Consequences Of Brexit [Part 9] Read First Post Before Posting

3 hours ago, Car Boot said:

The EU regularly breaks international law and treaties. FACT.

Was the UK in the EU at the time?

Looks like the UK GPS replacement has hit the rocks:

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/technology/2020/09/19/uk-reset-sat-nav-plans-scrapping-work-5bn-galileo-rival/

UK will scrap work on its current £5bn sovereign GPS plans, UKSA is facing Whitehall pressure to revive talks to join the EU's Galileo system.

I wonder what happened to that £400m :?

There's some irony, as an EU member it was the UK that was one of the main advocates for locking out 3rd countries from military use of the system...

...the thing the UK would want... as a 3rd country!

Edited by Magilla

17 hours ago, Magilla said:

That would be the "each individual EU member" bit ;)

Well not really, because the UK doesn't trade with "each individual EU member" either.  It's still a basic misunderstanding of essential principles of economics and business. The UK doesn't really trade with any other nation, bloc, constitution, business or consumer, because the UK is a country. The UK no more makes you trade with Tesco than at Asda. The same principle applies for business; people trade with who they want to trade with.

The UK does not trade, the EU does not trade, individual nations do not trade. It's not a matter of opinion or even pointless pedantry. Business A (UK based) trades Widgets with Business B (based wherever) because together they are a willing seller and buyer. The prevailing macro economic circumstances may or may not suit today's trade. Tomorrow it will be different when they are trading Wotsits. 

If Widgets more attractive in one place or another, and they actually available to buy, the supply moves around. It's trade 101. Price is elastic, as is demand. That elasticity depends on very many factors that go far beyond tariffs. For example, if consumers in Bigland like Wotsits from Otherland they will pay a premium until the elastic snaps. The same essential principles apply to governments who rely on votes from a largely mollified populace. If Wotsits aren't available because Bigland's government has dropped a clanger the populace gets antsy and kicks them out...

... I'll stop there, I'm not here to provide basic tuition that 15 year olds should know. Bored now. Get your biased response in while I really don't care. 

I suppose what I am trying to get at is don't be so desperate for your personal bias to be right that you end up hating everything around you. 2016 happened, ignore the political posturing, see the upsides and make the best of the life that's been handed out.

5 hours ago, Tony said:

Well not really, because the UK doesn't trade with "each individual EU member" either.  It's still a basic misunderstanding of essential principles of economics and business. The UK doesn't really trade with any other nation, bloc, constitution, business or consumer, because the UK is a country. The UK no more makes you trade with Tesco than at Asda. The same principle applies for business; people trade with who they want to trade with.

The UK does not trade, the EU does not trade, individual nations do not trade. It's not a matter of opinion or even pointless pedantry. Business A (UK based) trades Widgets with Business B (based wherever) because together they are a willing seller and buyer. The prevailing macro economic circumstances may or may not suit today's trade. Tomorrow it will be different when they are trading Wotsits. 

If Widgets more attractive in one place or another, and they actually available to buy, the supply moves around. It's trade 101. Price is elastic, as is demand. That elasticity depends on very many factors that go far beyond tariffs. For example, if consumers in Bigland like Wotsits from Otherland they will pay a premium until the elastic snaps. The same essential principles apply to governments who rely on votes from a largely mollified populace. If Wotsits aren't available because Bigland's government has dropped a clanger the populace gets antsy and kicks them out...

... I'll stop there, I'm not here to provide basic tuition that 15 year olds should know. Bored now. Get your biased response in while I really don't care. 

I suppose what I am trying to get at is don't be so desperate for your personal bias to be right that you end up hating everything around you. 2016 happened, ignore the political posturing, see the upsides and make the best of the life that's been handed out.

And the upsides are?

20 minutes ago, tinfoilhat said:

And the upsides are?

Blue passports.

Cheddar cheese.

Trade barriers to stop those pesky Germans selling cars.

And we get to threaten French fishermen with the Royal Navy.

What’s not to like?

10 hours ago, Tony said:

A lot of blindingly obvious waffle that doesn't change the reality that your claims re: "reduced tax receipts, an angry business community and farmers" in the EU27 are equally, or more, applicable to the UK :roll:

Edited by Magilla

7000 trucks in Kent - reasonable worst case scenario - what's the worst worst case scenario?

Gammonleo - we were sold a pig in a poke there - looks like the governments BS solution won't happen (BS= Brexit Satellite - honest)

This really is becoming as easy as all the chinless wonders in the Leave part said it was going to be - and there will be no economic impact - honest!!!

Yet more Mr BoShambles - wait for the whiplash moment...

2 hours ago, Litotes said:

7000 trucks in Kent - reasonable worst case scenario - what's the worst worst case scenario?

Gammonleo - we were sold a pig in a poke there - looks like the governments BS solution won't happen (BS= Brexit Satellite - honest)

This really is becoming as easy as all the chinless wonders in the Leave part said it was going to be - and there will be no economic impact - honest!!!

Yet more Mr BoShambles - wait for the whiplash moment...

Dont worry we have a couple of choices

1: negotiate and buy back into Galileo and be humiliated.

2: use the satellite company that went bankrupt and we bought a 45%? share in, which is Indian, who still have a controlling share? so our GPS system if got up and running would be controlled by India...more Humiliation, taking back control? :D

Edited by melthebell

3 hours ago, Litotes said:

(...)

Ah, so you just saw Mr Gove's letter, then?

Well, your government was always going to prepare British industry and the British public for signficantly increased friction at the borders, because your politicians were perfectly aware that, even if they secured the FTA they demanded, that FTA meant signficantly increased friction at the borders.  

And they were always going to blame (a) the EU; (b) the French (and/or the Germans); (c) the haulage industry; (d) the ferry companies; (e) other industries; (f) the Covid-19 pandemic and (g) malicious fairies, in that order, for the signficantly-increased friction.

What, you thought they were going to acknowledge that it was the direct, entirely forseeable and widely forseen outcome of the UK's own, unconstrained policy choices? ;)

So, well, JP Morgan is moving £230bns' worth of assets out of the UK to Frankfurt. Not the first, nor the last.

Edited by L00b

54 minutes ago, L00b said:

Ah, so you just saw Mr Gove's letter, then?

Well, your government was always going to prepare British industry and the British public for signficantly increased friction at the borders, because your politicians were perfectly aware that, even if they secured the FTA they demanded, that FTA meant signficantly increased friction at the borders.  

And they were always going to blame (a) the EU; (b) the French (and/or the Germans); (c) the haulage industry; (d) the ferry companies; (e) other industries; (f) the Covid-19 pandemic and (g) malicious fairies, in that order, for the signficantly-increased friction.

What, you thought they were going to acknowledge that it was the direct, entirely forseeable and widely forseen outcome of the UK's own, unconstrained policy choices? ;)

So, well, JP Morgan is moving £230bns' worth of assets out of the UK to Frankfurt. Not the first, nor the last.

Thousands of bankrupt angry EU farmers and no fish, seems a fair swop.