Consequences Of Brexit [Part 9] Read First Post Before Posting

And here's me thinking that Boris had 'got Brexit done.'

He won an election on the strength of that. 

And people believed him. . . . . . 

10 hours ago, Anna B said:

And here's me thinking that Boris had 'got Brexit done.'

He won an election on the strength of that. 

And people believed him. . . . . . 

As public enemy sang dont believe the hype

Edited by melthebell

28 minutes ago, melthebell said:

As public enemy sang dont believe the hype

Oh I do so agree. But sadly too many people still do. It won the Tories the election.

What does it take to wake people up?

10 hours ago, Longcol said:

The NZ deal at best increases GDP by 0.01%, the Australian by 0.02% and the USA by a whopping 0.16%.

Note: that US 0.16% percent is contingent upon relaxing standards on meat imports and other agrifoods.

As previously announced loud & clear by the US, and so says the US trade representative again (in today's media at large, pick your source).

11 hours ago, Longcol said:

And yet HMG are ******* about with the EU deal (or more than likely no deal) which is far larger than all the others put together.

HMG actually asked the EU to draft the deal by July.

I suppose, based on form and precedent, so Johnson can sell it as his great victory over the EU.

So relax, you might end up with BrINO yet ;) (...just don't tell the Leavers)

10 minutes ago, Anna B said:

Oh I do so agree. But sadly too many people still do. It won the Tories the election.

What does it take to wake people up?

When did you wake up?

I haven't forgotten our Brexit- and Farage-related exchanges 4-or-so years ago, and on rare occasions since. Proof that there is hope yet :)

8 minutes ago, L00b said:

Note: that US 0.16% percent is contingent upon relaxing standards on meat imports and other agrifoods.

As previously announced loud & clear by the US, and so says the US trade representative again (in today's media at large, pick your source).

I suppose, based on form and precedent, so Johnson can sell it as his great victory over the EU.

When did you wake up?

I haven't forgotten our Brexit- and Farage-related exchanges 4-or-so years ago, and on rare occasions since. Proof that there is hope yet :)

As you know, I'm a big fan of Jeremy Corbyn. I trust him, (a politician you can trust - now there's a novelty!) and think his proposals were the best way forward. Calm, considered, and reasonable, but would have taken a bit longer. But Boris promised to 'Get Brexit Done!' and didn't.

7 minutes ago, Anna B said:

As you know, I'm a big fan of Jeremy Corbyn. I trust him, (a politician you can trust - now there's a novelty!) and think his proposals were the best way forward. Calm, considered, and reasonable, but would have taken a bit longer. 

Corbyn's proposals about Brexit were too mixed a set of signals, trying as he was to please both Labourite sides of the Brexit debate, and unsurprisingly ending up pleasing none.

11 minutes ago, Anna B said:

But Boris promised to 'Get Brexit Done!' and didn't.

Ah, but hang on, be fair here: Boris did, Brexit was done, on 31 January 2020.

The aftermath of Brexit wasn't done (save for the transition period ending 31 December 2020).

Now, did Johnson make any promises about that?

23 minutes ago, Magilla said:

Now that's a big change - not so long ago the Aussies stated they didn't want to be swamped with cheap unskilled labour.

3 hours ago, L00b said:

(...)

(...)

Odds are looking up right now, as it happens. This just hot off the European Parliament democratic process:

572 MEP votes in favour of latest Brexit resolution (LPF a must, no Swiss-style salami-slicing agreements allowed)

34 MEP votes against

91 MEPs abstaining

Unfortunately, no guarantees about which, of a BrINO or a no deal, these odds favour: that remains solely for the UK to determine.

Because the one certainty is that this vote keeps Barnier's mandate, and manoeuvering room in the negotiations, on a razor edge-like straight and narrow.

Edited by L00b

Unfortunately for the UK Johnson is in favour of have all the cake you can eat and spaff it up against the wall deals. 

Just seen that the Bank of England reckon there has been up to £800 million ,per week loss to the economy since the referendum.

Goldman Sachs ,this week report its a mere £600million a week loss both agreeing a "no deal" deal will further hurt the economy

1 hour ago, CaptainSwing said:

With the levels of unemployment we're going to be seeing soon, there isn't a country in the world that will want to be encouraging immigration, skilled or unskilled (but especially unskilled).

The UK population has been increasing due to immigration since 1985, also due to people living longer.

https://www.ons.gov.uk/peoplepopulationandcommunity/populationandmigration/internationalmigration/articles/explore50yearsofinternationalmigrationtoandfromtheuk/2016-12-01