Consequences Of Brexit [Part 9] Read First Post Before Posting

30 minutes ago, Magilla said:

Moody’s pass judgement on Johnson’s trade deal: “skewed in the EU’s favour”

https://www.thelondoneconomic.com/business-economics/moodys-pass-judgement-on-johnsons-trade-deal-skewed-in-the-eus-favour/26/01/

Although let's not forget that Moody's were rating a load of junk credit as AAA just before the 2008 crash. I'm not sure I would put any store in what they say, and the credit rating agencies have too much power, but that's a different issue.

7 minutes ago, Delbow said:

Although let's not forget that Moody's were rating a load of junk credit as AAA just before the 2008 crash. I'm not sure I would put any store in what they say, and the credit rating agencies have too much power, but that's a different issue.

Image may contain: text that says "We have been increasing the amount of Quantitative Easing Bank of England purchases of bonds in £ billion £900 bn £800 bn £700 bn £600 bn £500 bn €400 bn £300 bn €895 bn €200 bn H45bn €645 ba €445 bn 675bn £100 bn f200 bn £O £0bn November 2009 July 2012 August 2016 March 2020 June June2020 2020 November 2020"

12 minutes ago, Delbow said:

Agreed, but their rating is still used to determine the creditworthiness of borrowers...

N.I eels can't be sold in Britain:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-55818519

"It means finding new buyers for 50 tonnes of eels, worth £500,000, just months before the start of this year's season.

The fish would traditionally have gone to Billingsgate Market in London and been sold as jellied eels.

But the complexities of Brexit mean that trade is no longer possible."

1 hour ago, Delbow said:

I'm not sure Moody's are quite as comprehensively discredited as all that. The AAA-rating of junk credit up to 2008 was not exclusive to them -by far- and  they continue to be paid handsomely for their credit assessments, with considerable weight still attached to them by economists and central banks.

In any event, what Moody's are saying here is not new, or contrary to the general view. The decision of the UK government not to seek any accommodation on trade in services was widely commented on at the time, and since: if anyone thinks Moody's (and almost everyone else) is wrong in their assessment, then their reasons for thinking this would be welcome, which should be a bit more convincing than "Moody's did a bad thing 12 years ago".

The current Brexit story about the UK government paying EU immigrants £2k to go back is interesting. The shade of brown on those spots of the leopards eating faces party is getting nastier by the week. To not great surprise, either.

Edited by L00b

On a personal level, goods are taking longer to import from the EU. Just had an email from UPS saying an Item I had ordered coming from the Netherlands would be arriving a day later due to issues around Brexit. On the news a week or so ago it was announced that meat being exported to the EU was down to 25% because of delays, the 75% would not have been fresh enough for EU consumers to buy so it gets trashed. An inverse CAP Mountain!

58 minutes ago, swarfendor437 said:

On a personal level, goods are taking longer to import from the EU. Just had an email from UPS saying an Item I had ordered coming from the Netherlands would be arriving a day later due to issues around Brexit. On the news a week or so ago it was announced that meat being exported to the EU was down to 25% because of delays, the 75% would not have been fresh enough for EU consumers to buy so it gets trashed. An inverse CAP Mountain!

When UPS deliver they'll want VAT/admin/etc charges paying on your doorstep (presuming you haven't already paid them).

Good job we have left the EU, they were a bit slow at signing deals with pharmaceutical companies for Covid vaccines, then they have been a bit hesitant rolling it out for what ever reason, unlike the UK who signed up for theses vaccines as soon as they could and that is credit to Government. 

I’m wondering if the UK was still a member of the EU, and thank heavens we are not, would we have vaccinated so many people?  Germany is way behind us.  It’s been reported in a German newspapers that the EU is to bureaucratic and it’s because the UK is now independent is the reason why they have been able to vaccinate over 7 million people so far.  

We already new the EU was to bureaucratic,  didn’t they realise that’s why the UK voted for Brexit.

UK membership was still in force last year (as extended under the WA) and yet did not prevent the UK from approving the Pfizer vaccine early nor doing independent deals, and healthcare policy was never a competency passed to the EU by member states, until Covid-fighting measures were mutualised last year.

So I'm afraid that this link with Brexit exists only in your head.

But whatever helps you get over your win :thumbsup:

1 hour ago, hauxwell said:

Good job we have left the EU, they were a bit slow at signing deals with pharmaceutical companies for Covid vaccines, then they have been a bit hesitant rolling it out for what ever reason, unlike the UK who signed up for theses vaccines as soon as they could and that is credit to Government. 

I’m wondering if the UK was still a member of the EU, and thank heavens we are not, would we have vaccinated so many people?  Germany is way behind us.  It’s been reported in a German newspapers that the EU is to bureaucratic and it’s because the UK is now independent is the reason why they have been able to vaccinate over 7 million people so far.  

We already new the EU was to bureaucratic,  didn’t they realise that’s why the UK voted for Brexit.

Thats not quite true I think. Germany was going to do what the UK did, so you can do it in the EU (and indeed we did whilst still in the EU!). The EU persuaded them to not do that and instead go the for collaborative EU wide distribution and purchase of vaccines.

2 hours ago, hauxwell said:

You're not vaccinated until you've had the second jab.

No reason to think we couldn't have gone our own way if we were in the EU, we have on many issues. It would have depended on who is in charge at number 10!

This has been on the news another reason the UK has moved more swiftly with vaccination than the EU is we opted out of the EU procurement programme when we left, which has allowed us to move more quickly,  if not we would be floundering like the rest of the EU.

I’ve never hear of the Procurement Programme until now.  

Edited by hauxwell