Consequences Of Brexit [Part 9] Read First Post Before Posting

1 hour ago, the_bloke said:

What is it you are trying to send?

Which bit have you never done before?

Did you struggle with the Parcelforce digital form here? https://www.postoffice.co.uk/mail/customs-forms/digital-customs-form

a bike frame.

occasionally, i buy old bike frames/parts, i build them up into a bike, use it for a year or 2, then sell it (i don't make any money, but more or less break-even)

this time i've sold a frame to a collector who lives in italy.

i've never had to fill in customs forms before. And it seems like i (or the buyer) need to pay VAT and customs duty, when and at what rate, i don't know. do i/we need to pay export AND import VAT + duty ? : it looks like it...

i can't tell if i need the CN22, or the CN23  - even if i can work it out, how do i show my working ? - do i need to show my working ? - where do i show my working ?

this is all a bit complicated for selling some old junk on ebay.

next time, to avoid all this hassle, i just won't buy from /sell to the EU. (lots of EU suppliers are refusing to sell to the UK - they're just single operators like me, who can blame them?)

Edited by ads36

13 minutes ago, West 77 said:

because you never sent a bike frame  to Italy before the UK left the EU or the transition period.

yes i have.

(well, Sweden, Germany, Spain)

it was easy, i just sent it.

Edited by ads36

Just now, West 77 said:

Your issue is nothing to do with Brexit because you never sent a bike frame  to Italy before the UK left the EU or the transition period.  Just for completeness both before and after Brexit it didn't and doesn't make sense to offer something on sale to anyone in Italy if you haven't done your homework regarding shipping costs and import/export tariffs involved.

No.

I'm afraid it's everything to do with Brexit.

Before Brexit, you'd just contact a courier company, arrange pickup and payment, and that was it.

Your package would be collected by the courier company, and be delivered a couple of days later.

Now post-Brexit, unless you want your package to be delayed or returned, you must supply the following:

• An EORI number
  • A commodity code
  • A commercial invoice
  • and ensure you're up-to-date on any taxes or import charges the recipient will be liable for.

Now, since you're so delighted with Brexit, why you don't you offer some assistance instead of talking nonsense?

There's a good chap.

1 minute ago, West 77 said:

About ten years ago ... DHL picked them up without any hassle from me.   Nothing has changed for me since Brexit because I still avoid unnecessary hassle just like I did before the UK left the EU.

is this a parody account ?

12 minutes ago, ads36 said:

is this a parody account ?

sorry, were you expecting constructive advice?

1 hour ago, West 77 said:

Personally I'm not bothered about the Northern Ireland protocol but I don't have a problem should the UK government act unilaterally and make changes they feel fit in the best interest of Northern Ireland or any part of the UK.  

Of course you aren't bothered, which is evident from your statement. That is exactly the problem with the UK voting to leave the EU, it was a vote won on the back of disengaged English and Welsh voters with no regard for NI or Scotland. 

As you haven't got a problem with unilateral solutions, please do suggest them. I don't think there are any, but I'm happy to stand corrected by someone who clearly has thought long and hard about the consequences of Brexit, like you have. 

Just now, West 77 said:

I cared about Northern Ireland exactly the same as the vast majority of remain voters did when I placed my tick in the ballot box for the EU referendum. Let's not pretend the vast majority of remain voters were bothered or influenced by the Northern Ireland situation when they made their choice at the ballot box.  It was only after leave had won the EU referendum vote that significant  remain voters  became bothered about the Northern Ireland situation.  Let's not forget 350 thousand voters in Northern Ireland's tiny electoral number who are part of the UK voted to leave the EU were on the winning side of the EU referendum vote.

Personally, I could not care less if Northern Oirland was to sink into the Irish Sea; in fact, it would save the rest of Great Britain a lot of money.

Unfortunately, Brexiters demand that we secure our borders to stop EU migration and non-EU migration, which means we must have a physical border between the United Kingdom and the rest of the EU.

This means a physical border between Northern Oirland (which is part of the United Kingdom, and not in the EU) and the Republic of Ireland (which is in the EU, and not in the UK).

So, what's your answer?  Whatever it is, make it quick.

The Sectarian Bigots of the DUP, and their drug-dealing allies the South East Antrim UDA, are already out causing violence on the streets of Northern Oirland.  They've throwing petrol bombs for the last week now.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2021/apr/05/further-violence-breaks-out-in-northern-ireland-despite-appeals-for-calm

Further violence breaks out in Northern Ireland despite appeals for calm

Violence has broken out once more on the streets of Northern Ireland, despite appeals for calm.

A car was set alight in Sperrin Park in the Waterside area of Derry, while there were also reports of violent incidents in Carrickfergus, near Belfast. Both locations have been the scene of violence and unrest among the loyalist community in recent days.

On Sunday night, five police officers sustained injuries after being pelted with petrol bombs and masonry in Belfast, bringing the total number of police injured in incidents in Derry and Belfast over the Easter weekend to 32.

Ch Supt Davy said the attacks were “clearly orchestrated”. He added: “I believe that there’s a small group of disaffected criminal elements that are clearly involved in influencing young people, and I would appeal to young people in those areas not to allow this to happen.

“I think it’s also fair to say that there’s probably no coincidence to this. We have been successful in that area in respect on some of these criminal gangs. So I think that this perhaps has been a reaction from some of those people who are involved in criminality.”

Asked if he thought the South Antrim UDA were behind the attacks, he replied: “As I said, I believe that this is a group of disaffected criminal gangs and we will investigate that.”

