Consequences Of Brexit [Part 9] Read First Post Before Posting

3 hours ago, retep said:

Perhaps you missed this bit,

"Under the disastrous Withdrawal Agreement and its Transition Period, the UK is still bound by the EU's rules on food safety. If we had wished to restore the previous rules where our meat inspectors could do more than a visual inspection of a pig which might be infected, we could not have done so."

We could have. The EU wide rules are a minimum standard. Each member state can impose more stringent rules if they choose to do so.

29 minutes ago, Litotes said:

Sorry - we have been through this before...

Population of the UK in 2016 - 65 million

Population that voted leave - 17 million...

17/65 is nowhere near half - unless you don't understand the term majority,  (my guess) you cannot claim the majority of the UK voted leave...

Blah blah blah.

Don't care any more...

retep - you dug your hole and for the rest of time we will be pointing out that the leave voter s turned the UK into the 3rd world country we will become...

Well done... one handed clap for you, world's tiniest violins are playing for you as you descend into a no deal oblivion - where it the "easiest deal in history" now?

Just for the record.  You do realise that when you quote a population of  65 million, you do realise that you're including a proportion of the population under the age of 18 who were ineligible to vote, don't you?

We're going over old data but just in case anyone is in any doubt, here's the full details again. 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/politics/eu_referendum/results

72.2% turnout of the eligible voting population, so well over two thirds of the eligible voting population.  I'd call that a fair turnout. 

Of course what I do recall from the few weeks before the referendum was many news reports showing many an enthusiastic 'Remain' supporter, stating how they were going to vote tactically on the day, such as how students weren't going to vote in their home towns & cities but vote in the cities where they were studying or people stating they were mobilising & concentrating their efforts in certain parts of the UK through groups organised via the Internet / chat rooms. 

It seems with hindsight that they were being so clever, they actually forgot to vote? 

There is no getting away from the FACT that just over 17,410,000 / just over 52% of the eligible voting population in a turnout of 72.2% voted to leave. 

History will recall these FACTS. 

Edited by Baron99

3 minutes ago, BigPP said:

We could have. The EU wide rules are a minimum standard. Each member state can impose more stringent rules if they choose to do so.

Indeed, "fish pillows" spring to mind :hihi:

5 minutes ago, Baron99 said:

Just for the record.  You do realise that when you quote a population of  65 million, you do realise that you're including a proportion of the population under the age of 18 who were ineligible to vote, don't you?

We're going over old data but just in case anyone is in any doubt, here's the full details again. 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/politics/eu_referendum/results

72.2% turnout of the eligible voting population, so welk over two thirds of the eligible voting population.  I'd call that a fair turnout. 

Of course what I do recall from the few weeks before the election was many news reports showing many an enthusiastic 'Remain' supporter, stating how they were going to vote tactically on the day, such as how students weren't going to vote in their home towns & cities but vote in the cities where they were studying or people stating they were mobilising & concentrating their efforts in certain parts of the UK through groups organised via the Internet / chat rooms. 

It seems with hindsight that they were being so clever, they actually forgot to vote? 

There is no getting away from the FACT that just over 17,410,000 / just over 52% of the eligible voting population in a turnout of 72.2% voted to leave. 

History will recall these FACTS. 

Sorry - not clear if you are talking about the referendum or last years GE here.

31 minutes ago, Litotes said:

Sorry - we have been through this before...

Population of the UK in 2016 - 65 million

Population that voted leave - 17 million...

17/65 is nowhere near half - unless you don't understand the term majority,  (my guess) you cannot claim the majority of the UK voted leave...

Blah blah blah.

Don't care any more...

retep - you dug your hole and for the rest of time we will be pointing out that the leave voter s turned the UK into the 3rd world country we will become...

Well done... one handed clap for you, world's tiniest violins are playing for you as you descend into a no deal oblivion - where it the "easiest deal in history" now?

Why do you assume that 65 million people in the UK have the right to vote?

2 minutes ago, Car Boot said:

Why do you assume a right wing Tory government will deliver anything to the working class.

https://www.sheffieldforum.co.uk/topic/471637-consequences-of-brexit-part-9-read-first-post-before-posting/page/88/?tab=comments#comment-8372713

Edited by Longcol

2 minutes ago, Car Boot said:

You said the majority of the UK, not the majority of the electorate...

...talking about the uneducated....

5 minutes ago, Longcol said:

Sorry - not clear if you are talking about the referendum or last years GE here

Typo error that's been corrected but REALLY?  Clearly referring to the referendum if you look at the stats provided.  There's even a BBC link.

That's all you've got, then? All you you can pull me up on is a typo?  I must be doing something right then & when the FACTS can't be challenged? 

I'll settle for that.  A typo & being right. 

4 minutes ago, Longcol said:

Why do you assume a right wing Tory government will deliver anything to the working class.

https://www.sheffieldforum.co.uk/topic/471637-consequences-of-brexit-part-9-read-first-post-before-posting/page/88/?tab=comments#comment-8372713

This is where I think certain people have been misled...

Some people think that the Tory dictatorship (for that is what we have at the moment with Mr Boshambles ruling by decree) will deliver what they were promised.

And this is when it is slowly dawning on them that they were CONNED...

And so to save face (rather than save the country) they are pointing the finger anywhere else but at their own faces....

I can already hear "wasn't me I didn't do it, a big boy did it and ran away" coming out left, right and centre.

Accept it - you screwed us over - well done.

8 minutes ago, Car Boot said:

Still waiting for the beneficial evidence of brexit...

Been waiting for 3 years now...

Care to provide evidence not your typical hollow rhetoric?

Please?????

Pretty please....

Pretty please with straight bananas on it?

Edited by Litotes

9 minutes ago, Baron99 said:

Typo error that's been corrected but REALLY?  Clearly referring to the referendum if you look at the stats provided.  There's even a BBC link.

That's all you've got, then? All you you can pull me up on is a typo?  I must be doing something right then & when the FACTS can't be challenged? 

I'll settle for that.  A typo & being right. 

Then why would students voting at home or in the city where their university was made any difference? It wouldn't make any difference in a referendum - it would in a GE. You can't vote tactically at a referendum.

I think you're getting the two mixed up- or maybe the referendum and the 2017 GE.

Edited by Longcol

4 minutes ago, Litotes said:

This is where I think certain people have been misled...

My bold. 

Totally agree.  History will show that 16,414,000 or 48% of the eligible voting population were scared by 'Project Fear', the thought of WWIII breaking out the day after the referendum & Chicken Lickin' being let loose. 

10 minutes ago, Longcol said:

Then why would students voting at home or in the city where their university was made any difference? It wouldn't make any difference in a referendum - it would in a GE. You can't vote tactically at a referendum.

I think you're getting the two mixed up- or maybe the referendum and the 2017 GE.

Maybe I have, maybe I've not?  Maybe it's the whiskey?  I'll concede in part.