science." 

Can you provide details with any links to show that is the case as I can't really see much in the way of statistics about the current situation.

A couple of questions as well...

Does your bit of truth take into account the many £millions that the government has pumped into the development of the Coronavirus vaccine and does it factor in the truth that there has also been a 40% drop in applications to Horizon 2020?

Edited by apelike

10 hours ago, apelike said:

In that post #2962 you stated: "Truth: Science funding in the UK is down enormously compared to before Brexit and research institutions across the country have sounded the alarm bell at the lack of commitment from the government to invest in science." 

Can you provide details with any links to show that is the case as I can't really see much in the way of statistics about the current situation.

A couple of questions as well...

Does your bit of truth take into account the many £millions that the government has pumped into the development of the Coronavirus vaccine and does it factor in the truth that there has also been a 40% drop in applications to Horizon 2020?

Wellcome Trust welcomes participation in Horizon 2020 but warns that there are plenty of hurdles left: https://cms.wellcome.org/sites/default/files/2021-01/what-does-the-uk-eu-post-brexit-deal-mean-for-health-and-research.pdf

EU students now have to pay full International Student Fee to study at UK Universities: Applications down 40 %.  This last year there were 150,000 EU students. 

Since January 1st the UK no longer participates in ERDF (European Regional Development Fund) this fund was used, amongst others, to fund the AMRC Factory 2050 and other key investments in Sheffield's research environment. 

The loss of Erasmus+ means that UK Universities in European Research Alliances are unclear as to whether they can remain partners, the UK government has not committed any funding towards this significant group of partnerships. 

Although commitment to Horizon Europe is welcome, this is a limited time agreement. Once Horizon Europe ends (2027) there is no agreement in place. 

The fall in International Development Funding in the UK directly impacts on Universities that used the money to work with parties in nations eligible for this funding. 

The millions the government has pumped into Covid Vaccines were welcome investments, but clearly one-off. They also only arrive at a very narrow field in Universities and then only at very few Universities. This money has done very little to structurally improve the research landscape for the UK.

So, in sum, my bit of truth is seeing Universities shedding staff at enormous pace, not due to Covid, this is something that started with the Brexit referendum, UoS and my current employer have had several rounds of voluntary redundancy already. The department I work in has seen at least 50% of senior staff roles disappear. A further 25% squeeze on basic front-of-house roles. We have programmes where a recruitment stop essentially meant that lecturers had to spend all their time trying to keep things spinning, whilst coping with the pandemic and learning to deliver from their kitchen table instead of in a lecture theatre. Internally all our communications about cuts are linked directly to Brexit, externally there is no such signal because it would potentially harm the position of the university with the government, not to mention that it isn't a great marketing message to potential students when you have to explain why you cut your staffing levels with 10% across the board, again.

I haven't provided many links, you can Google :)

Edited by tzijlstra

13 hours ago, Magilla said:

Average wage isn't that dissimilar between the UK and RoI. They're not moving distribution from the UK because wages are cheaper :?

again you dont know a deal about how it works in Eire😅

So which are these countries that have a lower than zero tariff rate?

where did i say lower than zero, i said zero or almost zero that it makes no difference

LOL, of course you have! :hihi:

whatever you say😁

You said "win some lose some". Wins for the UK seem to be a bit thin on the ground?

really? uk seems to be doing ok and better in some quarters FTSe never been higher

12 minutes ago, ab6262 said:

where did i say lower than zero

"not necessarily a lot of countries outside EU have far lower tariffs and restrictions,"

Tariffs on UK goods entering the EU are zero... :?

Edited by Magilla

4 minutes ago, Magilla said:

"not necessarily a lot of countries outside EU have far lower tariffs and restrictions,"

Tariffs on UK goods entering the EU are zero... :?

goods entering the eu from uk now are not zero but the goods entering EU from far east and other areas are not zero necessarily depends on what it is, italy & spain for example have a bigger import tariff on shoes, trainers all footwear as they produce these type of goods and it is supposed to protect the home market.

as i said before some emerging nations like pakistan where i import a lot from has a very good GSP rate on certain items, also India, Africa and some middle east get almost zero rates. 

27 minutes ago, West 77 said:

Thanks to the post Brexit trade agreement the UK made with the EU the tariffs are exactly the same as before the UK left the EU.  It goes without saying there are rules regarding the original origin of goods and the UK are now free to make their own trade agreements throughout the global World. It's interesting that Sir James Dyson sees the future in global terms which the UK can take more advantage of now they have left the EU.  It must be a worry for the remaining EU members that they are going to be left behind in the new post Brexit global age.

But... what exactly is the UK doing now that it couldn't do as part of the EU? All those countries 'we are going to get world beating deals' with, are already in far negotiation with the EU, the UK has just put itself at the back of the queue. The PBS for immigration could already have been implemented, the EU was not preventing that. 

You and many Brexiteers alongside you keep saying the EU must be worried for this 'global age' or the 'golden dawn of Brexit UK'. Can we at least hear what the tangible effects are? 

As I have said before we do not have the financial clout to do balanced trade deals with significant partners.  The one with Japan shows this where we are left with the crumbs from the EU table. (I do hope those crumbs are enough to keep Japanese companies here and supporting crucial jobs.) With Germany leading the way for a deal for the EU with India, I hope that we too can get an equal arrangement but I fear the same outcome. Hope I'm wrong.

29 minutes ago, West 77 said:

You have the same mindset has the Luddites had at the start of the industrial revolution.  Brexit has always been a long term project meaning the tangible positive long term benefits will be enjoyed after years rather than a few months.  The biggest positive so far has been the huge success of the UK vaccine program that prove a sovereign nation outside the EU can benefit in a global World.  British entrepreneurs like Sir James Dyson were the exception and supported Brexit which the majority of big business didn't.  Big business also didn't support the abolition of the slave trade at the time for the same reasons big business didn't want the UK to leave the EU.  In one hundred years time history will judge the likes of Nigel Farage, Sir James Dyson and Tim Martin in the same was as the pioneers to abolish the same slave trade are judged today.  Britain has a long history of being World pioneers thanks to the likes of Thomas Clarkson , William Wilberforce and George Stephenson.  

You're equating the actions of William Wilberforce with those of Nigel Farage. Seriously?

10 minutes ago, Bargepole23 said:

You're equating the actions of William Wilberforce with those of Nigel Farage. Seriously?

He is! He really is!