Consequences Of Brexit [Part 9] Read First Post Before Posting

28 minutes ago, apelike said:

Thank you for your measured reply. At least some on here have the intelligence to understand what was said. ;)

We understood your point, it was just the wrong point!

Just now, Delbow said:

Indeed!

2 hours ago, Delbow said:

Sorry about that :) ,  which was the right one then?

Edited by apelike

7 hours ago, Delbow said:

And that's the nub in the context of the riots and threats. The Unionists have always been very needy of the British government's approval and a sense of a 'special' status, despite a lack of enthusiasm for them on the mainland. Since the Good Friday agreement and the loss of any special status, symbolism has taken on even greater importance for the diehard Loyalists, so the symbolism of a border in the Irish Sea is intolerable to them. I suspect they know the game is up, and that the days of NI existing independently of the Republic are numbered.

The biggest mistake the Unionist politicians made was actually believing a single word coming out of Boris Johnson’s mouth. When he got on stage and said that NI wouldn’t be treated any different than the rest of the UK the DUP were still in a party mood after getting their bung from Theresa May.  They’ve been done up like a kipper and are currently blaming everyone but themselves for the mess they have helped to create. Hopefully they know now to never trust a Tory.

15 minutes ago, Mister Gee said:

The biggest mistake the Unionist politicians made was actually believing a single word coming out of Boris Johnson’s mouth. When he got on stage and said that NI wouldn’t be treated any different than the rest of the UK the DUP were still in a party mood after getting their bung from Theresa May.  They’ve been done up like a kipper and are currently blaming everyone but themselves for the mess they have helped to create. Hopefully they know now to never trust a Tory.

"The Conservative and Unionist Party" 😂

1 minute ago, Delbow said:

"The Conservative and Unionist Party" 😂

Always makes me laugh as well.

9 hours ago, West 77 said:

The UK again having more freedom to set our own laws and punishments is a positive consequence of Brexit.

Anything to avoid condemning the lawless mob who are rioting on the streets in the UK, eh?

I would argue there is a significant difference between condemning a 'lawless mob' and advocating for corporal punishment for that mob (and everybody else not deemed to uphold your high standards). 

8 minutes ago, West 77 said:

Firstly the DUP never received a bung. They negotiated for more investment in the infrastructure for Northern Ireland which was a benefit for all citizens of Northern Ireland. Secondly as already been pointed out the official name of the Tory party is  The Conservative and Unionist Party.  The Tory party don't field any candidates for general elections in Northern Ireland.  Thirdly the DUP were hardly going to allow the Labour party to take power after Theresa May lost her majority in 2017 when the Labour party was led by Gerry Adam's mate Jeremy Corbyn a well known IRA sympathiser and supporter. 

What a cavalcade of nonsense.

49 minutes ago, West 77 said:

Firstly the DUP never received a bung. They negotiated for more investment . . .

So, a bribe then ?

Edited by The Joker

2 hours ago, The Joker said:

So, a bribe then ?

Yep, that would seem the correct terminology. 'Prop up our non-government and we'll spend more money in NI'

But we'll shaft you later.

Interesting take on Loyalism and Unionism here from Bernadette Devlin McAliskey.

Loyalism is clearly differentiated in the North from Unionism. Unionists are middle class; they believe that their interests are best served by maintaining the current situation, British control of this part of the island. They’re like Falkland Islanders, in that sense.

Loyalism’s hallmark is that it represents the poor. Loyalists are working class or unemployed. As the American system disgracefully refers to some of its poorest people as “white trash,” loyalists are perceived within British nationalism as an underclass.

Many from loyalist communities have internalized that themselves. When I work with people from that background I’m often surprised that they will set on the table first, “Okay, so, we know we are no good.” I have talked to young loyalists who say, “We know we are scum.”

I don’t understand any human being starting a conversation saying that they are not human. I ask them why they start that way. There is a clear lack of self-esteem and also a loss of confidence.

If you think about the “dissidence” in poor nationalist communities among people who gained nothing from the struggle despite giving so much, the sense in the loyalist community is that they actually lost. They lost to everybody despite unwavering loyalty to the regime, even to those who challenged it by force. The anger in loyalist communities is fueled by them still not having the price of a loaf and seeing Martin McGuinness up running the country.

Loyalists are acutely aware of the swaggering new rich on the Catholic side. You saw this during the recent flag protests here, where the first response was to mock the way loyalist people said the word “fleg.” The attitude among some was, “You can’t even spell it or say it right, but I am inside City Hall looking out at you.”

Add to that a sense of betrayal over Brexit because they got used by the Tories, and it's not surprising there are riots.

56 minutes ago, West 77 said:

has nothing at all to with Brexit.

Keep telling yourself this. Repeat every day "Nothing bad can come of Brexit. My actions have only good consequences."