Consequences Of Brexit [Part 9] Read First Post Before Posting

1 hour ago, Westie1889 said:

I would say they are not struggling but complaining, and tbf that is their right to a degree as it will increase costs a bit for them.

What I would say is that if M&S say this has come as a surprise then they are being disingenuous.

For food retailers the costs are less of an issue than non-food businesses like my employer due to most EU imports being EU produced thus avoiding excessive duty costs.
M&S should (and will) have planned for this a long time ago, their buyers will know what they have to do to mitigate the additional costs and should have been working to do that for a while.

It seems more of a PR statement to me, maybe their results are going to be below expectations and they are getting their excuses ready.

For  very small businesses I have sympathy as it’s an administrative minefield they may be ill-prepared for, for large businesses it’s not a big issue, any issues are more due to a lack of preparation or bad management i’m afraid.

As an additional point M&S have international  stores outside the EU, these stores need the same treatment as UK-EU trade does now less duty rates so they know what’s involved. Let’s see how their results are, I’m guessing the more I read that they will be below their competitors and this is a bit of a smokescreen.

The fun thing I read was the Percy pig conundrum. Made in Germany, imported to the UK the exported back out to Ireland and beyond. It's made trade more difficult. 

But, it's what they voted for.

8 minutes ago, tinfoilhat said:

The fun thing I read was the Percy pig conundrum. Made in Germany, imported to the UK the exported back out to Ireland and beyond. It's made trade more difficult. 

Project Reality.

Edited by Mister Gee

59 minutes ago, tinfoilhat said:

Not wishing to be pedantic but it’s not a difficult thing to sort, ship directly from Germany to Ireland. I’m not saying there are not difficulties but for a company the size of M&S to use percy pigs as an issue is a bit pathetic. Like I said, look out for their results and I’m guessing they are lagging behind their grocery competitors.

Their food business is worth £6bn, our business is £4bn and the total cost of the new regulations for us is £30m, sound a lot but in the scheme of things it’s not really. They are making a mountain out of a molehill.

2 hours ago, Westie1889 said:

Not wishing to be pedantic but it’s not a difficult thing to sort, ship directly from Germany to Ireland. I’m not saying there are not difficulties but for a company the size of M&S to use percy pigs as an issue is a bit pathetic. Like I said, look out for their results and I’m guessing they are lagging behind their grocery competitors.

Their food business is worth £6bn, our business is £4bn and the total cost of the new regulations for us is £30m, sound a lot but in the scheme of things it’s not really. They are making a mountain out of a molehill.

Probably a damn sight more expensive in terms of transport costs than using the "landbridge" via England though, as well as taking longer. AFAIK only ro-ro is Cherbourg - one helluva drive compared to Rotterdam / Zeebrugge / Calais and then 18 hours sailing.

Yes you are correct that it will cost more but again they should have prepared for that scenario.

Knowing the work that’s gone on across the industry over the past 2 years I just don’t buy that they are now raising this in such a way.

Either their suppliers have not done what M&S have asked them to, or M&S have not prepared their suppliers properly and just left them to it - either scenario reflects poorly on them.

We have stores in Northern Ireland and the Republic and also several other EU countries and distribute a much wider variety of goods than M&S without any major issues. We also ship goods from the EU into the UK & Ireland. Also our ranges are no where near as static as M&S’ so they could and should have sorted this.

They should have prepared their suppliers and start asking for the paperwork early to check everyone was ready, this would have ironed-out any issues pre-January 1st.

With us suppliers have to upload the correct paperwork as part of the process to book a delivery slot, any errors and no booking is given until it’s corrected.

Like I said in a previous post I can understand smaller businesses taking time to understand what’s needed, and some will decide it’s not worth the hassle. But, for M&S to say it’s affecting hundreds of products at this late stage says to me they’ve messed up and are getting their excuses ready.

consequence of leaving The EU :

The UK government will allow the use of (a) neonicotinoid pesticide - which is banned in the EU.

in short, this is terrible news.

2 hours ago, ads36 said:

consequence of leaving The EU :

The UK government will allow the use of (a) neonicotinoid pesticide - which is banned in the EU.

in short, this is terrible news.

Do you have a link confirming this as fact ?

To my knowledge there is still a public consultation ongoing regarding the use of these chemicals in the UK :

PAN-UK news link

Something else different in the UK after "Brexit"

EU's Vaccination Progress

16 minutes ago, BadgerBodge said:

Do you have a link confirming this as fact ?

To my knowledge there is still a public consultation ongoing regarding the use of these chemicals in the UK :

PAN-UK news link

Something else different in the UK after "Brexit"

EU's Vaccination Progress

Looks like it is the thin end of the wedge...

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/bees-kill-pesticide-insect-sugar-neonic-b1784693.html

"Environment secretary George Eustice has agreed to let a product containing the neonicotinoid thiamethoxam to treat sugar beet seed this year in an effort to protect the crop from a virus. "

Strange they are being proactive about a virus rather than hoping for herd immunity...

40 minutes ago, Litotes said:

Looks like it is the thin end of the wedge...

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/bees-kill-pesticide-insect-sugar-neonic-b1784693.html

"Environment secretary George Eustice has agreed to let a product containing the neonicotinoid thiamethoxam to treat sugar beet seed this year in an effort to protect the crop from a virus. "

Strange they are being proactive about a virus rather than hoping for herd immunity...

Perhaps "they" are just following the example of our French cousins in the EU ?

vive la différence

13 hours ago, Longcol said:

Probably a damn sight more expensive in terms of transport costs than using the "landbridge" via England though, as well as taking longer. AFAIK only ro-ro is Cherbourg - one helluva drive compared to Rotterdam / Zeebrugge / Calais and then 18 hours sailing.

You need to update yourself about Ireland-EU27 RoRo options.

Ireland has been engaged in setting up alternatives to the landbridge for a while.

Dublin-Holyhead RoRo is virtually dead, Stena started suspending crossings yesterday IIRC. Zeebrugge-Ireland RoRo crossings are pretty busy however.

Edited by L00b

Gove now saying that he expects further delays to shipments in the future due to red tape,bureaucracy,paperwork.

So he can now turn round and say that it was to be expected when there are the inevitable ongoing issues.

However this is not the message that was being presented by Johnson and co in the negotiations,nor were adequate preparations made in the run up to the eleventh hour agreement.

38 minutes ago, RJRB said:

Gove now saying that he expects further delays to shipments in the future due to red tape,bureaucracy,paperwork.

So he can now turn round and say that it was to be expected when there are the inevitable ongoing issues.

However this is not the message that was being presented by Johnson and co in the negotiations,nor were adequate preparations made in the run up to the eleventh hour agreement.

Interested people might wish to go back a bit earlier than Johnson's 2019 campaigning. Just a friendly suggestion, of course.