Consequences Of Brexit [Part 9] Read First Post Before Posting

9 minutes ago, L00b said:

Interested people might wish to go back a bit earlier than Johnson's 2019 campaigning. Just a friendly suggestion, of course.

And that only goes back to 2016,but it does provide a useful check list.

I will shout Bingo when all the promises and aims have been fulfilled.

47 minutes ago, tinfoilhat said:

Unsurprisingly, and load of lies comes out of number 10. If they have any kind of moral compass it must get wearing surely?

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/uk-visa-free-work-musicians-eu-brexit-b1784600.html

Shocking, but unsurprising.

On the link above, I see there's another link to a story in which leading Tory Brexiteer Daniel Hannan is calling for the scrapping of some employee and consumer protections.

Hope the recently ennobled Lord Hannan doesn't get food poisoning,  because the Government took his advice & decided to lower labour and consumer rights.

Edited by Mister M

8 minutes ago, Mister M said:

Shocking, but unsurprising.

On the link above, I see there's another link to a story in which leading Tory Brexiteer Daniel Hannan is calling for the scrapping of some employee and consumer protections.

Hope the recently ennobled Lord Hannan doesn't get food poisoning,  because the Government took his advice & decided to lower labour and consumer rights.

But why lie though? Say you've pushed the fishing industry at the expense of the arts - it very probably won't lose many votes, it might gain a few, "owning the libs" . Just stop lying I'm sick of it. If it's that good you shouldn't need to lie.

1 hour ago, tinfoilhat said:

Unsurprisingly, and load of lies comes out of number 10. If they have any kind of moral compass it must get wearing surely?

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/uk-visa-free-work-musicians-eu-brexit-b1784600.html

Johnson has built his career on telling lies about the EU.

31 minutes ago, tinfoilhat said:

But why lie though? Say you've pushed the fishing industry at the expense of the arts - it very probably won't lose many votes, it might gain a few, "owning the libs" . Just stop lying I'm sick of it. If it's that good you shouldn't need to lie.

That Johnson has been caught out on so many occasions, and faced no consequences, means that they can lie with impunity. 

Sometimes it's easier to tell the truth than to lie. Sadly, it's down to how the minister or Prime Minister feels at the time.

Hopefully this 'post truth era' is coming to an end with the exit from the White house by Trump.

Edited by Mister M

10 hours ago, tinfoilhat said:

I think there will be a lot of stupid decisions like this that will come to light. There’s no logical reason for it and is similar to when Theresa May included foreign students here on a temporary basis in the net migration figures.

Cutting your nose off to spite your face comes to mind.

Hopefully if it was offered in the negotiations it can be re-visited as there is no reason to make people’s life’s more difficult than they need to be, 

12 hours ago, Longcol said:

Johnson has built his career on telling lies about the EU.

Johnson has built his career on telling lies... and being racist, and sexist, and a cheat (all of which have been proven and are in the public domain).

And yet people voted for him and what he stands for - the UK's very own Trump.

How long before he rallies his supporters to deny democracy for those who aren't taken in by his lies?

Oh, I forgot, he's already done it - for once he was leading in his thinking, not following like the lemming he is.

The sooner we can get back into the EU the better, I just hope we haven't destroyed too many livelihoods before we do.

1 hour ago, Litotes said:

Johnson has built his career on telling lies... and being racist, and sexist, and a cheat (all of which have been proven and are in the public domain).

And yet people voted for him and what he stands for - the UK's very own Trump.

How long before he rallies his supporters to deny democracy for those who aren't taken in by his lies?

Oh, I forgot, he's already done it - for once he was leading in his thinking, not following like the lemming he is.

The sooner we can get back into the EU the better, I just hope we haven't destroyed too many livelihoods before we do.

Personally I don’t think that we will ever rejoin the EU.

Edited by hobinfoot

1 hour ago, Litotes said:

What makes you think there is going to be an EU left to get back into.  That is certainly no guarantee.

Germany particuarly was absolutely desperate for us not to leave and the EU knew the potential hole we make as shown with their increasingly desperate and bullying tactics in the final stages of the negotiations. They knew full well that the UK was one of the top contributors other than Germany itself into the pot. Our leaving has left one hell of a shortfall which is unlikely to be made up to the same level by the remaining countries.

Look around some of the other members. Spain is absolutely broke and has impacted more damage since Covid because one of their prime incomes was tourism. Italy completely broke with a shambolic corrupt politics system worse on our own. Greece very well documented as to their troubles and completely broke.  France has quite a lot of political turmoil and a leader who is himself is now debating about the leaving the EU....

Add on the the several Eastern European  members whose GDP contribution is significantly less generally and it doesn't appear beyond the realms of possibility that the UK is just one of many bottles about to fall off the EU wall.

I suggest people start watching and observing carefully before they desperately want to leap back in.   Yes I am talking to you Sturgeon.

Don't get me wrong, I was a remainer I wasn't exactly thrilled we have left.  However I am well aware that we have started something. All those member states are  watching us very carefully.  Despite the obvious and inevitable rocky teething period which is going to come over the  years, if we don't have any major catastrophes others will certainly start to think about their own position in the EU.

Ultimately, this will change things dramatically and it may not end up looking like something people want to be part of for much longer.

Edited by ECCOnoob