Consequences Of Brexit [Part 9] Read First Post Before Posting

9 hours ago, Baron99 said:

Of which we run a deficit.  So who needs who the greater & in the long run, on which side of The Channel will have the most suffering business when UK customers start to go, "You know what, I used to buy that product cheap from a European stockist because it was actually cheaper than buying British but since all the additional costs, it now works out cheaper to buy British / it now works out cheaper to get it imported from the Far East."

What we've done in the past 40 odd years, is no indication of what we'll start to do in the next decade plus.  Actually, come back to me in 47 years & we'll re-evaluate. 

And reciprocally EU27 customers, with British stockists.

However for these EU27 customers, still without any extra paperwork (nor corresponding overheads) relative to the withdrawal period.

12 hours ago, tinfoilhat said:

And very often greater delivery times, greater delivery costs than trading with your near neighbours. Smaller businesses selling smaller items, it just doesn't work 90% of the time. As far as importing goes, I had minimum order requirements from India and China, and I expect them from my eu suppliers now - I hope not.

Maybe I should try and make the most of that Papua new guinea trade deal liz truss made/rolled over! 

I think those small businesses will be ok, at least the ones not so small - 30 or so employees. As outlined in the guardian today many are planning redundancies in the UK and will advertise jobs at new european locations. Then they just ship or build their product in bulk there once a week, rather than deal with paperwork on every single order from the UK.

Of course not so good for the British people, but they did demand this vociferously. So can't complain.

Edited by nightrider

12 hours ago, Baron99 said:

And given that there appears to be a number of issues raised by customers & a small number of companies, here in the UK & Europe, (anyone care to offer a figure as to how many companies are continuing to trade between the UK & continental Europe without raising any issues?  I'm guessing that wouldn't make headline news would it?) regards import / exports & newly imposed tax revenues, if this persists for customers both here & in Europe, the simple matter is that it can be resolved by the UK Govt & the EU Commission & or European Govts sorting it out. 

At the end of the day, if European customers are also having problems, then it show the current arrangements aren't benefitting anyone.  The various electorates hold the power to put pressure on their various Govts or does the European Commission, as many suspect rule the roost over European countries? 

Indebted to a mate of mine who put me right the other day.  Here's me thinking, probably like most on here that, I've been led to believe that if you drive East or South far enough or, you drop off the end of the World somewhere past Athens or Palermo as there's only another 27 countries in the World? 

Well guess what, there's another 168 countries out there!  Yes I know?  Hard to believe it isn't it? And guess what?  We trade with most of them?  And guess what? For the most part, this has been going on for centuries?  And guess what?  It involves paperwork to import / export. 

I know. It was news to me as well. 

I can't see any gain here by Brexiting, only that for some businesses, thing are more complicated and costly, whereas for others, just different.

Yes, there is similar paperwork to export to non-EU countries, but so what? Why does that mean that it's no problem to do the same for EU countries? It costs money and time, the two most valuable commodities in a business.

There must be a balancing gain, otherwise, what was the point.

Like the whole Nissan thing, we have managed to maintain the status quo. No great leap forward.

Edited by Bargepole23

Mastercard to push up fees for UK purchases from EU:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-55796426

"Mastercard is to raise the fees it charges merchants when UK cardholders buy goods and services from the EU by fivefold.

Mastercard attributed the move to the UK's decision to leave the EU.

The EU introduced a cap on such fees in 2015 after concerns they pushed prices up for consumers and unfairly burdened companies.

Mastercard said that since the end of the Brexit transition period, the cap no longer applied to many payments"

Another slow clap...

9 minutes ago, Magilla said:

"Mastercard is to raise the fees it charges merchants when UK cardholders buy goods and services from the EU by fivefold.

The EU introduced a cap on such fees in 2015 after concerns they pushed prices up for consumers and unfairly burdened companies.

Mastercard said that since the end of the Brexit transition period, the cap no longer applied to many payments"

Another slow clap...

Damn those unelected EU beauracrats for making us pay less mastercard fees, we'll show them, were taking back control

1 hour ago, Magilla said:

Another slow clap...

Is that the same MasterCard who are potentially facing a £14 billion class action lawsuit for overcharging consumers?

Quite a bold move.   

21 hours ago, tinfoilhat said:

So why leave then and suffer short term pain?

The reason for the UK leaving was never about being better off nor about immigration.

24 minutes ago, Jeffrey Shaw said:

The reason for the UK leaving was never about being better off nor about immigration.

That will be why neither of the leave campaigns mentioned being better off or immigration at all rather than devoting so much of their campaigning on those topics.

38 minutes ago, Jeffrey Shaw said:

Well thank you for making me worse off

46 minutes ago, ECCOnoob said:

Is that the same MasterCard who are potentially facing a £14 billion class action lawsuit for overcharging consumers?

Quite a bold move.   

maybe they are raising fees so they can pay for the damages which arise from this suit. 

49 minutes ago, Jeffrey Shaw said:

Yeah right. Odd how many friends elderly parents voted leave so they could "send back the immigrants" then isn't it?

1 hour ago, Jeffrey Shaw said:

Yeah, sure Jeff!