Consequences Of Brexit [Part 9] Read First Post Before Posting

18 hours ago, Car Boot said:

Brexit is very much a middle class anxiety.

Working class people moved on from Brexit long ago.

If Brexit creates anxiety for anyone, it is for EU27 residents in the UK, UK residents in the EU27, the British business sector as a whole, and EU27 businesses with non-redundant commercial ties with the UK.

Because none of them knows yet, with any degree of certainty, how their daily lives shall be actually impacted by Brexit, over 4 years from the referendum and with 140-odd days to go now (and yet again, and still, a strong likelihood of a very hard Brexit maintaining that uncertainty beyond 1/1/21).

All they have to go by, still and in practical terms, are the EU's stakeholder notices (-which accessorily confirm what some of us Fear-projecting crystal ball-polishers, aka "experts", always predicted pre-Ref).

Class has nothing whatsoever to do with it. I'll venture many amongst these EU27inUK and UKinEU27 would qualify as "working class" themselves, indeed.

Social responsibilitiy does (-have a fair bit to do with it), to the extent that one-

(i) understands how unavoidable consequences will eventually impact the socio-economic well-being of everyone in the UK, and

(ii) is in a position to do something, anything about it.

As for "working class people moving on", presuming that you mean the British Ref voters in 2016: is that the contingent of pro-Leave WC people, or the contingent of pro-Remain (Rejoin nowadays) WC people, who is supposed to have 'moved on' long ago?

I'd like to think that the smart ones amongst them, on either side of that divide, and irrespective of any change of heart since 2016, haven't moved on, but are indeed busy preparing for it the best they can.

Edited by L00b

3 hours ago, Lockjaw said:

I'll add to that that there are vaste swathes of so-called "working class" hard line brexiters who are absolutely paranoid that their precious brexit is going to be stolen from them.  So much so that any challenging of the current government is seen by them purely as an anti-brexit move.

Chris Grey's latest blog article for Byline  is a very good piece on this topic, arguing that Faragists and assorted other Brexiters yearn for a return to the psychological comfort of their political victimhood in pre-Ref times.

The Brexit movement was always one of campaign and complaint, feeding on a sense of victimhood. It thrived on the idea of being the powerless ‘silent majority’, forbidden by the ‘PC elite’ from ‘saying what we really think’. Given such a mindset, winning the referendum was actually a disaster for them because, from then on, they were in charge and their policy has defined British politics.

Ever since then, they have sought to regain the comfort zone of victimhood. Their driving force is not, as it might seem, the constant fear of betrayal but the constant need and desire to be betrayed.

Edited by L00b

8 hours ago, L00b said:

Chris Grey's latest blog article for Byline  is a very good piece on this topic, arguing that Faragists and assorted other Brexiters yearn for a return to the psychological comfort of their political victimhood in pre-Ref times.

Thanks for the link, a good read :)

Edited by Magilla

On 13/08/2020 at 19:03, Car Boot said:

Brexit is very much a middle class anxiety.

Working class people moved on from Brexit long ago.

I think you're getting your Marxism in a twist.

Do the "middle class" own the means of production or are they as much wage slaves as the "working class". Your description of "working class" is usually more lumpen than proletariat.

On 14/08/2020 at 15:08, Magilla said:

Thanks for the link, a good read :)

Yep.  Thanks Loob.  Nice to read things which agree with me 😁.

4 hours ago, Magilla said:

Brexit trade talks set to stall again over British truckers’ EU access:

https://www.ft.com/content/a28f2708-0db9-4e82-8ed5-45c8b22df4f4

"Brussels warns that UK demands on haulage are too close to single-market rights"

Seems to be behind a paywall but let me guess, the UK wants it's cake and eat it?

7 hours ago, whiteowl said:

Seems to be behind a paywall but let me guess, the UK wants it's cake and eat it?

Of course, it's fantasy land, all of the good stuff, none of the bad, the world doesn't work like that

It is still cakeism indeed, and you can count on the EU27 to reliably send it packing.

Besides UK hauliers (and UK funds managers, in yesterday's FT IIRC), here's another bit of cakeism sent packing, about a burning hot topic (Guardian link, but reported in most other MSM sources).

No more Dublin III, and no 'Dublin III lite' without signing up to LPF: UK gets to keep all the asylum seekers from 1.1.21.

A fully-expected consequence of Brexit which, if I am not mistaken, I wrote about before the 2016 referendum (Sangatte would end up replicating in Kent).

Brexit means Brexit.

Edited by L00b

Desperation seems to be kicking in on here.

18 minutes ago, retep said:

Desperation seems to be kicking in on here.

As yet another remain prediction raises it's head...

...from you, clearly :P

Where are all the leavers promising milk and honey these days?

Seems a significant number now realise they've been played for fools:

https://www.thelondoneconomic.com/politics/support-for-brexit-is-collapsing-poll/26/06/

You... not so much :?

Edited by Magilla

1 hour ago, Magilla said:

As yet another remain prediction raises it's head...

...from you, clearly :P

Where are all the leavers promising milk and honey these days?

Seems a significant number now realise they've been played for fools:

https://www.thelondoneconomic.com/politics/support-for-brexit-is-collapsing-poll/26/06/

You... not so much :?

Yep desperation is kicking  in when they have to go looking for a poll that agrees with them.😀