Consequences Of Brexit [Part 9] Read First Post Before Posting

6 hours ago, RJRB said:

It’s applying to join an organisation of countries,the majority of which we already have deals with.

Just a bit of good news spin.

Good news, agreeing to let in cheap imports, with zero taxation?

2 hours ago, Magilla said:

Aye, mostly for the Japanese :?

Not entirely sure if anyone promised the benefits of brexit would actually be for us.....

34 minutes ago, West 77 said:

That is my concern with countries like Mexico being in the group.  The US joining wouldn't be a problem but I can't see any positives if China were allowed to join.  However cheap Labour countries like Slovakia have been allowed to join the EU where much car manufacturing has moved to from other areas of the EU.  Brexit is an opportunity to reduce the balance of trade deficit meaning agreeing trade deals with other blocs might not help to  maximise the benefits of Brexit.

if the people who we do deals with don't see a benefit too then they wont do the deal. 

1 hour ago, West 77 said:

That is my concern with countries like Mexico being in the group.  Brexit is an opportunity to reduce the balance of trade deficit meaning agreeing trade deals with other blocs might not help to  maximise the benefits of Brexit.

What are the benefits of Brexit?

They are all just playing at politics, a free trade deal means nothing. Even the EU puts tariffs on some imports.

Its only food that we dont tax. All the different Government talk about a climate emergency, yet they WANT products being shipped around the world.

I can buy something cheaper from China than I can something made locally.

On 30/12/2020 at 19:22, Bargepole23 said:

All passporting rights for UK financial services firms are gone.

EU manufacturers have tariff free access to UK markets.

Mission accomplished?

Has the Eone eleven n ow ceased and no one with a british passport will be able to get any medical support or have they made other medical support  for 

travelors .     If so this is devistating 

7 minutes ago, spider1 said:

Has the Eone eleven n ow ceased and no one with a british passport will be able to get any medical support or have they made other medical support  for 

travelors .     If so this is devistating 

E111 - blimey, that's a blast from the past :) They were called EHIC cards recently and if you've got one it's still valid until it expires. If you haven't got one or it's expired then you can apply for a GHIC, which in theory, conveys the same cover.

https://www.gov.uk/global-health-insurance-card

Edited by whiteowl

9 hours ago, West 77 said:

I agree existing trade deals in place mean  there will be little benefits in the short term. However sectors such  as digital trade like what  the new agreement with Japan contains have potential benefits for the future.  Also the US are likely to apply to join sooner or later.  The big issue is whether China will ever be allowed to join the group which was originally set up to compete against them.  

The UK-Japan deal removes privacy and data protections for UK citizens (not just with Japan, it allows UK data to be forwarded on to other countries - such as the US). It may also result in the UK losing data protection adequacy with the EU, meaning data UK businesses would lose work processing the data on EU citizens they currently do.

The CPTPP is likely to make the situation worse. What other things will we have to give up?

I do find it surprising that people who where so adamant that they don't want to be part of an organisation we spent over 40 years influencing to our benefit are so happy to join (and accept all the conditions of) one we had no part of defining.

11 minutes ago, altus said:

The UK-Japan deal removes privacy and data protections for UK citizens (not just with Japan, it allows UK data to be forwarded on to other countries - such as the US). It may also result in the UK losing data protection adequacy with the EU, meaning data UK businesses would lose work processing the data on EU citizens they currently do.

The CPTPP is likely to make the situation worse. What other things will we have to give up?

I do find it surprising that people who where so adamant that they don't want to be part of an organisation we spent over 40 years influencing to our benefit are so happy to join (and accept all the conditions of) one we had no part of defining.

My bold.

Go on, I'll ask?   

47 years we were part of the Common Market / EEC / EC / EU.   Please provide 4 examples, (one for each decade), where the UK directly influenced & change the minds of the 28 countries of the EU or influenced and / or changed the minds of the EU Commission and / or altered its policies, resulting in the benefits to the UK? 

Give us some details and dates?   You seem adamant we did influence them & there were benefits? 

56 minutes ago, Baron99 said:

My bold.

Go on, I'll ask?   

47 years we were part of the Common Market / EEC / EC / EU.   Please provide 4 examples, (one for each decade), where the UK directly influenced & change the minds of the 28 countries of the EU or influenced and / or changed the minds of the EU Commission and / or altered its policies, resulting in the benefits to the UK? 

Give us some details and dates?   You seem adamant we did influence them & there were benefits? 

Here are three off the top of my head:

1) We kept Sterling andf did not join the Euro

2) Maggie Thatcher won us an annual £4 billion EU rebate, until Tony Blair gave it back

3) In 2007, the UK imposed a 5-year temporary ban on Romanian and Bulgarian citizens from living and working in the UK.

2 hours ago, Baron99 said:

My bold.

Go on, I'll ask?   

In reality, it'd be easier and far shorter to list areas where the UK hasn't had significant influence.

https://blogs.lse.ac.uk/brexit/2018/07/09/british-influence-in-brussels-had-been-far-greater-than-recognised/

The EU, as it exists today, is in large part a direct result of UK influence!

Edited by Magilla

12 hours ago, Baron99 said:

Dont most countries/people want the same thing?

So our cities and cities around the world suffer polution which is bad for people health, the UK and the EU have clean air standards.

But only a massive block like the EU can set cleaner standards for vehicle engines, which will continue after leaving the EU.

The UK can ask car manufactuers to have different standards for the UK only, but they may tell us where to go.

Seems sensible to me to convert to metric, we can choose metric or imperial, we need to convert properly.

Countries borders have been growing larger for 2,000 years

11 hours ago, Magilla said:

In reality, it'd be easier and far shorter to list areas where the UK hasn't had significant influence.

https://blogs.lse.ac.uk/brexit/2018/07/09/british-influence-in-brussels-had-been-far-greater-than-recognised/

The EU, as it exists today, is in large part a direct result of UK influence!

Did they thank us for our influence? horse to water comes to mind.