Consequences Of Brexit [Part 9] Read First Post Before Posting

9 hours ago, RJRB said:

This latest crisis highlights the need for international cooperation and unhindered trade.

Brexit may yet be the subject of a further referendum.

No it won’t it’s a done deal and yes you say international cooperation and unhindered trade let’s see who will try to scupper that 😁

1 hour ago, West 77 said:

The current crisis highlights the need for borders between different countries which may lead to the remaining EU members changing the Schengen agreement.

Unlikely... tourism accounts for significantly more movement than those using FoM.

To put it into context (I appreciate the UK isn't in Shengen but), over 3m people come to the UK as tourists *each month*, orders of magnitude higher than those who travelled under FoM over the entire year!

FoM/Schengen is a red herring, changing it would have made no difference in the current situation (IMHO), borders always have been closable if the need arises.

Edited by Magilla

2 hours ago, West 77 said:

There is no justification for another referendum. The UK has formerly left the EU. It would be understandable if the transition period is extended because of the current global crisis.  The current crisis highlights the need for borders between different countries which may lead to the remaining EU members changing the Schengen agreement.

Read the news.

There are now numerous borders within countries never mind between countries.

Unhindered trade,and sharing of resources and knowledge are of greater importance both now and in the future than ever.

13 hours ago, RJRB said:

This latest crisis highlights the need for international cooperation and unhindered trade.

Brexit may yet be the subject of a further referendum.

You remind me of that guy, Sisyphus. 

You keep your faith, rolling that heavy boulder with the words, "2nd referendum" written on the side, up the steep hill, only to watch it roll back down again, so you can start it all over again. 

Oh the futility of the 2nd referendum, I'll not say brigade, these days, more of a small social club. 

Let us all know when you get fed up with it all & then you're welcome to join up with the rest of us who have moved on. 

I really do not care if you accept it or not,but the deadlines stated by Johnson were always optimistic and backed by the implicit threat that the U.K. would walk away with a No Deal,just to keep the rampant Eurosceptics onside.

It is generally accepted that this would cause short to medium term disruptions in the movement of goods.

The whole of the European economy has been knocked sideways and some countries will emerge in front of others in the race for face masks,ventilators,test kits,immunisation possibilities,food production and all the other day to day requirements.

To restrict our ability to continue uninterrupted trade with our neighbours would be the height of stupidity.

If you wish to quote the classics then enjoy your Pyrrhic victory.

1 hour ago, RJRB said:

I really do not care if you accept it or not,but the deadlines stated by Johnson were always optimistic and backed by the implicit threat that the U.K. would walk away with a No Deal,just to keep the rampant Eurosceptics onside.

It is generally accepted that this would cause short to medium term disruptions in the movement of goods.

The whole of the European economy has been knocked sideways and some countries will emerge in front of others in the race for face masks,ventilators,test kits,immunisation possibilities,food production and all the other day to day requirements.

To restrict our ability to continue uninterrupted trade with our neighbours would be the height of stupidity.

If you wish to quote the classics then enjoy your Pyrrhic victory.

Whilst on the subject of economy,

"Brexit 'saves UK' from colossal EU bailout bill amid fears Brussels will run out of money2

https://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/1258385/Brexit-Coronavirus-COVID-19-European-Union-Brussels-Ursula-von-der-Leyen-Boris

https://infacts.org/peter-oborne-has-turned-against-brexit-others-should-follow/

The man has more sense and humility than some.

And this was before the current crises.

24 minutes ago, retep said:

"Brexit 'saves UK' from colossal EU bailout bill amid fears Brussels will run out of money2

https://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/1258385/Brexit-Coronavirus-COVID-19-European-Union-Brussels-Ursula-von-der-Leyen-Boris

As you may have noticed the current pandemic and consequent impact on finance and commerce does not respect geographical boundaries so to pool resources seems eminently responsible to me.

Edited by RJRB

21 hours ago, West 77 said:

It will be understandable if the transitional period is extended beyond 31st December.  However, there is no justification not to complete the whole Brexit process after things have started to return to normal.

Well, that's likely to be long after the majority of us have shuffled off this mortal coil.

59 minutes ago, West 77 said:

I define a start to return to normal as when the high streets are fully open again and non essential businesses such as pubs are trading again. If that time is June then the latest the transitional period should end is June 2021 in my opinion. 

A return to any sort of normal function will vary from country to country and when we say that we are all in this together we are talking about the world.

I really don’t care about the principles of Brexit now.

What I do care about is that world trade should operate with the minimum of friction and that cooperation within manufacturing and scientific communities is an imperative.

On 22/03/2020 at 16:34, retep said:

Are you out of your bloody mind?

Do you think the economic measures by the government are free?  Also, our measures will plunge us into greater debt than what the EU are proposing.

52 minutes ago, Albert the Cat said:

Are you out of your bloody mind?

Do you think the economic measures by the government are free?  Also, our measures will plunge us into greater debt than what the EU are proposing.

Reading in the 'i' newspaper yesterday that countries such as Italy & Spain who have been hit hardest by COVID-19 & already having fragile economies, are looking for a strong financial response that deploys "Financial instruments adapted to a war."  In other words, financial help & shared financial responsibility between their EU partners. 

Guess what?  The likes of Germany & Holland are saying 'No' as they fear that it could lead to eurozone members pooling public debt.  

In other words Italy & Spain, the COVID-19 in your countries are your problem, if your economies go into further freefall because of it, tough, we're not bailing you out. 

Edited by Baron99