Consequences Of Brexit [Part 9] Read First Post Before Posting

3 minutes ago, sadbrewer said:

Of course it is....it's not like the old Castle Market where stuff is bought and sold on the spot, it's bought by forward contract years in advance. 

I think you'll find French supermarkets operate on a different model to Teco's etc - they've much more ability to make spot purchases , purchase local produce etc.

5 minutes ago, sadbrewer said:

I doubt much is from Ireland, they only produce 19,000 tons a year for the whole of the world's market.

Most of the salmon and smoked salmon that I’ve ever bought in France is Norwegian.

They have Scottish Salmon but it is expensive and not any nicer.

There is only one loser in all of this. The little guy, as usual. 

*By little guy, I mean the U.K. 

Edited by Pettytom

1 minute ago, sadbrewer said:

I doubt much is from Ireland, they only produce 19,000 tons a year for the whole of the world's market.

19,000 tons is a lot of Salmon. France takes about a third of it.

10 minutes ago, Longcol said:

19,000 tons is a lot of Salmon. France takes about a third of it.

Not really a lot...Norway produces 1.2 million tonnes.

1 minute ago, sadbrewer said:

Not really a lot...Norway produces 1.2 million tonnes.

Which is why most salmon sold in France is from Norway.

26 minutes ago, Longcol said:

I think you'll find French supermarkets operate on a different model to Teco's etc - they've much more ability to make spot purchases , purchase local produce etc.

If they do it's good....but the fact remains that it's a mature market, if Carrefour buy them from another source the original suppliers produce goes unsold, where do they sell them?

12 minutes ago, Longcol said:

Which is why most salmon sold in France is from Norway.

Absolutement.

39 minutes ago, sadbrewer said:

If they do it's good....but the fact remains that it's a mature market, if Carrefour buy them from another source the original suppliers produce goes unsold, where do they sell them?

France is a different animal to England especially in terms of geography - 3 times the landmass for approx the same population. Farms tend to be much smaller.  Hence where I live most fresh meat is sourced  as locally as available.     Much more spot purchasing - it'll be in the shops one week and then it'll be gone. Butchers counters in supermarkets are often a franchise - I can buy things from my local mini Carrefour down the road that I can't get from the big Carrefour in town ten miles away. Many different outlets for producers in terms of local butchers, farm shops, markets

Edited by Longcol

11 hours ago, Delayed said:

Luckily for you, you are no longer interested, which is shown by your lack of posts on this thread...

Ah, so at least one poster noticed.

It’s difficult to decide which thread to post some comments on as it is not just Jupiter and Saturn that have become conjoined.

Brexit ,Covid and the Conservative Party are now inextricably linked.

Shapps chose to view the recent chaos in Dover and environs as a useful test of the measures taken in anticipation of changes on Jan1st.

Well it seems to be that there is much to be done!

The more important lesson is that we are in the process of creating a great divide between many long established markets and suppliers,apparently on the back of a  £60m fishing industry.

47 minutes ago, RJRB said:

apparently on the back of a  £60m fishing industry.

which even according to fishermen we wont be able to sell to our biggest market, the EU

1 hour ago, RJRB said:

It’s difficult to decide which thread to post some comments on as it is not just Jupiter and Saturn that have become conjoined.

Brexit ,Covid and the Conservative Party are now inextricably linked.

Shapps chose to view the recent chaos in Dover and environs as a useful test of the measures taken in anticipation of changes on Jan1st.

Well it seems to be that there is much to be done!

The more important lesson is that we are in the process of creating a great divide between many long established markets and suppliers,apparently on the back of a  £60m fishing industry.

Indeed, 48 hours has really shown some serious failings that need to be addressed fairly sharpish. I have a lot of sympathy for the lorry drivers stuck down there.

Anyway, assuming they get these Covid delays sorted out, what happens if a similar situation occurs in a weeks time due to Brexit - entirely possible if no deal is agreed.

Should we run a book on which hapless minister gets wheeled out to tell us that "nobody could have predicted this" 

6 hours ago, whiteowl said:

Should we run a book on which hapless minister gets wheeled out to tell us that "nobody could have predicted this" 

:hihi:

Apart from project fear for the last 4 years lol