Consequences Of Brexit [Part 9] Read First Post Before Posting

1 minute ago, Arnold_Lane said:

It was a request not an instruction.

Any comments on Brexit yet?

28 minutes ago, Gormenghast said:

If you have no feelings about the future of the Uk economy, why do you spend so much time telling us how awful it's going to be, and labelling everyone who voted to leave the EU as fools?

As RJRB says above, 99% of the comments are speculation. Why not wait and see?

'wait-and-see' is completely illogical as a justification for a Leave vote.

It makes sense as a cultist belief, but absolutely not as a rational, economical basis: who in their right mind ever bet their house, career and life savings on undefined wishful thinking without any sort of plan?

So, what else did Leave voters foresee 4 years ago, according to you?

11 minutes ago, Organgrinder said:

Any comments on Brexit yet?

Yes, I think what you posted earlier today shows a total misunderstanding of the way international trade works and Brexit or no Brexit, it will never be a case of "I want to buy a French car and they want to sell me one so everyone is happy."  

If you voted Brexit or Remain to make that so, if you think going onto WTO terms will make that so, if you think getting a FTA with France (impossible as they are in the EU anyway) or, say America, then you are. quite simply, wrong.  You can blame politicians for that being the case and say trade is the most important thing a country does yet you don't understand that what you want is beyond laissez-faire nonsense.

Edited by Arnold_Lane

3 minutes ago, L00b said:

'wait-and-see' is completely illogical as a justification for a Leave vote.

It makes sense as a cultist belief, but absolutely not as a rational, economical basis: who in their right mind ever bet their house, career and life savings on undefined wishful thinking without any sort of plan?

So, what else did Leave voters foresee 4 years ago, according to you?

You didnt answer the question.

1 minute ago, Arnold_Lane said:

Yes, I think what you posted earlier today shows a total misunderstanding of the way international trade works and Brexit or no Brexit, it will never be a case of "I want to buy a French car and they want to sell me one so everyone is happy."  

If you voted Brexit or Remain to make that so, if you think going onto WTO terms will make that so, if you think getting a FTA with France (impossible as they are in the EU anyway) or, say America, then you are quite simply, wrong.

I agree with you and that is exactly what I was trying to point out. It is not like that and that is why there are so many problems with trade.

I didn't vote Brexit thinking that it would change that.  As I've sai numerous times, I voted Brexit because Europe has kept usurping our powers and our Governments were stupid enough to let them.

4 minutes ago, Gormenghast said:

You didnt answer the question.

Your first question was a barely-disguised ad hominem, and didn't -and still doesn't- deserve an answer.

Your second question was, and still is, redundant, because this is a discussion forum, and those happy to "wait and see what Brexit looks like" (it has long been very real for an awful lot of people: ask a fellow Brit living and working in the EU, or you friendly exporting SMEs nearby) are by definition not discussing it.

Many of them likely won't ever know what it looks like. They'll live all the consequences at the coalface, but (still) won't connect the dots, and will blame the EU, Brussels, foreigners, French, Germans, judges, lefty lawyers, nurses...everyone and everything their betters tell them to blame for these consequences - even themselves (as seen not so long ago with the government blaming you all for not following Covid rules well enough).

Still, you got a reply. 

14 minutes ago, Organgrinder said:

I agree with you and that is exactly what I was trying to point out. It is not like that and that is why there are so many problems with trade.

There is the contradiction.

You ask, given 168 other countries trade with other countries, why can't we.  Well, those countries either have their own trade agreements with other nations or blocs such as the EU.  It can years for those agreements to be reached and include all sorts of provisos.  I believe India has requested easier migration of it's people to the UK for a trade deal.

You say trade is the most important thing a country can do; Brexit has made it more involved, not less.

I don't agree with the essence of the rest of what you posted.

Edited by Arnold_Lane
to make more accurate

3 minutes ago, Arnold_Lane said:

There is the contradiction.

You ask, given 168 other countries trade with other countries, why can't we.  Well, those countries either have their own trade agreements with other nations or blocs such as the EU.  It can years for those agreements to be reached and include all sorts of provisos.  I believe India has requested free movement of people to the UK for a trade deal.

You say trade is the most important thing a country can do; Brexit has made it more involved, not less.

Yes, Brexit was a most unfortunate necessity.

A pity Europe didn't listen when Cameron told them we needed change.

I don't know why these 168 other countries are keeping you up to speed on their trade  arrangements but anyway,

we now have to live with the result so it would be a good time  to stop crying about i,t and get on with forging trade agreements.

10 minutes ago, Organgrinder said:

A pity Europe didn't listen when Cameron told them we needed change.

That old chestnut.  They made concessions.

I don't know why these 168 other countries are keeping you up to speed on their trade  arrangements 

They aren't personally, but it's not like it's a secret or in any way hard to find out.

we now have to live with the result so it would be a good time  to stop crying about i,t and get on with forging trade agreements.

What do you think the Government has been trying to do?

Edited by Arnold_Lane

at the end we will leave with a trade deal and deal around the world for other goods,the only thing that was good ,before if there was a problem we were part of a block,so could have support,we will see soon

4 minutes ago, bassett one said:

at the end we will leave with a trade deal and deal around the world for other goods,the only thing that was good ,before if there was a problem we were part of a block,so could have support,we will see soon

As it stands, we arent leaving with a trade deal, thats the reason why theyre building a gigantic lorry park in kent.

What do you mean by support?

40 minutes ago, Arnold_Lane said:

(...) I believe India has requested easier migration of it's people to the UK for a trade deal.(...)

In 2018, the UK was (still) trading more with Ireland alone, than with all the BRICs combined. Not sure if that still holds as true today as it did then, because Ireland has been scaling back its trading with the UK in one big hurry since 2017. 

I don't think I need to remind people, about how the UK government has been treating Ireland in the past 2-3 years? Which minister was it, who threatened to blackmail them into famine (-again)? Ah yes, who else but Priti Patel.

A £1 to £0.01 that this drop in the ocean of diplomatic foot-in-mouth gaffes by HMG since 2015, never registered once with our resident Brexit believers.