Consequences Of Brexit [Part 9] Read First Post Before Posting

5 hours ago, tinfoilhat said:

More good news and opportunities.

Sounds like there will be plenty in UK science and innovation, after Gove just accused the EU of being anti-science and anti-innovation just now in the HoC :)...

...I mean, it's not as if the UK did not slam the Galileo and Erasmus doors with self-satisfying flourish a short while ago, to then spaff £400m's worth of taxpayer's science money on the wrong satellites ;)

18 hours ago, L00b said:

Sounds like there will be plenty in UK science and innovation, after Gove just accused the EU of being anti-science and anti-innovation just now in the HoC :)...

...I mean, it's not as if the UK did not slam the Galileo and Erasmus doors with self-satisfying flourish a short while ago, to then spaff £400m's worth of taxpayer's science money on the wrong satellites ;)

Sadly I can't take credit for it, but the phrase "If you could educate a Brexiteer, there would be no Brexiteers" seem appropriate ;)

On 01/10/2020 at 10:10, Magilla said:

The EU has sent formal notice of it's intention to take legal action against the UK for violating the letter of the Withdrawal Agreement.

The process begins...

This is purely a symbolic gesture. The European kangaroo Court of Justice will have absolutely NO jurisdiction over the UK in a few months.

To put this politically motivated gesture into perspective, in 2019 there were over 800 open infringement cases against EU Member States. Infringement procedure by the ECJ takes, on average, 35 months to complete. The three countries with the largest number of pending infringement proceedings are Spain, Italy and Germany. 

The EU has regularly broken its own treaties, the UK is simply following a precedent set by the EU.

Edited by Car Boot

So because someone else did it  - that makes it ok for us to do it?

What a pathetic point of view.

What the UK is proposing to do is to break international law - not European law.

And actually - the UK broke international treaties many times before the EU did - so they are actually just following the lead of the UK...

As you so often point out - it is their law - but they can break it - they just move the goal posts in the same way the UK government is doing - so are we any better than they are???? Are they???

We need to gain respect from the international community, and what Mr Boshambles is doing will not get us that respect and so we won't get any good trade deal - just WTO ones - and so you, Mr CarBoot, and your negative beleaver cronies (for that is what they are) will doom the UK, and our sons and daughters, and their sons and daughters, to third world status, and penury dependent on hand outs from the rest of the world.

Your rose tinted glass view of the post-brexit world hasn't happened and from all evidence isn't going to happen. What happen then - will you say sorry?

Will you say "I was wrong" - we a\re already seeing the racist lying sexist cheat (aka Mr Boshambles) saying he misspoke (aka he was wrong), but will you?

Will you have the humility to do it?  I doubt it...

1 hour ago, Car Boot said:

This is purely a symbolic gesture. The European kangaroo Court of Justice will have absolutely NO jurisdiction over the UK in a few months.

(...)

Someone needs to re-read the withdrawal agreement and the NI protocol to same that survives its expiry, which Johnson fought so hard to get all MPs to sign up to last December on behalf of thd UK, and which MEPs like Mr Farage signed up to on behalf of the EU.

It's an international treaty, not EU law...

...and its jurisdiction, wilfully agreed to by the signing parties...

...is the ECJ :D

[waits patiently for Brexiteers heads to explode :lol:]

12 hours ago, Litotes said:

So because someone else did it  - that makes it ok for us to do it?

What a pathetic point of view.

What the UK is proposing to do is to break international law - not European law.

And actually - the UK broke international treaties many times before the EU did - so they are actually just following the lead of the UK...

As you so often point out - it is their law - but they can break it - they just move the goal posts in the same way the UK government is doing - so are we any better than they are???? Are they???

We need to gain respect from the international community, and what Mr Boshambles is doing will not get us that respect and so we won't get any good trade deal - just WTO ones - and so you, Mr CarBoot, and your negative beleaver cronies (for that is what they are) will doom the UK, and our sons and daughters, and their sons and daughters, to third world status, and penury dependent on hand outs from the rest of the world.

