Consequences Of Brexit [Part 9] Read First Post Before Posting

3 hours ago, melthebell said:

Funnily enough the Chinese were seen as "nice" immigrants by brextremists during the referendum campaign, compared to the nasty "immigrants" coming from countries in the EU.

I wonder if their views have changed now

All our foreign born NHS staff are now welcome, but that wasnt the case before. We would like more, but the Government prioritised older retired staff, some of whome have now died of COVID19

33 minutes ago, West 77 said:

You're entitled to your own anti Brexit opinions. The goalposts got wider when Boris Johnson won an eighty seat majority in our favour to negotiate a free trade deal  and they have become wider still in our favour because of the global economic crisis caused by the coronavirus. 

You're too wrapped up in wishful and short term thinking. The EU haven't been negotiating a deal for the next few years, they are looking 20 or more years ahead.

10 hours ago, West 77 said:

If I was  a remain voter who had complained about the referendum result I would be feeling really embarrassed now and not taking cheap shots at Brexiteers.  The global economic crisis has been caused by the coronavirus which was created in China. I pray that after the coronavirus is under control that China is not let off the hook by the rest of the World for creating the coronavirus and that is not just for economic reasons.

And if I was a Brexiteer who supported Britain leaving the EU, I'd be even more embarrassed now and keeping my mouth shut.  Granted, most of them are nowhere to be found.  Isn't that right, Sir Nige' ?

Interesting you think the rest of the World should punish China after the coronavirus is under control.  When will that be?  Please tell us when?

If anything, the coronavirus has shown how vital China is to the global economy, and how important it is that nations and people must coexist to secure a safer future for the planet and all mankind.

10 hours ago, West 77 said:

A free trade deal should be easier to achieve now because the EU countries will need the British export market more than ever to start recovering from the economic crisis caused by the coronavirus. Countries like Italy who want the EU to share debt are desperate not to lose existing trade with Britain. When all the British pubs and restaurants are open next year the Italians will be relying more than ever on the revenue from the 110 million bottles of Prosecco they sell us each year. The same applies to all EU businesses that export to Britain.

This is even dafter than your previous comment about China.

Europe's population = 741 million

Britain's population = 67 million

Europe's population minus Britain's population equals 674 million.

So there's ten times more people in the rest of the Europe, than in Britain alone.

In other words, the European market without Britain is still ten times bigger than us.

It's wishful thinking that the remaining members of the EU will prioritise Britain over the rest of Europe, but that's Brexit entire economic policy in a nutshell.

11 hours ago, West 77 said:

Brexiteers have never needed to be let off the hook for staying firm and ensuring Britain left the EU. The negative global economic impact of the coronavirus does pale into insignificance any temporary economic downfall which might or might not  happen to the British economy because of Brexit. If I was  a remain voter who had complained about the referendum result I would be feeling really embarrassed now and not taking cheap shots at Brexiteers.  The global economic crisis has been caused by the coronavirus which was created in China. I pray that after the coronavirus is under control that China is not let off the hook by the rest of the World for creating the coronavirus and that is not just for economic reasons.

I do not regard insisting Brexiteers stick to their promises as a "cheap shot". They said, if you remember, "we buy more from the EU than they buy from us so they'll give us more or less everything we want", in fact we'll be able to give the NHS another £350 million a week. Or, to put it a different way, we will get a "a cake and eat it Brexit".

*  and, BTW, Turkey are jinging the EU

Let me remind you :

Leave-NHS-%C2%A3350-million-a-week-615W.

Turkey-is-joining-the-EU-500W.jpg

Edited by Justin Smith

51 minutes ago, West 77 said:

You're just recycling old news that has been argued to death about. The nation had a chance to stop Brexit on 12th December last year but decided to give the party that pledged to get Brexit done a big majority.  I don't need reminding of anything but you seem to need reminding that we have now officially left the EU.  As I previously stated the economic crisis brought about because of the coronavirus pales all the Brexit arguments into insignificance . I'm looking forward to better days next year when the transitional period will be over with new trading arrangements agreed and more importantly when our nation will be back to near normal as it can ever be again after the coronavirus is under control.

and we are under the thumb of the US :rolleyes:

2 minutes ago, West 77 said:

We are clearly not otherwise Huawei would be playing no part to supply the 5G network.  

We haven't got a US trade deal yet, that can all change

5 hours ago, West 77 said:

You're just recycling old news that has been argued to death about. The nation had a chance to stop Brexit on 12th December last year but decided to give the party that pledged to get Brexit done a big majority.  I don't need reminding of anything but you seem to need reminding that we have now officially left the EU.  As I previously stated the economic crisis brought about because of the coronavirus pales all the Brexit arguments into insignificance . I'm looking forward to better days next year when the transitional period will be over with new trading arrangements agreed and more importantly when our nation will be back to near normal as it can ever be again after the coronavirus is under control.

Errr, no. I'm reminding everyone how Leave (narrowly) won the referendum. It is not "old news", it is promises and predictions that voters will expect to come to pass.

And as for a big majority for "get Brexit done", pro Leave parties got a smaller percentage of the vote than pro Remain parties (or at least those committed to giving the country a chance to change its mind), and that was with the main opposition party being essentially unelectable anyway. So no, I don't accept your simplistic and biased interpretation of the GE result.

On 12/04/2020 at 11:27, melthebell said:

and we are under the thumb of the US :rolleyes:

Europe and Britain have been under the thumb of the US ever since the "European recovery plan" or "Marshall plan" after WW2. 

23 hours ago, Justin Smith said:

Errr, no. I'm reminding everyone how Leave (narrowly) won the referendum. It is not "old news", it is promises and predictions that voters will expect to come to pass.

And as for a big majority for "get Brexit done", pro Leave parties got a smaller percentage of the vote than pro Remain parties (or at least those committed to giving the country a chance to change its mind), and that was with the main opposition party being essentially unelectable anyway. So no, I don't accept your simplistic and biased interpretation of the GE result.

So you're finally acknowledging that Leave did win then?   

It reminds me of one of the daily COVID-19 briefings last week, when a journalist was quizzing the Chancellor about delaying Brexit negotiations, when he asked the Chancellor a question along the lines of, (& paraphrasing here), "Do you believe because of the current COVID-19 issues that the UK should delay leaving the EU?" 

Chancellor's reply, "No & the UK left the EU on 31st January." Priceless. 

Edited by Baron99

It’s a funny old world.
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/apr/15/romanian-fruit-pickers-flown-uk-crisis-farming-sector-coronavirus?CMP=Share_iOSApp_Other

Saying that it’s not funny.  It's normal and has been for many years for Foreign born workers to come into this country and prop up the farming industry. Backbreaking work for low pay in poor conditions which or population doesn't want to do.

Edited by Mister Gee

51 minutes ago, Mister Gee said:

It’s a funny old world.
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/apr/15/romanian-fruit-pickers-flown-uk-crisis-farming-sector-coronavirus?CMP=Share_iOSApp_Other

Saying that it’s not funny.  It's normal and has been for many years for Foreign born workers to come into this country and prop up the farming industry. Backbreaking work for low pay in poor conditions which or population doesn't want to do.

Funny, I thought all the Brexiteers were champing at the bit to get the jobs "wot them foreeners took of us"