Consequences Of Brexit [Part 9] Read First Post Before Posting

Yet more posts have been removed.

There is a clear warning at the top of every page of this thread. If you can’t have a discussion without resorting to digs and insults then please don’t post.

21 minutes ago, West 77 said:

I assume you keep all your stockpile of food in a nuclear fallout shelter because when Cameron was the government he warned us all before the referendum vote that the risk of a third World war would increase if the UK left the EU.  

Cameron never made such a claim, the claims re:WW3 were made by Boris :?

Edited by Magilla

21 minutes ago, West 77 said:

That's an interesting new remainer tactic to attribute claims made by the remain campaigning former Prime Minister Cameron to Boris.  

It's the same tactic remainers have used from that start, the one that leaves leavers flummoxed and falling over themselves to show they really don't have a clue...

...the truth :?

Cameron never claimed Brexit would, or could, lead to WW3.

That claim was falsely attributed to Cameron, by Boris (and subsequently the pro-leave papers).

Cameron never made any such claim! :roll:

Edited by Magilla

14 minutes ago, Magilla said:

It's the same tactic remainers have used from that start, the one that leaves leavers flummoxed and falling over themselves to show they really don't have a clue...

...the truth :?

Cameron never claimed Brexit would, or could, lead to WW3.

That claim was falsely attributed to Cameron, by Boris! :roll:

Two reports from the time to back up that:

Brexit could jeopardise peace in Europe, Cameron warns

Boris Johnson: Brexit would not cause World War Three in Europe

On 28 August 2020 at 13:09, West 77 said:

Let's see what happens as we get nearer 31st December.  At least this time we haven't got the threat of pro EU MPs  sabotaging our negotiations.

'Pro EU' MPs (any MPs, really) are the least of the UK's numerous problems in its "negotiations". 

More problematic for all (-in the UK), is the political agenda behind the UK still breaking on all 4 about LPF on State Aid. Beside the fact that LPF is a front-&-center ask of every EU27 country's Brexit priority list.

8 hours ago, West 77 said:

I assume you keep all your stockpile of food in a nuclear fallout shelter because when Cameron was the government he warned us all before the referendum vote that the risk of a third World war would increase if the UK left the EU.  

There is no need to prepare for anything - there is a potential for some imported foods to become more costly - there may be some difficulties in getting certain foods in - there may not be.

we are not reliant on the EU for food supply - it is someone using the word “disruption” and then scaring people into suggesting people stock pile food so they don’t “starve”.

just ignore it.

1 hour ago, HeyBrother said:

There is no need to prepare for anything - there is a potential for some imported foods to become more costly - there may be some difficulties in getting certain foods in - there may not be.

we are not reliant on the EU for food supply - it is someone using the word “disruption” and then scaring people into suggesting people stock pile food so they don’t “starve”.

just ignore it.

Over 60% of UK food is imported from the EU. Thousands of trucks, every day of every week.

Failing a deal being reached in time, that includes the relevant HGV driving licence equivalencies, permits, veterinary certs (animal products), phyto certs (non-animal products) and oodles more paperwork most anyone in the UK has long forgotten about and that are still required for non-EFTA TIR transport, continuity of supply from EU suppliers to the UK retail supply chain under *current* conditions is undeniably at risk.

It may not concern the whole of the 60%. But enough of it, paired with a run on shelves the minute shortages in supermarkets start to hit people's Facebook and Watts App feeds (just like bog rolls a few months ago), and you could be facing a problem. Not a life-threatening one, there will still be 'food' of one sort or another. But still, a problem.

Less of a problem for people with spending margin untapped for groceries. More of a problem for people counting the pennies every week. And a huge problem for the unfortunates relying on food banks...of which there are ever more in the UK, regrettably.

1 minute ago, L00b said:

Over 60% of UK food is imported from the EU. Thousands of trucks, every day of every week.

Failing a deal being reached in time, that includes the relevant HGV driving licence equivalencies, permits, veterinary certs (animal products), phyto certs (non-animal products) and oodles more paperwork most anyone in the UK has long forgotten about and that are still required for non-EFTA TIR transport, continuity of supply from EU suppliers to the UK retail supply chain under *current* conditions is undeniably at risk.

It may not concern the whole of the 60%. But enough of it, paired with a run on shelves the minute shortages in supermarkets start to hit people's Facebook and Watts App feeds (just like bog rolls a few months ago), and you could be facing a problem. Not a life-threatening one, there will still be 'food' of one sort or another. But still, a problem.

Less of a problem for people with spending margin untapped for groceries. More of a problem for people counting the pennies every week. And a huge problem for the unfortunates relying on food banks...of which there are ever more in the UK, regrettably.

From gov uk

The leading foreign supplier of food consumed in the UKwere countries from the EU(30%).

this is what we send out 

from gov.uk

The total value of food and drink exports rose to £23.6 billion in 20196

so disruption, possibly.

panic buying and starvation - no.

Don’t get me wrong I think leaving the EU was a stupid decision - I’m not the least bit worried about starving due to it though. 

It's 45% including non-EU food imported into the UK under EU FTAs (which the UK is losing at the end of the WA), not 60% you're right.

Your food exports (60% to EU27, that's where my imperfect recollection came from) are at just as much of a risk as your food supply in case of no deal.

I suppose the UK can eat what it doesn't export. Potatoes & cabbage in winter, cucumber in summer. For a short-time fix, that is, as that is not an agricultural policy - by far.

Stats from the House of Lords' 2019 Brexit and food security report. Worth your while tracking down and perusing, might accessorily give you an independent insight about the final point that I made about food poverty in the UK and its close relevance where Brexit disruption is concerned.

3 minutes ago, L00b said:

It's 45% including non-EU food imported into the UK under EU FTAs (which the UK is losing at the end of the WA), not 60% you're right.

Your food exports (60% to EU27, that's where my imperfect recollection came from) are at just as much of a risk as your food supply in case of no deal.

I suppose the UK can eat what it doesn't export. Potatoes & cabbage in winter, cucumber in summer. For a short-time fix, that is, as that is not an agricultural policy - by far.

Stats from the House of Lords' 2019 Brexit and food security report. Worth your while tracking down and perusing, might accessorily give you an independent insight about the final point that I made about food poverty in the UK and its close relevance where Brexit disruption is concerned.

As I said - I’m not suggesting it won’t be disruptive - or that it’s a good idea.

people won’t starve though.