Consequences Of Brexit [Part 9] Read First Post Before Posting

29 minutes ago, andyofborg said:

N ot sure that's the case. Turming the south east of england into a lorry park, the return of roaming charges, the loss of reciprocal health care, there are lots of things which can and will be correctly identified as a consequence of brexit. a lot of these are the sorts of things which will affect people directly. 

Indeed, it will inevitably have a negative effect on the recovery from Covid so I think the effects will still be fairly self evident.

19 hours ago, andyofborg said:

N ot sure that's the case. Turming the south east of england into a lorry park, the return of roaming charges, the loss of reciprocal health care, there are lots of things which can and will be correctly identified as a consequence of brexit. a lot of these are the sorts of things which will affect people directly. 

Roaming charges won't return - Three has already pledged to not reintroduce them. If others do, people can change providers.

Roaming charges won't return so long as your provider says so.

Rather a different situation to "no roaming charges by law", which was the situation during EU membership (and kept on life support by the transition period).

But so far as travelling in the EU27, roaming charges are the proverbial tree hiding the forest of expensive red tape starting 1st Jan.

Starting with travel insurance  to replace the free EHIC (especially for those OAPs with pre-existing conditions: I've seen £600+ quotes for Feb 21 travel dates), international driving license & the fat bundle of paperwork if you travel by car, starting the 4-months long pet travel circus early enough, etc

etc,

etc,

Edited by L00b

So in a nutshell travelling to the EU will become subject to the same planning, bureaucracy and expense as preparing to travel any of the other 251 recognised nations in the world.

An inconvenience.....yes 

A shock to some.....yes

Restrictive and offputting....maybe

..... But lets not descend into doomsday hysteria as if there's going to be some collapse the ability to and desire to cross the channel.  

People travelled, traded with, aided, collaborated with and exchanged with their European neighbours before we joined the EU and they will continue to do so when we leave.

Like anything it's going to be a big adjustment but that will pass and those who want to do it or need to do it will accept the changes and adjust to the new way.   

Whether someone personally likes the new regime is irrelevant.  The vote is done.  Its happening.  I personally didn't like the result and I personally am aware of the potential risks of loosing certain things - but the decision has been made.  The energy should now be put into how it's going to work going forward not constantly whining and mourning about what has happened in the past. 

Edited by ECCOnoob

I suppose it had been a while since the old "you're not believing enough" argument had been wheeled out :D

Well, get ready to believe harder still: strong and insistent rumours today, that the UK government is ditching the negotiations this week and aiming all efforts at getting WTO trading-ready by year end. That's the moniker for "no deal", by the way. How many Leavers voted for that, again?

Now I can't be sure whether that mooted walk-out is a kite-flying negotiating tactic...but if it is, it's dumber than a pile of rocks.

As for "whining and mourning what happened in the past"...that "past" is precisely what second countries like the EFTA 4, and third countries like Korea, Japan, Canada <etc>, have been negotiating with the EU, and continue to negotiate with the EU, towards. 

I dunno. Maybe none of them believes hard enough.

Courage, lads. You've always got Article 49 :)

Edited by L00b

So, with the economy already threatened by the twin catastrophes of Covid and Brexit, it appears that we are also bleeding talent.

Trade deals seem a long way off, we are in the mother of all recessions and now, this study suggests that we have a silent disaster playing out as our brightest and best either flee, or plan to stay fled permanently.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/aug/02/brexit-fuels-brain-drain-as-skilled-britons-head-to-the-eu?CMP=Share_iOSApp_Other

This brexodus of British talent is a very long-predicted consequence, it was always going to happen once Brexit became unavoidable, but never less so than once British politics turned full-on Trumpian late last year.

It's worth linking the authors' academic guest blog, here.

On 02/08/2020 at 08:22, Pettytom said:

So, with the economy already threatened by the twin catastrophes of Covid and Brexit, it appears that we are also bleeding talent.

Trade deals seem a long way off, we are in the mother of all recessions and now, this study suggests that we have a silent disaster playing out as our brightest and best either flee, or plan to stay fled permanently.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/aug/02/brexit-fuels-brain-drain-as-skilled-britons-head-to-the-eu?CMP=Share_iOSApp_Other

But the 'brain drain' clearly isn't working out according to the piece for some is it? 

A British academic in his 40s, who is married with a young family – and who migrated in July 2016 – told researchers: “The referendum happened and we immediately changed our minds about buying a house in Bristol. Our whole emigration decision hung on the referendum result.”

The majority of interviewees who left agreed to either a pay cut or a pay freeze as part of their decision. Some struggled to find a job. “I have still not found work, which is not what I expected […] The cost of the move in personal and financial terms is always difficult to foresee, and I’m starting to wonder if I underestimated the risk involved,” said a British IT worker who migrated in October 2019 with his wife and three children.

It's alright The Guardian throwing numbers & percentages out their to try & back up their futile, tiresome Brexit disappointment but it's interesting that they chose to highlight someone who is clearly struggling with the move abroad.  

Couldn't they find someone with a success story then? 

21 minutes ago, Baron99 said:

But the 'brain drain' clearly isn't working out according to the piece for some is it? 

A British academic in his 40s, who is married with a young family – and who migrated in July 2016 – told researchers: “The referendum happened and we immediately changed our minds about buying a house in Bristol. Our whole emigration decision hung on the referendum result.”

The majority of interviewees who left agreed to either a pay cut or a pay freeze as part of their decision. Some struggled to find a job. “I have still not found work, which is not what I expected […] The cost of the move in personal and financial terms is always difficult to foresee, and I’m starting to wonder if I underestimated the risk involved,” said a British IT worker who migrated in October 2019 with his wife and three children.

It's alright The Guardian throwing numbers & percentages out their to try & back up their futile, tiresome Brexit disappointment but it's interesting that they chose to highlight someone who is clearly struggling with the move abroad.  

Couldn't they find someone with a success story then? 

Surely, highlighting that case is an indication of honest and balanced journalism. However, some people have such a jaundiced view of the Grauniad that they’d find a reason to criticise the paper even if it had chosen a more successful example to highlight.

1 hour ago, horribleblob said:

Surely, highlighting that case is an indication of honest and balanced journalism. 

It is that and, in plain terms, it illustrates how emigrating needs to be carefully considered and thoroughly planned: it isn't the easy, walk-in "expat life" in rural France or sunny Spain which many (most?) wrongly believe it to be, conditioned as they may be by years and years of stereotyping. It's a big risk, and hard work.

And if you're a Brit looking to move to the EU27, doubly so, because EU27 employers are not hungry *at all* for British candidates with a big question mark over their entitlement to live and work (incl.capacity to roam intra-EU27 for work duties), and over the validity and recognizability of their qualifications, after 01.01.21.

I see we have Iain Duncan Smith complaining on Twitter...

...seems the Withdrawal Agreement he voted for, the one he denied MPs more time to debate in the Commons, isn't what he thought it was.

Turns out, he didn't know what he was voting for! Colour me shocked....

Edited by Magilla

13 hours ago, West 77 said:

All Tory Candidates agreed to support the Withdrawal Agreement before the December General Election because that was part of the Tory Election Manifesto. Many Tory MPs didn't like the Withdrawal Agreement which they voted for.

So they signed something they don't like that affects us all just to help the Tory party? Lovely excuse