Consequences Of Brexit [Part 9] Read First Post Before Posting

Now would therefore be a good time to relay INEOS' official announcement today, that it has acquired Mercedes' old SMART car plant in Hambach, France to manufacture Land Rover-inspired Grenadier SUVs, and that it has ended plans to build it in Bridgend, England.

INEOS being owned by billionaire Brexit-backer Jim Ratcliffe.

i'm shocked.

this is my shocked face.

8 minutes ago, L00b said:

Now would therefore be a good time to relay INEOS' official announcement today, that it has acquired Mercedes' old SMART car plant in Hambach, France to manufacture Land Rover-inspired Grenadier SUVs, and that it has ended plans to build it in Bridgend, England.

It's what they voted for (54-45). Car boot will be thrilled businesses arent choosing to locate here. 

1 hour ago, tinfoilhat said:

They're all made to order so they won't have any unsold right hand drive cars sitting around , unless dealerships and car supermarkets have bought a load preregistered ones (same for most companies now i think) and I suspect they've bought as many as they're going to.

Try and find a show Richard hammond did on the VW factory, very interesting.

Well, about that (JIT, really)...in today's automotive news -still- Honda claims that its Swindon plant may begin to be affected by blocked UK ports as early as tomorrow.

Arguably less to do with Brexit (UK is still in WA for a few weeks) than with Covid (-causing CN containers to 'lag'), but a useful illustration of -potential- future performance.

Saying that, German couriers Hermes, DPD and a few more have now discontinued (or are discontinuing at end of week) services to the UK for non-business users, and there are increasing ads from EU SMEs for 'last orders shipping to the UK ever' on account of Brexit (red tape starting 1/1/21 not worth their while).

4 hours ago, L00b said:

This really out to be a wake up call to those who voted for Brexit, especially in Wales. Ratcliffe has said about the German plant that it will give him access to a "first class workforce" - that means you're second class at best in his eyes, Welsh workers. But anyone who voted for Brexit has done their bit already, you're expendable now that it's happening, and it's time for the rich to clean up. 

So, Does anyone else think that Boris' lies will lead to the break up of the UK?

Now we have a border down the Irish Sea, so the Union of Northern Ireland and the Republic is on the cards, and as soon as that arrives, we have Little Nicky Sturgeon mandating the next IndyRef (which will go their way as the last one didn't purely on the "stronger together  mandate") which will result in the break up of the Union.

I would like to say that it is as predicted - well done to the Brexiteers, you have killed the Union.

I hope that Ennnnggggerland, and the Essex boys like Farage (remember him, the one who got foreign passports for his children?), and the other little-minded nationalists (for that is what every brexiteer is) are proud of what they have done.

So, one more nail in OUR coffin without due democratic process - but that is what brexit is all about...

Over and out!

9 hours ago, West 77 said:

None.  Over 50 countries have agreed to continue trade with UK on the same terms they do now until future new trade agreements are made. Japan have made a trade agreement with the UK. Similarly EU data proposals that break international law won't effect trust in the EU for future trade negotiations.

You mean over 50 countries have rolled over the EU trade agreement and we've signed one new one with Japan that is less favourable than the one we had under the EU.  About 10% of the UK overseas trade sorted then.

https://www.cityam.com/90-per-cent-of-uk-trade-not-covered-by-free-trade-deals-post-brexit/

Way to go Team BoJo!

Edited by Longcol

10 hours ago, Delbow said:

This really out to be a wake up call to those who voted for Brexit, especially in Wales. Ratcliffe has said about the German plant that it will give him access to a "first class workforce" - that means you're second class at best in his eyes, Welsh workers. But anyone who voted for Brexit has done their bit already, you're expendable now that it's happening, and it's time for the rich to clean up. 

Where this particular one is concerned, the wake-up call should have been when Ratcliffe moved to Monaco earlier this year...

...but really, there's been *loads more* wake-up calls like that since June 2016.

So no, I very much doubt that this will cause any more waking up, than the earlier ones did. Brexiteers are big on belief, not so much on connecting dots. It'll just give them one more 'reason' to hate the French (Hambach is in France, close to the German border).

6 minutes ago, L00b said:

Where this particular one is concerned, the wake-up call should have been when Ratcliffe moved to Monaco earlier this year...

...but really, there's been *loads more* wake-up calls like that since June 2016.

Yes, Ratcliffe doesn't want to pay tax in the UK to support services and investment for the likes of those who voted the way he wanted them to in the referendum. "Thanks for the votes, now get lost"

20 hours ago, West 77 said:

None.  Over 50 countries have agreed to continue trade with UK on the same terms they do now until future new trade agreements are made. Japan have made a trade agreement with the UK. Similarly EU data proposals that break international law won't effect trust in the EU for future trade negotiations.

You missed my point. It's not about whether we can get trade deals with other countries but who has legal jurisdiction over them. Brexiters made a big thing about wanting British courts to decide over anything to do with us post brexit. The UK government have made it plain that they are prepared to ignore international agreements. How keen are countries going be to accept the UK enforcing trade rules and a UK court being responsible for deciding on trade disputes if it can't trust the UK government to not unilaterally change the rules? As an example of this, part of the deal Gove recently agreed to is to have EU officials permanently in NI monitoring the UK's implementation of the agreed checks.

apologies if this has already been oovered...

Toyota have announced that they've decided not to make Electric cars in Britain - because of you-know-what.

this is particularly bad for Burnaston, Derbyshire, have a guess which way they voted in 2016...

I cannot believe that Boris Johnson was allowed to mislead the public with his claim of an 'Oven ready deal.' before the election.

He won the election on the strength of it, knowing it was a blatent lie. 

He is now claiming it was nothing more than the signing of the paper taking us out on December 31st.  but that was a formality not a deal!

The difficult but far more important bit, 'the deal,' to which people were meant to think he was referring to, is still being faught over as we speak merely days before we break up, and may well end in 'No deal.'

This is a disgusting example of Johnson's willingness to say anything that will advantage him personally, regardless of the consequences. I hear that he, his colleagues, and a large number of business associates are about to make a great deal of money through 'shorting' on the stock markets, but I don't know if this is true, (maybe someone who understands these things will explain.) 

I hope he is held to account for lying to the public over such an important issue, but no doubt he will simply walk away counting his money, and leave others to clean up his mess.