Consequences Of Brexit [Part 9] Read First Post Before Posting

10 hours ago, apelike said:

I think it was the former and for many just an ego trip to get Brexit passed.

It was probably the case for some. I think the hardcore Brexit at any cost brigade were more likely be to in  the say anything to get people to vote for Brexit group. Look at the Farage's Nazi propaganda inspired queue of migrants photo and the official leave campaign's Turkey's about to join the EU and 80 million people will want to move to the UK leaflet.

Does anyone think the next EU treaty will go for further integration, or less?

14 hours ago, apelike said:

Ahh, but I asked first..... :) 

If it cannot be explained why or how a hard Brexit has been catastrophic (a failure or disaster) then I don't need to put forward any explanation about it being a success.

I think that you will find many instances questioning the wisdom of Brexit long before your post,and which have been answered in terms of Sovereignty and border control.

Our supposed freedom to trade with the rest of the world on our own terms was always a bit of a stretch and increased friction with the EU,coupled with a global tendency towards protectionism makes this a more distant fantasy.

Ease of trade between countries is a hard won and necessary feature of the global economy for small businesses,and major industries,and we as a nett importer will sustain damage to our economy.

Even the vaccines,which some would claim to be a positive of Brexit,are dependant on hundreds of component parts from around the world,as are their production sites.

Over to you for the benefits.

20 minutes ago, RJRB said:

I think that you will find many instances questioning the wisdom of Brexit long before your post,and which have been answered in terms of Sovereignty and border control.

Our supposed freedom to trade with the rest of the world on our own terms was always a bit of a stretch and increased friction with the EU,coupled with a global tendency towards protectionism makes this a more distant fantasy.

Ease of trade between countries is a hard won and necessary feature of the global economy for small businesses,and major industries,and we as a nett importer will sustain damage to our economy.

Even the vaccines,which some would claim to be a positive of Brexit,are dependant on hundreds of component parts from around the world,as are their production sites.

Over to you for the benefits.

But you still have not answered the question posed in post #2921 on how a hard Brexit has been catastrophic!

21 minutes ago, apelike said:

But you still have not answered the question posed in post #2921 on how a hard Brexit has been catastrophic!

Catastrophic is your terminology.

I prefer retrograde,ill considered,damaging and a costly exercise based on falsehoods and phobias fed to a gullible electorate,by a far right bunch of self serving loonies.

You bought it and will now pay for it

2 hours ago, apelike said:

The U.K. has already suffered from Brexit. The economy has slowed, and many businesses have moved their headquarters to the EU. The Netherlands has lured 140 Brexit-wary companies since the 2016 referendum to quit the EU, it was claimed in February. That is just one country.

https://www.euronews.com/2020/02/19/brexit-number-of-companies-relocating-to-the-netherlands-is-accelerating

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/business/news/brexit-no-deal-uk-netherlands-company-relocation-a9080666.html

4 hours ago, RJRB said:

Catastrophic is your terminology.

No it was terminology used by sibon in post #2908 which is why I asked the poster in what way it had been catastrophic, which I never got a reply to. You then decided to try using a strawman to turn the discussion your way as you really can't accept that Brexit has not been catastrophic.

I prefer retrograde,ill considered,damaging and a costly exercise based on falsehoods and phobias fed to a gullible electorate,by a far right bunch of self serving loonies.

See above.

You bought it and will now pay for it

The way things have gone over the past year or so the cost of covid will overtake any shortcomings Brexit may have and we all will be paying for that.

Edited by apelike

37 minutes ago, apelike said:

The way things have gone over the past year or so the cost of covid will overtake any shortcomings Brexit may have and we all will be paying for that.

No-one thinks that is likely, be that the UK government, the BofE, or the LSE.

https://ukandeu.ac.uk/the-uk-economy-brexit-vs-covid-19/

"simple arithmetic shows that, in present value terms, Brexit is expected to be by far the bigger shock"

The Brexit deal is done but the damage to the UK economy is just getting started:

https://qz.com/1950179/a-brexit-deal-is-done-but-the-uk-economic-impact-is-just-starting/

Britain has punched itself in the face

Meanwhile, loyalist protests against the N.I.Protocol arranged for Friday evening were cancelled as a mark of respect for Prince Philip :thumbsup:

Edited by Magilla

Guest sibon
1 hour ago, apelike said:

No it was terminology used by sibon in post #2908 which is why I asked the poster in what way it had been catastrophic, which I never got a reply to. You then decided to try using a strawman to turn the discussion your way as you really can't accept that Brexit has not been catastrophic.

See above.

You aren’t automatically entitled to a reply, you know. In your case, you only ask questions to derail debate, and I’m not playing.

We can all see the damage that has been caused by Brexit, pretending otherwise is disingenuous. I’ll leave you to look up the accounts of firms who can’t trade properly with the EU, the examples of fishermen who can sell their catch, and many other impediments to trade with our most important partners.

I do agree that Covid could easily end up costing more than Brexit. However Brexit was self-harm and covid was not.

1 hour ago, apelike said:

See above.

Shall we just call it disastrous and proceed to catastrophic when suitable.

I would really like a few pointers as to why and how it is beneficial and successful as promised by some and believed by others,and this is not a straw man ,just an invitation for you to clarify what others don’t see.

4 hours ago, sibon said:

You aren’t automatically entitled to a reply, you know. In your case, you only ask questions to derail debate, and I’m not playing.

Playing or not it was you who said it was a catastrophic disaster so it's up to you to explain why it was and so far you have not been able to do that. I asked you to explain why it has been catastrophic and you have failed to do so.

We can all see the damage that has been caused by Brexit, pretending otherwise is disingenuous.

We, who is this we? And no its not disingenuous as it's you that has to show and prove what damage has occured and so far all we have is "MAY"

I’ll leave you to look up the accounts of firms who can’t trade properly with the EU, the examples of fishermen who can sell their catch, and many other impediments to trade with our most important partners.

So it seems you cannot explain what catastrophic means! 

I do agree that Covid could easily end up costing more than Brexit. However Brexit was self-harm and covid was not.

Does that matter? It's about what is happening now and nothing less.

Edited by apelike

Come on everyone, time for a celebration. It's 100 days exactly since the UK finally left the EU.   Here's to the next milestone, a further 900 days on. 

Time to break out the drinks.  Sadly it doesn't look as though there will be much in way of the French grape juice around in the coming months.

https://www.france24.com/en/video/20210409-most-of-france-s-grape-harvest-destroyed

But never mind, here's a great opportunity for the UK to sell our award winning wines to the French, to help them through the upcoming months.