Consequences Of Brexit [Part 9] Read First Post Before Posting

On 04/01/2021 at 09:51, West 77 said:

Struggling to understand your point because Arlene Foster didn't tell Andrew Marr she thinks there will be a border poll anytime some. Arlene Foster is correct Brexit brings opportunities.   In four years time Northern Ireland can decide if it wants to change the protocol with the EU.

I stand corrected.

Those opportunities that Ol' Arlene promised are already bearing fruit.

If any Brexit-supporting sectarian-bigots of the DUP fancy losing a little of that post-Covid weight gain, they can look forward to food shortages.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2021/jan/06/northern-ireland-facing-food-supply-disruption-over-brexit-mps-told

Northern Ireland facing food supply disruption over Brexit, MPs told

Trucks arriving at GB ports lack paperwork needed to enter region, business leaders say

Northern Ireland is facing disruptions to its food supply because suppliers in Great Britain are unaware of the Brexit-related paperwork needed to send goods to the region, business leaders have said.

Trucks are arriving at GB ports with incorrect or absent documentation that delays their passage across the Irish Sea, they told MPs on Wednesday.

One large manufacturer had 15 lorries of food bound for Northern Ireland stuck because they lacked customs declarations, said Leheny. He cited another company that sent 285 lorries to Great Britain but only 100 returned, leading to knock-on disruption of supply chains. Another company resolved documentation problems after studying a YouTube tutorial.

Sainsbury’s has been forced to fill some of its Northern Ireland supermarket shelves with Spar-branded products. Shoppers at Tesco and other chains have reported bare shelves in some sections, especially chilled food.

England, Scotland and Wales left the European Union’s single market for goods on 31 December but Northern Ireland did not. Products containing animal parts require export health certificates in accordance with EU regulations.

Ian Paisley, an MP with the Democratic Unionist party, said the special arrangements for the region had been a “disaster” and justified ditching the Northern Ireland protocol, which had cleared the way for the final Brexit deal between London and Brussels.

I don't know why Ian Paisley is angry.  He's getting what he voted for.  There's just no pleasing some people, is there 🙄

Working in the retail industry if suppliers to the big supermarkets don’t have the relevant paperwork then there’s really no excuse.

The big retailers have hand-held their suppliers through this process, told them what they need to provide and also given helplines in case of queries.

We started speaking to our supply base 8 months ago about this, and began asking for the new paperwork from October so everyone was ready come the first January.

Some really small suppliers ignored it but as soon as a delivery was refused they were set-up and ready with 2-3 days for the new system.

It will iron itself out pretty quickly once they realise they  cannot deliver and won’t get paid.

3 hours ago, Westie1889 said:

Working in the retail industry if suppliers to the big supermarkets don’t have the relevant paperwork then there’s really no excuse.

The big retailers have hand-held their suppliers through this process, told them what they need to provide and also given helplines in case of queries.

We started speaking to our supply base 8 months ago about this, and began asking for the new paperwork from October so everyone was ready come the first January.

Some really small suppliers ignored it but as soon as a delivery was refused they were set-up and ready with 2-3 days for the new system.

It will iron itself out pretty quickly once they realise they  cannot deliver and won’t get paid.

Seems to be bigger firms are struggling.

BBC News - Brexit: Firms warn of problems as new EU trade rules kick in
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-55583244

35 minutes ago, tinfoilhat said:

Well as Gove and Johnson said there were always going to be bumps in the road (to nowhere).

Just a consequence of the only negotiations in history designed to make trade more difficult.

1 hour ago, tinfoilhat said:

@vivamjm is one of the best Twitter accounts to (continue to-) follow, on the topic of cross-border freight and customs in the post-Withdrawal Agreement age. Vastly more informative than the BBC and other MSM, besides being extremely well-connected with people at that particular coal face far and wide, and with -seemingly, but perhaps unsurprisingly for an expert- a fully-working crystal ball.

And the watch word is, you ain't seen nothing yet.

And here's more with added fish.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-9125485/Fishermen-blast-post-Brexit-brick-wall-bureaucracy-seeing-British-fish-left-rot.html

There was a guy who made a bit of noise for UKIP in 2016 who said that fish wouldn't rot at the markets but he was banging on how fish was rotting at the market on Monday. I can't find the link now. 

He'll be back I'm sure.

Now might be an opportune time to remind readers, that the EU27 and the UK had agreed that customs checks and procedures would be light touch/relaxed as a 'phase in' transition until this week...with the real-deal checks starting Monday.

I don't think many of those fishermen, hauliers and assorted other UK businesses large and small, writing to their MPs for this "Brexit red tape" to get "sorted out", have copped on that this  is the actual 'new normal'.

Edited by L00b

2 hours ago, tinfoilhat said:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-9125485/Fishermen-blast-post-Brexit-brick-wall-bureaucracy-seeing-British-fish-left-rot.html

There was a guy who made a bit of noise for UKIP in 2016 who said that fish wouldn't rot at the markets but he was banging on how fish was rotting at the market on Monday. I can't find the link now. 

He'll be back I'm sure.

The childish level of debate on the DM website makes SF seem almost mature!

This one's a cracker:

Top Brexit supporter Jim Ratcliffe's version of the Landrover Defender was going to be made in Wales and called the Grenadier; since he has decided to build them in France it will be called the Deserter.

2 hours ago, tinfoilhat said:

He'll be back I'm sure.

A case of "you won, get over it"

7 hours ago, tinfoilhat said:

I would say they are not struggling but complaining, and tbf that is their right to a degree as it will increase costs a bit for them.

What I would say is that if M&S say this has come as a surprise then they are being disingenuous.

For food retailers the costs are less of an issue than non-food businesses like my employer due to most EU imports being EU produced thus avoiding excessive duty costs.
M&S should (and will) have planned for this a long time ago, their buyers will know what they have to do to mitigate the additional costs and should have been working to do that for a while.

It seems more of a PR statement to me, maybe their results are going to be below expectations and they are getting their excuses ready.

For  very small businesses I have sympathy as it’s an administrative minefield they may be ill-prepared for, for large businesses it’s not a big issue, any issues are more due to a lack of preparation or bad management i’m afraid.

As an additional point M&S have international  stores outside the EU, these stores need the same treatment as UK-EU trade does now less duty rates so they know what’s involved. Let’s see how their results are, I’m guessing the more I read that they will be below their competitors and this is a bit of a smokescreen.

4 hours ago, tinfoilhat said:

He'll be back I'm sure.

More fish related "project fear" here

https://www.reuters.com/article/uk-britain-eu-scotland-fishing-exclusive/exclusive-its-a-catastrophe-scottish-fishermen-halt-exports-due-to-brexit-red-tape-idUSKBN29D0U0