Consequences Of Brexit [Part 9] Read First Post Before Posting

49 minutes ago, alchresearch said:

Canada has broken it a few times - with illegal dumping and their change on cannabis use.

Care for a link? I'm intrigued.

Was that the result of legislating votes by Canada?

50 minutes ago, alchresearch said:

Its amazing how often this "international law" is broken.    Canada has broken it a few times - with illegal dumping and their change on cannabis use.

Even the EU themselves broke it a few days ago with regard to migrants.

Same again, link please as I'm intrigued, given that there is no single 'EU' entity, but a collective of 27 member states.

Which international law did 'the EU' breach how?

21 hours ago, Magilla said:

Johnson set to opt out of human rights laws:

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2020/09/12/boris-johnson-set-opt-human-rights-laws/

The great ‘Charter of Human Rights’ was envisioned by one Winston Churchill!

He  championed and advocated its creation.

It's eventual implementation was named the ECHR, the UK drafted the majority of the convention, and was the first signatory...

...so much for those Churchill comparisons :roll:

How low we have sunk :(

Theresa May started on that one before Johnson, she'd never got over the losses which the ECtHR had inflicted upon her during her tenure as Home Secretary.

It was always going to happen anyway, what with the changing British political landscape, as I remember discussing it time and again 4+ years ago (if not earlier, but can't be ar5ed to search further).

How accidentally prophetic was that mention of Belarus and ECHR in the same post, when you look at what's happening there right now...and how prophetic could this new mention of Belarus and ECHR in a Brexit thread prove, in years to come, if the modern-day Tories vote the Internal Market Bill through tonight and continue on their merry rule-by-decree power grab?  :(

Edited by L00b

Milliband, brought in at the last minute, owns Boris' on his own deal!

55 minutes ago, Magilla said:

Milliband, brought in at the last minute, owns Boris' on his own deal!

Had him on toast. 

Edited by tinfoilhat

4 hours ago, L00b said:

Theresa May started on that one before Johnson, she'd never got over the losses which the ECtHR had inflicted upon her during her tenure as Home Secretary.

It was always going to happen anyway, what with the changing British political landscape, as I remember discussing it time and again 4+ years ago (if not earlier, but can't be ar5ed to search further).

The problem has always been that there is nothing you can replace the ECHR with which isn't, in effect, the ECHR.

it was always said the northern island border would be a problem,but boris said everything was fine and ready as he wrote it,alas not so and now its a big problem and everyone is wrong except him,what a mess.

12 hours ago, andyofborg said:

The problem has always been that there is nothing you can replace the ECHR with which isn't, in effect, the ECHR.

Indeed, but then you are assuming there, that the current government would want to replace the ECHR with 'something'.

After last night, it really is not a safe assumption anymore.

15 September today: a month to go now, until 'no deal' enters the final straight.

2 minutes ago, West 77 said:

Every thing would be fine if the EU were acting in good faith regarding a future trade deal. The new domestic legislation is an insurance policy to prevent a mess involving Northern Ireland if a trade deal is not agreed with the EU. Thankfully Boris has a big majority and has the support of the DUP which means it is not a big problem and the legislation will get through parliament easily.

Can you be specific about the ways that the EU are not acting in good faith?

Its a lovely Boris sound bite, but, like most of his claims, it doesn’t stand up to any sort of scrutiny 

13 minutes ago, West 77 said:

The UK negotiating team led by David Frost have said the EU haven't been acting in good faith which is good enough for me. I'm on the side of my own country. The issue of third country status is one example why our elected government believe the EU are not acting in good faith.  The new domestic legislation passed its second reading without any problems yesterday proving  Boris Johnson's claims have stood up to scrutiny. 

I’ll take that as a “no” then.

You really shouldn’t make claims if you can’t substantiate them.  Unless you are PM, of course.

11 minutes ago, West 77 said:

I'm repeating claims my own elected government have stated so don't need to substantiate anything. 

The claims are being made by a man who has serious issues with the truth. But if you are happy to take the word of a notorious liar, that’s fine.

10 minutes ago, West 77 said:

Whatever.

I'm happy we have a Tory government with an eighty seat majority. I'm happy we officially left the EU on 31st January. I'm happy we have a government that will not allow an extension to the transitional period. I'm happy we have a government that won't take any nonsense from the EU. I'm happy we have Prime Minister who is prepared to put British law above international law. I'm happy we have a Prime Minister and government who have outmaneuvered the EU and not prepared to let the EU  weaken our nation's negotiating position for a trade agreement because of the NI situation. 

One that has to break a deal despite them saying it was "oven ready". Hmmm.

27 minutes ago, West 77 said:

Whatever.

I'm happy we have a Tory government with an eighty seat majority. I'm happy we officially left the EU on 31st January. I'm happy we have a government that will not allow an extension to the transitional period. I'm happy we have a government that won't take any nonsense from the EU. I'm happy we have Prime Minister who is prepared to put British law above international law. I'm happy we have a Prime Minister and government who have outmaneuvered the EU and not prepared to let the EU  weaken our nation's negotiating position for a trade agreement because of the NI situation. 

You still haven’t told me what the EU have done to be considered to be negotiating in bad faith.

Until you can substantiate your claim, I don’t think I place much value on your other  opinions.