On Monday night, a masked loyalist band marched through the streets of Portadown, playing drums and flutes and waving flags. Sinn Féin MLA John O’Dowd condemned the march, which he said was intended to intimidate the local community.

Children as young as 12 have been involved in some of the incidents that have taken place over the weekend, police said.

Tensions have soared within the loyalist community in recent months over post-Brexit trading arrangements, which it is claimed have created barriers between Northern Ireland and the rest of the UK.

Anger ramped up further last week following a controversial decision not to prosecute 24 Sinn Féin politicians for attending a large-scale republican funeral during Covid-19 restrictions.

Meanwhile, in County Antrim, a recent series of drug seizures against the South East Antrim UDA – a renegade faction of the main grouping – have caused particular ill-feeling towards police. The faction is believed to have been behind the disturbances in Newtownabbey on Saturday.

Oh yes, those so-called Loyalists are still out at night baiting the taigs, too.  That'll bring peace to the Catholic and Protestant communities, won't it?

Do you think if Northern Oiland sinks into the Irish Sea, it will put those fires out?

14 minutes ago, West 77 said:

I cared about Northern Ireland exactly the same as the vast majority of remain voters did when I placed my tick in the ballot box for the EU referendum.

LOL, nonsense!

You voted for a border that you knew would imperil the peace process, those who voted remain didn't.

4 hours ago, ads36 said:

a bike frame.

occasionally, i buy old bike frames/parts, i build them up into a bike, use it for a year or 2, then sell it (i don't make any money, but more or less break-even)

this time i've sold a frame to a collector who lives in italy.

i've never had to fill in customs forms before. And it seems like i (or the buyer) need to pay VAT and customs duty, when and at what rate, i don't know. do i/we need to pay export AND import VAT + duty ? : it looks like it...

i can't tell if i need the CN22, or the CN23  - even if i can work it out, how do i show my working ? - do i need to show my working ? - where do i show my working ?

this is all a bit complicated for selling some old junk on ebay.

next time, to avoid all this hassle, i just won't buy from /sell to the EU. (lots of EU suppliers are refusing to sell to the UK - they're just single operators like me, who can blame them?)

Looks like you need to complete a simple old fashioned Pro forma invoice for shipping,

plenty of templates and videos online to help with that, have a google.

1 hour ago, West 77 said:

I cared about Northern Ireland exactly the same as the vast majority of remain voters did when I placed my tick in the ballot box for the EU referendum. Let's not pretend the vast majority of remain voters were bothered or influenced by the Northern Ireland situation when they made their choice at the ballot box.  It was only after leave had won the EU referendum vote that significant  remain voters  became bothered about the Northern Ireland situation.  Let's not forget 350 thousand voters in Northern Ireland's tiny electoral number who are part of the UK voted to leave the EU were on the winning side of the EU referendum vote.

I'm not going to trawl through my thousands of posts here, but I can assure you this: I posted time and time again that Brexit would have a devastating effect on Northern Ireland's peace. I wasn't alone, so frankly, I don't really care for your statement. 

19 hours ago, West 77 said:

I cared about Northern Ireland exactly the same as the vast majority of remain voters did when I placed my tick in the ballot box for the EU referendum. Let's not pretend the vast majority of remain voters were bothered or influenced by the Northern Ireland situation when they made their choice at the ballot box. 

hang on.

when i voted to remain, it was because leaving the EU would obviously be a bad move, for lots of things.

but you appear to be assigning equal blame to those who voted to avoid all this trouble, *and* those who voted in a way that would clearly lead to it? - we're all equally culpable ? : "exactly the same" (your words).

with regards to the bike frame, i've given up. i've cancelled the sale, and re-listed with no 'overseas' option, it's just too complicated. 

there are forms to fill in, i don't really know which forms, or how to get them. and i'll bet anyone a quid that the desk clerk at my local PO has no idea what  a C22b form is...

there's VAT to pay -  i don't know how, or how much

there's customs fees to pay - i don't know how, or how much

at the other end, it seems the buyer has to pay VAT and customs fees, neither of us know how, or how much.

remember that i'm not 'in the business', i'm just a hobby-ist, trying to sell something on ebay

(right now, i'm trying to source some spokes, Belgian spokes - they're the best. Guess what, it's a pain, and the price has gone up)

Edited by ads36

48 minutes ago, ads36 said:

hang on.

when i voted to remain, it was because leaving the EU would obviously be a bad move, for lots of things.

but you appear to be assigning equal blame to those who voted to avoid all this trouble, *and* those who voted in a way that would clearly lead to it? - we're all equally culpable ? : "exactly the same" (your words).

with regards to the bike frame, i've given up. i've cancelled the sale, and re-listed with no 'overseas' option, it's just too complicated. 

there are forms to fill in, i don't really know which forms, or how to get them. and i'll bet anyone a quid that the desk clerk at my local PO has no idea what  a C22b form is...

there's VAT to pay -  i don't know how, or how much

there's customs fees to pay - i don't know how, or how much

at the other end, it seems the buyer has to pay VAT and customs fees, neither of us know how, or how much.

remember that i'm not 'in the business', i'm just a hobby-ist, trying to sell something on ebay

(right now, i'm trying to source some spokes, Belgian spokes - they're the best. Guess what, it's a pain, and the price has gone up)

If they send the spokes from Belgium, you'll be paying VAT on the purchase (although they won't be charging VAT at the sellers end. Might be an admin fee, depending on origin (are they made in Belgium or just a Belgian brand) you might pay a customs fee. Couriers will be handling all that and most will want the money before the goods are delivered.