Consequences Of Brexit [Part 9] Read First Post Before Posting

2 hours ago, retep said:

The vote gave leave a majority,  that's what counts 

The UK left the EU last January, so the vote has been respected.

Now, which version of Brexit was that vote for?

2 hours ago, retep said:

the EU will have to sponge off some one else,  R.o.I will soon get fed up of having the EU on it's teat.

Before it became a net contributor to the EU for the very first time in 2016, Ireland had been "sponging at the EU's teat" since 1973.

That's 42 years of "sponging".

That, a world class educational system, and the absence of brain-rotting bilge like The Express, The Daily Mail, The Sun <etc.> goes a long way to explain why EU membership has a positive approval rating for over 90% of the Irish population (-as polled): the very vast majority of the Irish know and understand perfectly well, what their 40+ years of EU membership eventually did for them.

A non-trivial portion also understand very well how good a job their government did with Brexit over the last 4 years, and what Biden's arrival in the White House means in that respect.

Meanwhile, 52% of UK voters believe(d) in bendy banana rules, 'lost' sovereignty', 'uncontrollable' immigration and  "sponging" Brussels. Then proceeded to put Johnson, Cummings, Gove and that Rees-Mogg cabal into 10 Downing street. As an accidental result, and accessorily a proven consequence, massive tax contributors leave the City of London for Dublin.

Well. Keep the one liners. And the change.

Edited by L00b

10 minutes ago, alchresearch said:

I don't understand.  Batters says we're unable to eat the amount we produce, yet we import 70,000 tonnes from New Zealand every year?

Am I missing something in that we could just not import all that NZ lamb and eat UK lamb instead?

Yes, you are missing the complexity of the market. We tend to import prime cuts of lamb from NZ. We export some too, but also lots of other cuts that don’t sell well here. Also, our lamb production is seasonal,  importing from New Zealand gives us lamb at times when we have little of our own ready for slaughter.

I’m sure that we could eat more of our own lamb, but the answer isn’t as simple as it appears at first glance. Something that the Brexiters amongst us still have to grasp.

4 minutes ago, L00b said:

The UK left the EU last January, so the vote has been rrespected.

Now, which version of Brexit was that vote for?

Before it became a net contributor to the EU for the very first time in 2016, Ireland had been "sponging at the EU's teat" since 1973. That's 42 years.

That, a world class educational system, and the absence of brain-rotting bilge like The Express, The Daily Mail, The Sun <etc.> goes a long way to explain why EU membership has a positive approval rating for over 90% of the Irish population (-as polled).

You are so ill-informed.

Happy to take not so willing to give, as you will find out.

Fortunately I only rarely read the Guardian as it's supported by the EU and the righteous left leaners with nae brains.

2 hours ago, tinfoilhat said:

Good - 7000 ex-Nissan workers (and connected businesses) will have years on the dole feeling good about how they voted for brexit and made the likes of Rees mogg wealthier. 

By the looks of it, they’ll get what was predicted and exactly what they voted for.

Can somebody tell me why we no longer make British cars in Britain? (Apart from Morgans, serious question.)

5 minutes ago, retep said:

Happy to take not so willing to give, as you will find out.

Well, you've been such an authority about the Irish so far...

6 minutes ago, retep said:

Fortunately I only rarely read the Guardian as it's supported by the EU and the righteous left leaners with nae brains.

Who's mentioned the Guardian now? Are you drunk?

1 minute ago, L00b said:

Well, you've been such an authority about the Irish so far...

Who's mentioned the Guardian now? Are you drunk?

Who mentioned the Mail the Sun and the Express, not as drunk as some..

17 minutes ago, Anna B said:

Can somebody tell me why we no longer make British cars in Britain? (Apart from Morgans, serious question.)

Did you ever drive a BL car?

Serious answer

Edited by Pettytom

12 minutes ago, Pettytom said:

Did you ever drive a BL car?

Serious answer

Yes, I did. Had a second hand Rover a long time ago, can't remember what else. It got me from A to B which was all  that was required.

Seem to remember Rover company was sold for £1 or something like it, or did I imagine it?

Wouldn't now be a good time to tool up and start preparing to make a British electric car? 

Edited by Anna B

I remember when the 'new' Rover 75 came out.

this was their brand-new model, to take the brand into the 21st century. But they modelled it on my Grandad's slippers, and fitted it with a carriage clock and a walnut dash.

the adverts were filled with stately homes, yachts, golf courses, tweed and butlers.

the Britain i love doesn't belong in a museum, but that's where we keep putting ourselves - trying to make a living selling spitfire teatowels.

Edited by ads36

59 minutes ago, Anna B said:

We no longer manufacture British cars anymore Anna because of global political and economic trading blocs we signed up to, such as the EU, bringing in rules that forbid state aid of industry. Distorts the markets.

But moving labour from poorer parts of the EU to richer parts to keep down labour costs does NOT distort markets - according to the Mickey mouse European kangaroo Court of Justice.

You couldn't make it up. The entire idea behind the EU is to distort markets in favour of business.

Edited by Car Boot

4 minutes ago, West 77 said:

Nissan dismisses reports it is set to close its Sunderland plant

https://www.sunderlandecho.com/business/nissan-dismisses-reports-it-set-close-its-sunderland-plant-3045230

In any case since the EU referendum vote the global  motor industry has changed significantly with the fast change to electric vehicles. Also Japan and the EU have a new trade agreement meaning the factory in Sunderland is no longer has vital for Nissan to export vehicles to mainland EU countries.

I’ll take the report at face value, good news for Sunderland.

However the word salad is a bit more of problem. If Sunderland Nissan aren’t exporting vehicles to the EU - where are they exporting cars? And it’s not the exporting it’s the importing of parts. I’m sure you know about just-in-time manufacturing, and in the VW parts that arrive in their Wolfsburg plant are there for about 30 minutes before going directly to the production line. Nissans sadly will be sat  in a lorry park in Kent. I’m sure they’ve got a plan.

5 minutes ago, Car Boot said:

We no longer manufacture British cars anymore Anna because of global political and economic trading blocs we signed up to, such as the EU, bringing in rules that forbid state aid of industry. Distorts the markets.

So, why can the German’s make cars, but we cannot?

Edited by Pettytom