Consequences Of Brexit [Part 9] Read First Post Before Posting

9 hours ago, Litotes said:

No evidence then... thought not.

It's Brexit at any cost to these people mate, if you haven't worked that out by now you are as daft as me. Wouldn't matter if there were 14 trillion lorry's queuing at Kent or supermarkets were empty and it cost 14k for a loaf of bread. Absolutely any cost.

14 hours ago, RJRB said:

Not personally embarrassed at all.

I might be if I was an employee within the financial world who had taken substantial earnings and bonuses in any number of dubious and unethical schemes.

All that you are arguing is that a particular bank or financial institution  is more culpable than another .

All banks will continue to pursue schemes to drive profit for themselves and their shareholders .

Self regulation is the name of the game until such time as their reckless dealings results in a Lehman style meltdown and the taxpayers are left to pick up the pieces.

https://www.worldfinance.com/banking/deutsche-banks

With respect, RJRB, that was your argument with your 'so does Deutsche Bank' retort. As if Deutsche Bank was operating solely out of Germany/Frankfurt, and not out of the City and a myriad other places.

My "argument" was, initially at least, not an argument, but witnessing yet another instance of the City haemorrhaging EU-traded assets because the implementation (ho-hum) of Brexit is tanking the passporting of UK services:  topically for the thread, it is an actual consequence, particularly now that Brexit has happened, technically if not (fully-) factually. A consequence long foretold, derided as 'Project Fear' at the time and since, but now realised.

Doing that should -maybe- prompt Leavers to reconsider the rest of what they badged 'Project Fear' back in the day, engage grey cells, and start risk-mitigating in anger, given there's now less than 100 days to factual Brexit, and they all still seem to believe in sunlit up,ands and unicorns this late in their game. Hey, I can dream, right?

The "argument" then developed along the recent FinCen leak, which -amongst other topics, particularly political corruption- reconfirms the prominent role of the City of London (major banks therein , of all 'nationalities') as a hotbed of money laundering practices, due to its longtime privileged links with BOT tax havens. It's obviously not a good look. But it's not as if this just started to happen in the past year or 3, nor as if I had a particular problem with it: I've been explaining, not criticising.

The banks will indeed continue to try and find ways to make profits out of deposits. That is their basic purpose. Always was.

The point of the mountain of financial regulation Directives pushed by the EU (with the ECB pushing strongly at the a55) since 2008 was, and continues to be, precisely to mitigate that 'reckless dealing' still further, and level down opportunities to pursue these (risky) schemes.

The efficiency of these Directives remains an open question at this time. But you can't blame the EU for trying. 

Edited by L00b

I agree that long foretold probabilities,dismissed as Project Fear are fast becoming realities.

In addition to the financial institutions exodus from our shores,a leading item on today’s news is that supermarkets have calculated increased costs of £3.2 billion to the consumer as a result of tariffs on food in the absence of an agreement.

Surprise,Surprise.

Whatever next!!!

Loss of jobs as multinationals shift their manufacturing and offices.

Red tape and paperwork 

Transport delays.

And the benefits are???

24 minutes ago, RJRB said:

I agree that long foretold probabilities,dismissed as Project Fear are fast becoming realities.

In addition to the financial institutions exodus from our shores,a leading item on today’s news is that supermarkets have calculated increased costs of £3.2 billion to the consumer as a result of tariffs on food in the absence of an agreement.

Surprise,Surprise.

Whatever next!!!

Loss of jobs as multinationals shift their manufacturing and offices.

Red tape and paperwork 

Transport delays.

And the benefits are???

A blue passport are you daft?

1 hour ago, RJRB said:

Surprise,Surprise.

(...)

It really isn't.

But that Kent Access Permit was. :shocked:

I wonder if there are Humberside and Anglesey ones in the works, since Hull and Holyhead are both facing the same issue as Dover (on a reduced scale, mind).

Benefits? Don't ask me, ask those who pushed for it.

16 hours ago, Dardandec said:

It's Brexit at any cost to these people mate, if you haven't worked that out by now you are as daft as me. Wouldn't matter if there were 14 trillion lorry's queuing at Kent or supermarkets were empty and it cost 14k for a loaf of bread. Absolutely any cost.

Remainers must come to terms with the fact that we are a small country now, and not a part of an economic and political empire that seeks to always expand.

13 minutes ago, Car Boot said:

Remainers must come to terms with the fact that we are a small country now, and not a part of an economic and political empire that seeks to always expand.

We are. And our influence will diminish, folk might get poorer. That's good right?

43 minutes ago, tinfoilhat said:

We are. And our influence will diminish, folk might get poorer. That's good right?

The influence of our politicians and big business on the world stage must absolutely diminish. You speak as if our continual interference in world affairs has been an unresounding success and it is still the 19th Century. In reality, the global consequences of our influence has been to destroy lives and jobs. The sooner our influence is diminished the better. Bad news for the strutting politicians and the warmongers, good news for the poor of all nations (including our own) who are usually the first to suffer.

As for UK folk getting poorer, canny Leave voters realised that 43 years of membership of the capitalist club hadn't improved their lives in that amount of time and was extremely unlikely to do so in the future.

Edited by Car Boot

8 minutes ago, Car Boot said:

The influence of our politicians and big business on the world stage must absolutely diminish. You speak as if our continual interference in world affairs has been an unresounding success and it is still the 19th Century. In reality, the global consequences of our influence has been to destroy lives and jobs. The sooner our influence is diminished the better. Bad news for the strutting politicians and the warmongers, good news for the poor of all nations (including our own) who are usually the first to suffer.

As for UK folk getting poorer, canny Leave voters realised that 43 years of membership of the capitalist club hadn't improved their lives in that amount of time and was extremely unlikely to do so in the future.

So by being a poorer, less influential country will be better for poor people in this country?

1 hour ago, Car Boot said:

we are a small country now

finally we agree on something

17 minutes ago, Car Boot said:

ah so thats your game you want to make us smaller and poorer and have less influence in the world

18 minutes ago, Car Boot said:

and so you voted to make our lives poorer, great stuff

35 minutes ago, melthebell said:

finally we agree on something

ah so thats your game you want to make us smaller and poorer and have less influence in the world

and so you voted to make our lives poorer, great stuff

We were already smaller and poorer before we even voted to leave the EU.

The days of the British Empire are well gone and our power and influence went with it.

How much power and influence do you think Europe has with nations such as China, Russia and North Korea?

Stop fooling yourselves, we are a minor power in the world today whether in or out of Europe and even the USA doesn't have the clout they once had.

The world order is changing and that is nothing to do with Brexit.