Your rose tinted glass view of the post-brexit world hasn't happened and from all evidence isn't going to happen. What happen then - will you say sorry?

Will you say "I was wrong" - we a\re already seeing the racist lying sexist cheat (aka Mr Boshambles) saying he misspoke (aka he was wrong), but will you?

Will you have the humility to do it?  I doubt it...

1. Apparently it's the 95th such "legal action" taken against the UK by the EU. Its difficult to see why this one is so important. Oh - I forgot, it's the Remain vote lost in 2016 and a few people who are still living in the past seem to think it's more than politics at work.

2. "International Law" is totally misrepresented. There is no "International Policeman" that's going to arrest the UK. There is no "International Prosecutor" that's taking the UK to the "International Court" where and "International Judge" will lock up the UK. "International Law" is another name for a treaty signed by two or more parties. The treaty is only as good as each party's willingness to stick with it so if one party decides they don't like some or all of it then they will make their own internal decisions on a way forward. The only resolutions available are those within the treaty providing that both parties are willing to apply any sanctions contained therein.

As to "international respect" you make a fair point. There may or may not be wider collateral effects but for anyone worried about the UK's "International Reputation For Trust" needs to have a long hard think about the real collateral effects caused by those 94 prior infractions that you've never heard of. For reference the £ went up against the € over the week that the "legal action" was announced.  It seems that you have little to worry about on the matter of international trust. UK PLC is still one of the most trusted partners in the world.

We seem to be descending into bickering, accusations and personal attacks again.

This is obviously an emotive subject but any more personal comments may see accounts suspended.

If you can’t have a civil discussion without resorting to nastiness then please refrain from posting.

Cheers.

Indeed @nikki-red. With this topic it's pretty easy to start with facts and develop arguments from there. People are entitled to disagree. Consensus is not necessary. 

Hi all, remember me? I first launched this topic way back when (the day after the result was clear). 

I warned back then that the folks voting for Brexit did not understand the consequences. We've had thousands of posts since with people going back and forth on this. Quite exciting really, democracy and dialogue go hand in hand!

One of the things I posted repeatedly was that people did not understand what they voted for, as they had voted 'against'. Dissatisfaction with the UK government led to the Brexit vote. 

Can any of those 'hardcore Brexiteers' please explain how they can still support the government despite the PREDICTED issues in Ireland, the PREDICTED issues with border control at the Channel Tunnel, the PREDICTED threat to the UK Car industry, the PREDICTED threat to the UK banking sector, the PREDICTED issues with setting up international trade deals (from chlorine chicken to the UK accepting deals that are less valuable than those between third states and the EU?) all coming through in rapid succession? 

I'd really love to know because frankly, any pragmatic argument to stop Brexit is coming true and I don't see what the benefit of Brexit is any more than I could way back when. 

Welcome back tzijlstra, many remainers no longer post on here but there are some new ones still challenging the leavers, although quite a lot of the

leavers have left as well.  

13 hours ago, tzijlstra said:

Hi all, remember me? I first launched this topic way back when (the day after the result was clear). 

I warned back then that the folks voting for Brexit did not understand the consequences. We've had thousands of posts since with people going back and forth on this. Quite exciting really, democracy and dialogue go hand in hand!

One of the things I posted repeatedly was that people did not understand what they voted for, as they had voted 'against'. Dissatisfaction with the UK government led to the Brexit vote. 

Can any of those 'hardcore Brexiteers' please explain how they can still support the government despite the PREDICTED issues in Ireland, the PREDICTED issues with border control at the Channel Tunnel, the PREDICTED threat to the UK Car industry, the PREDICTED threat to the UK banking sector, the PREDICTED issues with setting up international trade deals (from chlorine chicken to the UK accepting deals that are less valuable than those between third states and the EU?) all coming through in rapid succession? 

I'd really love to know because frankly, any pragmatic argument to stop Brexit is coming true and I don't see what the benefit of Brexit is any more than I could way back when. 

I don't support the Tory government.

I support a full, clean, No Deal Brexit. Just what we voted for. 

Let's do this.

Edited by Car Boot