Consequences Of Brexit [Part 9] Read First Post Before Posting

4 hours ago, West 77 said:

A consequence of the UK leaving the EU on 31st January is that the UK can now negotiate its own trade deals with other countries such as New Zealand and India.

We don't have the time to do it...

We will end up with a majority of WTO rules applied to us and then end up trying to negotiate better deals well into the next pandemic.

10 minutes ago, West 77 said:

Some future trade agreement will be reached with the EU before 31st December.  Thankfully now there is an eighty seat Tory majority those negotiating for the UK haven't got their hands tied behind their backs.  I'm not the least concerned about WTO terms but rather than speculate I'm waiting to see what happens.

But couldn't we have had WTO terms ages ago?

So hasn't the prevarication by the (lackof)government actually hampered us?

Yet again more evidence of the failings of the lying cheating racist sexist PM we have in place at the moment.

1 hour ago, altus said:

You've obviously forgotten my previous posts on the subject.

I've been trying to highlight the odd position of people who don't like FOM when it's with the EU suddenly being in favour of FOM when it's with someone else. The arguments for/against FOM with NZ are the same as those for/against FOM with the EU.

I am not following the thread, because its all been said before. I am a remainer, but we must accept what agreement is reached and go from there.

I agree with the principle of FOM, but too much immigration creates ill feelings and the politicains use it to divide the country. Climate change does not recognise borders, people believe free trade is good and they want free movement for holidays and to be able to live abroad when they have retired.

Its just a matter of managing integration, housing and benefits.

Back in AD 122 we had Hadrian's Wall, that is now in the past, we should not go backwards and have borders and walls, that is Trump territory.

The evidence that these are no allegations, but are in fact fact are many - for example...

Sexism - https://www.businessinsider.com/boris-johnson-record-sexist-homophobic-and-racist-comments-bumboys-piccaninnies-2019-6?r=US&IR=T

Racism - https://www.businessinsider.com/boris-johnson-record-sexist-homophobic-and-racist-comments-bumboys-piccaninnies-2019-6?r=US&IR=T

Lying - https://boris-johnson-lies.com/

Cheating - https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2018/sep/07/boris-johnson-wife-affair-tories-party-cheat-liar

As for leaving with No Deal, I thought that we were promised by Boris that No Deal was off the table - but that is yet another U-turn now he has his cronies behind him (At least until Gove stabs him in the back).

Whiplash BoJo - U-turns faster than he can have another child  - number... er... er... er... lost count"

And my posts on the evidence of what you called allegations?

13 hours ago, El Cid said:

I am not following the thread, because its all been said before. I am a remainer, but we must accept what agreement is reached and go from there.

I agree with the principle of FOM, but too much immigration creates ill feelings and the politicains use it to divide the country. (...)

Its just a matter of managing integration, housing and benefits.

(...)

Being a 'Remainer' or 'Leaver' now, is a redundant notion: the UK has Brexited. These tags may still have some usefulness in debate, to describe individual positions before 31 Jan 2020, but that's the sum total of it.

As for 'too much immigration', and 'managing integration, housing and benefits', these issues were always for successive UK governments to manage, right from the start (and long before large-scale economic migration from East european 'accession' countries even started), and nothing whatsoever to do with the EU.

27 other member states managed to implement, enforce and maintain "no job? go home" policies on EU migrants just fine through the years, and still do.

Enough with the EU scapegoating on this. It's been over 4 years  now.

13 hours ago, Litotes said:

(...)

As for leaving with No Deal, I thought that we were promised by Boris that No Deal was off the table - but that is yet another U-turn now he has his cronies behind him (At least until Gove stabs him in the back).

Whiplash BoJo - U-turns faster than he can have another child  - number... er... er... er... lost count"

Johnson might have enough time to U-turn in late 2020, if Trump doesn't get elected.

Then again, by that time, the EU27 might just choose to ignore it.

The EU just isn't emotionally involved, and won't let itself be pressured by time (since they've already long mapped out alternative outcomes and strategies for getting to each). If there's an agreement to be had, that the EU27 can live with, they'll take it. If there isn't, they won't and will keep negotiating into 2021 instead.

Edited by L00b

UK to invest in non-GPS satellite system to offset losing access to GPS satellite system :?

'We've bought the wrong satellites': UK tech gamble baffles experts:

https://www.theguardian.com/science/2020/jun/26/satellite-experts-oneweb-investment-uk-galileo-brexit

“What’s happened is that the very talented lobbyists at OneWeb have convinced the government that we can completely redesign some of the satellites to piggyback a navigation payload on it.”

It's those ferries all over again...

6 minutes ago, Magilla said:

UK to invest in non-GPS satellite system to offset losing access to GPS satellite system :?

https://www.theguardian.com/science/2020/jun/26/satellite-experts-oneweb-investment-uk-galileo-brexit

“What’s happened is that the very talented lobbyists at OneWeb have convinced the government that we can completely redesign some of the satellites to piggyback a navigation payload on it.”

Or world leading Apps

Can we orbit the Isle of Wight

Edited by RJRB

9 minutes ago, Magilla said:

I read a similar article on the BBC web site; their piece seemed to say we could have got it cheap, but its a very risky deal.

3 hours ago, Magilla said:

Project Fear surely? 🙄

To be honest, not heard much about Project Fear since a lot of it has started to come true. Is it still a term in common usage? 🤔

On 27 June 2020 at 00:42, whiteowl said:

To be honest, not heard much about Project Fear since a lot of it has started to come true. Is it still a term in common usage? 🤔

Doesn't really matter any more, and has't for a good while.

And it's way past too late anyway, by all indicators going.

The EU presidency rolls over to Germany very soon and, in that context, yesterday Merkel for the first time dropped the conciliatory "let's find a deal" approach with the UK, and called time on the ERG-run UK government rethoric and games: Germany's priority during its presidency will be managing the socio-economic aftermath of Covid for the EU27 and preserving the Single Market; and the UK can do whatever they want about a relationship with the EU27, whenever they're ready and feeling like it...or not: same difference for Germany.

Edited by L00b

Good morning folks, on this beautiful 1st July, by which no extension has been requested, whilst the UK government cheered loudly yesterday about removing your Freedom of Movement in 30 countries, possibly to distract from that outcome and from Barnier killing off the City's hopes of keeping things ticking.

So, the end run begins today. Excited?