Consequences Of Brexit [Part 9] Read First Post Before Posting

9 minutes ago, KinderKid said:

Absolutely the former. Had it been a one vote majority in favour of Remain we should have remained, unquestionably. 

So you believe in the dictatorship of the majority - however small.

I wouldn't have interpreted a one vote majority to remain as a mandate for the euro or Schengen.

You appear to interpret a one vote majority to leave as a no deal.

Edited by Longcol

Form today Government has abolished VAT tax on women’s sanitary products.  How trivial that the UK was unable to remove all tax on these products because the EU wouldn’t allow it.  EU law says these products are non essential.  What a joke.

I thought this tax had already been abolished after taking on the EU, but obviously I was wrong we still had to abide by EU rules, but not any longer.  Along with free movement this was another reason why I voted to leave the EU. 

18 minutes ago, hauxwell said:

Form today Government has abolished VAT tax on women’s sanitary products.  How trivial that the UK was unable to remove all tax on these products because the EU wouldn’t allow it.  EU law says these products are non essential.  What a joke.

I thought this tax had already been abolished after taking on the EU, but obviously I was wrong we still had to abide by EU rules, but not any longer.  Along with free movement this was another reason why I voted to leave the EU. 

But if we hadn’t voted leave it would have been abolished a lot sooner.

The EU agreed to us scrapping it years ago...

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/politics/2020/dec/31/tampon-tax-government-axes-vat-on-sanitary-products

7 hours ago, KinderKid said:

Absolutely the former. Had it been a one vote majority in favour of Remain we should have remained, unquestionably. 

Nigel Farage disagreed with you:

Nigel Farage: Narrow Remain win may lead to second referendum - BBC News

Farage told the Mirror: “In a 52-48 referendum this would be unfinished business by a long way. If the remain campaign win two-thirds to one-third that ends it.” Nigel Farage wants second referendum if Remain campaign scrapes narrow win - Mirror Online

Had there been a win for Remain on a 52 - 48 basis, then a 'hard remain' would have been agitated against. An end to Freedom of Movement would've been the first demand of the Brexit campaign. And in a way that would've been a fair concession given the narrowness of the vote. 

However, we've got a hard Brexit with on a 52 - 48 vote. Johnson will have to take responsibility for whatever consequences that entails. That means behaving in a manner that befits the supposed core belief of the Conservative Party, that is taking personal responsibility 

No scapegoating, no back pedaling, no mealy mouthed excuses.

21 minutes ago, Mister M said:

Nigel Farage disagreed with you:

Nigel Farage: Narrow Remain win may lead to second referendum - BBC News

Farage told the Mirror: “In a 52-48 referendum this would be unfinished business by a long way. If the remain campaign win two-thirds to one-third that ends it.” Nigel Farage wants second referendum if Remain campaign scrapes narrow win - Mirror Online

Had there been a win for Remain on a 52 - 48 basis, then a 'hard remain' would have been agitated against. An end to Freedom of Movement would've been the first demand of the Brexit campaign. And in a way that would've been a fair concession given the narrowness of the vote. 

However, we've got a hard Brexit with on a 52 - 48 vote. Johnson will have to take responsibility for whatever consequences that entails. That means behaving in a manner that befits the supposed core belief of the Conservative Party, that is taking personal responsibility 

No scapegoating, no back pedaling, no mealy mouthed excuses.

It is laughable to assume that because Farage would have been a bad loser that I, or many others like me, would also be. 

Farage has been an effective politician in the cause of leaving - that doesn't mean that all those who vote in the same way as him are aligned to his every statement. It would be concerning to say the least to agree with every policy or statement of any politician or party. 

1 hour ago, hauxwell said:

Amazing that Eire have abolished it and they are still in the EU. Perhaps the Government didn't want to abolish it as they could use it as another of their anti-EU lies (like bendy bananas etc).

Oh well, roll on rejoining under Schengen rules - a bit like Gibraltar (hold on weren't they part of the UK?)

Boris' break up of the Union party has only just started.

5 minutes ago, Litotes said:

Amazing that Eire have abolished it and they are still in the EU. Perhaps the Government didn't want to abolish it as they could use it as another of their anti-EU lies (like bendy bananas etc).

Oh well, roll on rejoining under Schengen rules - a bit like Gibraltar (hold on weren't they part of the UK?)

Boris' break up of the Union party has only just started.

Ireland had a grandfather clause from prior to joining - it is fundamentally different. 

Gibraltar are an Overseas Territory, they are not part of the UK.

The leave voters go off holding the cup up high while those who voted remain, are left thinking if only we hadn't scored so many home goals.

1 hour ago, retep said:

The leave voters go off holding the cup up high while those who voted remain, are left thinking if only we hadn't scored so many home goals.

Well do something then.

Good to see free movement of goods to the Uk, from the EU.

Remainers need not worry, their supply of hard cheese and sour grapes is secure...

4 minutes ago, convert said:

Good to see free movement of goods to the Uk, from the EU.

Remainers need not worry, their supply of hard cheese and sour grapes is secure...

Erm, no there isn't. It's tariff free not free of customs checks or red tape. Depending on what you are sending, there's loads of it!

18 minutes ago, tinfoilhat said:

Well do something then.

I am I've got one hand on the cup, the other holding out a hankie for the losers.