Consequences Of Brexit [Part 9] Read First Post Before Posting

1 minute ago, Robin-H said:

No 2. So what was published today? 

it has? oh it hadnt this morning when i was reading about what i wrote

11 minutes ago, Robin-H said:

No 2. So what was published today? 

The usual load of bobbar then?

Guess who are the most likely to suffer economically from a no deal Brexit?

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/boris-johnson-brexit-news-trade-deal-midlands-north-brussels-a9360971.html

Small towns in the Midlands and North are among the areas likely to suffer most from the bare-bones trade deal Boris Johnson is seeking with Brussels, according to a respected economic thinktank.

The areas cover many of the so-called “red wall” seats – like Bolsover, Workington, Bassetlaw, Bishop Auckland and Blyth Valley – which gave the prime minister an election landslide in December by switching from Labour to Conservatives for the first time in decades on the back of his promise to “get Brexit done”.

Guess who will get blamed?

EU,   immigrants etc

Gove, the chinless wonder, and Boris the absent lying cheating sexist racists buffoon have really cocked up this time - they promised the world before the election and are now u-turning on their promises to us, the electorate, the EU and the world.

This will spell disaster for the UK in terms of world trade, the economy and our future generations.

All thanks to the gullible beleavers who supported their promises of unicorns and fairy dust.

Thanks for ruining the world of our children.

CarBoot - your Stalinist utopia is becoming more of a reality every day!

Edited by Litotes

18 minutes ago, Litotes said:

Gove, the chinless wonder, and Boris the absent lying cheating sexist racists buffoon have really cocked up this time - they promised the world before the election and are now u-turning on their promises to us, the electorate, the EU and the world.

This will spell disaster for the UK in terms of world trade, the economy and our future generations.

All thanks to the gullible beleavers who supported their promises of unicorns and fairy dust.

Thanks for ruining the world of our children.

CarBoot - your Stalinist utopia is becoming more of a reality every day!

Yes - but damnit man - once we're free of EU rules they'll be British unicorns and fairy dust.

20 hours ago, RJRB said:

There is no wonder that you fled the UK shortly after the Brexit vote as you seem to have a very low opinion of the British people.

Your sweeping generalisation that all and sundry are taken in by the machinations of Johnson and Cummings is laughable.

Thanks for stating the exceedingly obvious in your final paragraph but rest assured that there are many who recognise which way the wind is blowing.

We are in a phoney year of negotiations ,and thereafter the grim reality of job losses,lack of inward investment and a host of other detrimental aspects of Brexit will become apparent.

We will have to endure this regrettably.

Brexit was only ever a project of those who consider themselves to be the ruling class by right,but their mobilisation of others on the back of the immigration “crisis “ got them over the line.

Johnson will have his coupleof years of glory before his popularity wanes,and I doubt that Cummings will be on the scene for that long.

Our departure from the UK had nothing to do with my "opinion of the British people".

Only with my opinion of where 'Brexit' would end, along with milestones at various stages, insofar as I was concerned professionally, and as we were concerned as a multinational family.

An opinion which has since been amply vindicated, many-fold.

I had been waiting to see "the British people" and centrist politicians come to the defence of the 5 million. That never came, instead the unchallenged normalisation of othering immigrants, in UK discourse, policies and negotiation stances, yielded ever more xenophobic incidents the length and breadth of the country by those easily led, whilst most others just looked the other way with "ah, we don't mean you, you'll be alright" shrug, a tacit acceptance through passive disinterest which continues to this day (all the more so giventhat the Brexit saturation point seems long past in the public mind).

To say nothing of the economics case, which doesn't seem to have ever registered in the collective mind in 4 years, sufficiently so to warrant getting your government to negotiate Brexit in good faith. 4 years on, and we're back to German car manufacturers, the 'intransigeant EU' and cakeism. Where is your collective outrage at being sold for tuppence to the carpetbaggers by Johnson and the Leave tenors on orders of their neocon backers?

As for my "sweeping generalisation", it is informed by your continuing collective subservience to what the Conservatives and the 'opposition' have been doing to your country since the 2016 referendum, never better epitomised -yet- than with Johnson's gaining his 80 seats majority a couple of months ago.

"Let battle commence", you then said of the government's own negotiating mandate. And you would be handing out lessons in humility?

The only battle is already long on, and still only inside the UK. Now that the UK is not an EU member state anymore, the EU27 don't have to engage in any 'battling' whatsoever: the UK, as an independent and sovereign third party country, of significantly smaller economic status relative to the EU27, can either sign on the dotted line tendered by the EU, or not: the choice is fully that of the UK.

Edited by L00b

10 minutes ago, L00b said:

As for my "sweeping generalisation", it is informed by your continuing collective subservience to what the Conservatives and the 'opposition' have been doing to your country since the 2016 referendum, never better epitomised -yet- than with Johnson's gaining his 80 seats majority a couple of months ago.

"Let battle commence", you then said of the government's own negotiating mandate. And you would be handing out lessons in humility?

Your sweeping generalisation continues with your reference to “our collective subservience “ which is as patently untrue as any suggestion that all the British population is happy or deserving of the Brexit result.

It is obviously difficult to convey heavy irony in the written word,but rest assured that my “let battle commence” tag was not meant convey anything other than this sentiment .I hope it is no more than sabre rattling ,but I do fear that Gove’s stance represents Johnson and Cummings march towards a damaging conclusion.

23 minutes ago, RJRB said:

Your sweeping generalisation continues with your reference to “our collective subservience “ which is as patently untrue as any suggestion that all the British population is happy or deserving of the Brexit result.

Bit in bold: don't put words in my posts, please. I haven't in yours. I've always kept the 48% close to mind, and am only too aware of the UKinEU plight, thrown under the Brexit bus as they have consistently been since 2015.

"You collective subservience" is a witnessing of fact. Perhaps you missed my question immediately above that paragraph, I did insert it as edit.

Johnson is your PM after a GE only 2 months ago, with an 80 seat majority gained from the opposition, which has been singularly and consistently ineffective for years now. Even though Johnson lied when he led Vote Leave in 2016, lied whilst he was hurling from the ditch as a backbencher, lied whilst he was Foreign Secretary. And now, manifestly, lied in the GE campaign about his negotiating intentions and to the EU27 when he signed the WA & PD.

It doesn't matter whether he got in with only 29% of the vote (or population, or whatever) because of the FPTP system, it doesn't matter if 3 out of 4 Britons want to keep things with the EU as they are -then or now-, it doesn't matter if 9 out of 10 Britons don't want to see human rights, labour and environmental regulations scaled down (survey yesterday)...he's in charge, and for the next 5 years until and unless a GE gets appointed (can't see how, under your Fixed Term Parliament legislation and the Commons' arithmetic). So his hard/no deal Brexit is what you're getting.

What are you, collectively, going to do about it, over the next 4 months? If that's as much as you, collectively, managed over the past 4 years, then yes, that's subservience, in anyone's book. 

Edited by L00b

Unfortunately when you lose a vote in a democracy,then you have to live with the result until the next opportunity to vote.This applies to both Brexit and the GE.

We can rant and rave or take to the streets but nothing can be done,other than to challenge every broken promise and excuse that we are about to witness.

The wheel keeps turning as history shows withChurchill,Thatcher,Blair,Cameron,and for reasons that an only be explained in retrospect.

Ou best hope at the moment is that sanity returns and Johnson /Cummings are ousted by their own moderate colleagues.

Every Democratic country has the same problems and the comparatively recent rise in right wing populism should be a concern to  all wherever we live.

Edited by RJRB