Consequences Of Brexit [Part 9] Read First Post Before Posting

3 hours ago, L00b said:

Cornwall will be getting 5% of the amount that it was getting from the EU, according to a Welsh councillor quoted in yesterday's The New European.

It asked £700m over 10 years to make up for the EU Objective One shortfall (£765m since 1999). It will be getting £1.8m in the first year, out of the national £220m Growth Deal.

Well.

It's what they voted for.

36 minutes ago, tinfoilhat said:

It's what they voted for.

At the last GE in December 2019, I believe that Johnson had promised them matched funding? 

So if I recall correctly, then no, it's not what they voted for the last time around...

...but well, it's Johnson and the current breed of nationalist 'Tories'. So it cannot come as a surprise.

Lots more of this to come. 4+ years of warning about it all, and all for nothing.

Edited by L00b

51 minutes ago, Delbow said:

Kent lorry park delayed due to rain

I keep thinking of that bit in Red Dwarf where Lister says "We're a real Mickey Mouse outfit, aren't we?"

Strangely enough, only yesterday, I was equating Brexit to the episode "Back to Reality" where the crew emerge from a virtual reality game to find that The Cat is actually called Dwayne Dibley and the previous 4 years were a hallucination.

We can only wish that that was true.

8 minutes ago, max said:

Strangely enough, only yesterday, I was equating Brexit to the episode "Back to Reality" where the crew emerge from a virtual reality game to find that The Cat is actually called Dwayne Dibley and the previous 4 years were a hallucination.

We can only wish that that was true.

ahhh the "Bobby Ewing " ending.....

Boris must be hoping that the continent doesn't have a bad winter as the UK relies on France and Germany for about 7% of its electricity supply.

https://arxiv.org/ftp/arxiv/papers/1802/1802.07457.pdf

"The UK, German and French electricity generation records reveal that a number of unusual factors combined in January 2017 to severely reduce generation capacity in Europe. Despite the fact that the UK-France and UK-Holland interconnectors have provided the UK with about 7% of its electrical power reliably for several years, the experience in January 2017 was that interconnectors cannot be relied upon when there is a general shortage of power in Europe. Germany and France will give their own domestic markets priority."

12 hours ago, Longcol said:

Boris must be hoping that the continent doesn't have a bad winter as the UK relies on France and Germany for about 7% of its electricity supply.

https://arxiv.org/ftp/arxiv/papers/1802/1802.07457.pdf

"The UK, German and French electricity generation records reveal that a number of unusual factors combined in January 2017 to severely reduce generation capacity in Europe. Despite the fact that the UK-France and UK-Holland interconnectors have provided the UK with about 7% of its electrical power reliably for several years, the experience in January 2017 was that interconnectors cannot be relied upon when there is a general shortage of power in Europe. Germany and France will give their own domestic markets priority."

Well, the idea is to go back to 1973 isn't it?

15 minutes ago, West 77 said:

The consensus at the time was that David Cameron had wasted his time and air miles travelling all over the EU trying to get meaningful concessions from the EU for UK and getting the EU to reform.  It's not fake news and I don't attempt to rewrite history. Perhaps you can enlighten me with a list of the reforms the EU brought in before the EU referendum vote because David Cameron stated long before his intention was to see the UK remain in a reformed EU.  

Perhaps you yourself can enlighten me, as to why should a collective of 28 countries (-then, 27 nowadays) "reform" just because the UK asks?

And reform further after 2015, after giving the UK just about everything which its Prime Minister had asked for?

Have you learned nothing in the past 5 years?

UNICEF is going to start feeding British kids this winter. UNICEF! And yet, the UK would presume to dictate to the rest of the world, in your worldview? 

Edited by L00b

57 minutes ago, West 77 said:

A news broadcast states that the German authorities have applied to the EU authorities to fast-track the process, however it is unlikely that this will happen before Christmas. 

if Germany (or any EU country) want to fast-track the approval, then under/within EU rules, they can - *exactly* like the UK did. 

The EU is not holding up any emergency-approval processes.

(more leave lies...)

There is a concern in Germany that if the 'emergency' approval route is taken, it may fuel the anti-vaccine movement, they want all the i's dotted, and t's crossed.

(the news of fast-tracking the approval has raised concerns, we've seen it here)

*full* approval is expected on the 21st December.

The idea that EU Bureaucracy is preventing German/wherever citizens from getting the vaccine is an outright lie - and anti EU propaganda.

Edited by ads36

27 minutes ago, West 77 said:

The very fact none of the EU 27 bloc have chosen to fast track approval is evidence being a member of the EU means bureaucracy is a disadvantage of being member.  I acknowledge past UK Governments haven't used all the powers available to them and used being a member of the EU as an excuse for doing nothing to improve matters over the years.  A positive consequence of Brexit and the return of sovereignty  is all future UK elected Governments will no longer be able to blame the EU unfairly for negative events and will solely be accountable.  The likelihood is if the UK had voted to remain in the EU then the Covid-19 vaccine wouldn't have started to be administrated to the most vulnerable and NHS workers at the beginning of last week in our own country and the decision for approval would have been left to the EU regulators and not the UK regulator.  Standing on our own feet and making decisions unilaterally for the benefit of our own country and people  is a positive consequence of Brexit.

Or alternatively, is evidence that the fast track approach is deemed unsafe by a large number of countries, and that a more measured approach is the best approach, both in terms of public confidence and determining any negative effects of widespread vaccination.

49 minutes ago, West 77 said:

The very fact none of the EU 27 bloc have chosen to fast track approval is evidence being a member of the EU means bureaucracy is a disadvantage of being member.  (...)

I take it from that comment, that you don't export anything, nor have much experience of international trade outside the Single Market.

Don't worry, though: deal or no deal, and irrespective of tariff-free trading getting agreed, as a third party country outside the CU/SM you're about to get schooled about what massive bureaucracy really is -and its cost- very soon :twisted:

Big boy pants time, now.

Edited by L00b

33 minutes ago, West 77 said:

Standing on our own feet and making decisions unilaterally for the benefit of our own country and people  is a positive consequence of Brexit.

i think i know what you mean.

As we can see from your 'EU holding up the approval' nonsense, there seems no limit to what we will blame the EU for - i see no reason why this will stop once we've (fully) left.

we've never let things like facts, the truth, or evidence, stop us from blaming the EU for more or less everything in the past, why stop now?