Consequences Of Brexit [Part 9] Read First Post Before Posting

13 hours ago, RJRB said:

On reflection I retract much of my off the top of my head comments,because there are many European examples of working coalitions because no single party can command an overall majority.

Perhaps in some respects it is to our detriment that in Britain we usually do.

I would love to see a more consensual approach rather than continue with the confrontational politics that usually obtains.

Just to keep on thread I don’t think that Brexit will take us in that direction.Rather the opposite.

Agreed. The benefits to our country would be immense, in terms of a reasonably consistent and long term approach to education, health care, infrastructure, industry, and all the other areas of public life and services which are first pulled in one direction, then another. All dependent on which party is in power. The waste of time, progress and money in such processes is enormous.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2021/feb/06/fury-at-gove-as-exports-to-eu-slashed-by-68-since-brexit

This appears to be one of the the teething problems that Gove warned us about,but it seems that he has done little to prepare for the predicted issues,and is not responding to the real concerns of exporters and hauliers.

8 hours ago, RJRB said:

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2021/feb/06/fury-at-gove-as-exports-to-eu-slashed-by-68-since-brexit

This appears to be one of the the teething problems that Gove warned us about,but it seems that he has done little to prepare for the predicted issues,and is not responding to the real concerns of exporters and hauliers.

did you really expect him too?

3 hours ago, andyofborg said:

did you really expect him too?

I expect him to prepare for a leadership challenge.

1 hour ago, tinfoilhat said:

I expect him to prepare for a leadership challenge.

I'm sure he is and has been for ages

On 04/02/2021 at 12:48, Anna B said:

Do you honestly think the Greens or Lib Dems are ever going to get enough votes to form a government?

They've formed more governments than old labour have in the last 50 years

Lobster business winds up due to Brexit

Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't Gove state that his father's fish business went bust because of joining the EU, and that this was a reason to leave? If so, wouldn't this guy's business going under due to leaving be a reason for... staying in? 

3 hours ago, Delbow said:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't Gove state that his father's fish business went bust because of joining the EU, and that this was a reason to leave? If so, wouldn't this guy's business going under due to leaving be a reason for... staying in? 

You are correct that Gove claimed that was the case.

In fact, the business was voluntarily sold as a going concern, it didn't go bust:

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2016/jun/15/michael-gove-father-company-eu-policies-fish-processing-aberdeen

Edited by Magilla

3 hours ago, Delbow said:

the bloke who owns it wanted to stay in

2 minutes ago, the_bloke said:

Well that's 4 people unemployed then. They only had four years to prepare for Brexit.

Not sure they could have prepared. Leaving the SM and CU is a major restructuring and obviously (as we now are seeing) many businesses are simply unviable outside it.