Consequences Of Brexit [Part 9] Read First Post Before Posting

7 hours ago, Baron99 said:

It must be some kind of record?   We've gone a whole 24 hours plus on this thread without anyone posting (moaning).  Well I'll start you all off for the day. 

Some of you aren't going to like the fact that Nissan are happy with the UK's Brexit deal with the EU & that they're here for the long term, with thousands of jobs, both at the Sunderland plant & ancillary industries secured.  

"Japanese car maker Nissan has told the BBC its Sunderland plant is secure for the long term as a result of the trade deal reached between the UK and the EU.

It said it will move additional battery production close to the plant where it has 6,000 direct employees and supports nearly 70,000 jobs in the supply chain."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/amp/business-55757930

Despite Project Fear postings, hundreds of pages back & months ago the when some here predicted that Sunderland would be an example of a post Brexit, unemployment abyss. 

No doubt we'll be treated on here to baseless conspiracy theories for  Nissan carrying on trading?  I'm looking forward to "Well they've been promised millions of secret Govt money just to stay" or "Well the Govt are going to scrap all the labour laws, so even if someone loose an arm on the production line, they'll be given a sticking plaster & told to get back to work." 

There you go, I've started you off.  I'm sure many will come up with more imaginative reasons why Nissan are happy to keep manufacturing in Sunderland? 

Off you go, have a nice day.  Looks the workers of Sunderland will be having a rosy post Brexit future, much to the disappointment to many on here?

Thrilled they aren't going to close. Sunderland would have drifted into the dark ages, and it hinged on the  tariff free deal Boris got.

Just think, some people didn't want a deal!

9 hours ago, Baron99 said:

<...>

Despite Project Fear postings, hundreds of pages back & months ago the when some here predicted that Sunderland would be an example of a post Brexit, unemployment abyss. 

No doubt we'll be treated on here to baseless conspiracy theories for  Nissan carrying on trading?  I'm looking forward to "Well they've been promised millions of secret Govt money just to stay" or "Well the Govt are going to scrap all the labour laws, so even if someone loose an arm on the production line, they'll be given a sticking plaster & told to get back to work." 

<...>

Baseless theories, eh? Happy to oblige.

9 hours ago, Baron99 said:

<...>

Off you go, have a nice day.  Looks the workers of Sunderland will be having a rosy post Brexit future, much to the disappointment to many on here?

I very much doubt that anyone who's spent years warning about the consequences of Brexit, here and elsewhere, wanted  to see them come about. The whole point of warning against them -and of voting Remain for those who could- was precisely to avoid the ongoing bin fire, that is only just getting started now.

To think how many on here wanted no deal or WTO 🙄

Johnson pushed for Canada instead. So Canada is what you have, and the new standard for freight customs clearance. 

Carry on winning 👍

Edited by L00b

I see crisps are now being held up crossing to NI.

This'll be one of the benefits of brexit - reducing obesity due to lack of supplies.

36 minutes ago, Litotes said:

I see crisps are now being held up crossing to NI.

This'll be one of the benefits of brexit - reducing obesity due to lack of supplies.

They should just nip over the border and get some Tayto ones.  They are generally better than most of the Walkers brands anyway.

49 minutes ago, West 77 said:

Brexit is a long term project and a once in one hundred year pandemic isn't got to help to bring the benefits sooner. However,  if the UK hadn't decided to leave the EU then the likelihood is the British covid vaccine program wouldn't have delivered anywhere near as many vaccines to individuals as it has today.  The fact the British covid vaccine delivery program  is well ahead of the EU27 vaccine program is evidence that we can deliver things better outside the EU.

An opportunity for a crisp factory to be built in NI.

Britain was free to pursue its own vaccine approval and policy within the EU.

I know Hancock tried a similar allusion,but it is a falsehood not a likelihood.

Not sure how British produced potato crisp export  problems have an effect on our obesity issues either.

10 minutes ago, West 77 said:

And so were the EU27 bloc  who all decided not to pursue their own individual policy. The only exception seems to be Hungary who have just given approval to rollout the Russian vaccine.  Do you seriously believe Britain would have gone it alone with a vaccine program if we had voted to remain in the EU?

Can’t see why not 

13 minutes ago, West 77 said:

And so were the EU27 bloc  who all decided not to pursue their own individual policy. The only exception seems to be Hungary who have just given approval to rollout the Russian vaccine.  Do you seriously believe Britain would have gone it alone with a vaccine program if we had voted to remain in the EU?

We didn't do schengen, the euro, load of other opt outs. Don't honestly know what the current lot would have done. 

4 minutes ago, tinfoilhat said:

We didn't do schengen, the euro, load of other opt outs. Don't honestly know what the current lot would have done. 

But it’s about the only time when they have been ahead of the game,so I will let them have some credit.

4 hours ago, RJRB said:

But it’s about the only time when they have been ahead of the game,so I will let them have some credit.

Indeed - I'm not a big fan of this Government or indeed Brexit but credit for the vaccine where credit is due so fair play to Boris. (Caveat - assuming extending the delay before the second dose doesn't bite us in the ass)

However, to suggest this is because of Brexit is disingenuous as we were still under EU rules when we started.

As Tinfoilhat pointed out, we've done many things outside of EU interference despite us, apparently, not having sovereignty.

Edited by whiteowl

21 hours ago, Litotes said:

Pity they have recently sold of the Leaf battery plant to the Chinese who have not got the same commitment.

https://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/news/north-east-news/sunderland-battery-plant-envision-nissan-18367089

The EU is bringing forward plans to ensure that the batteries themselves are made from components and materials sourced locally too, most of which can't be found in the UK :?

UK SME's can't afford to process returns:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-55757931

More investment leaving the UK:

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2021/jan/23/cheshire-cheesemaker-says-business-left-with-250000-brexit-hole

Another one for the total lack of surprise category:-

Exporters advised by Department for International Trade officials to form EU-based companies to circumvent border issues

British businesses that export to the continent are being encouraged by government trade advisers to set up separate companies inside the EU in order to get around extra charges, paperwork and taxes resulting from Brexit, the Observer can reveal.

In an extraordinary twist to the Brexit saga, UK small businesses are being told by advisers working for the Department for International Trade (DIT) that the best way to circumvent border issues and VAT problems that have been piling up since 1 January is to register new firms within the EU single market, from where they can distribute their goods far more freely.