Consequences Of Brexit [Part 9] Read First Post Before Posting

5 hours ago, Mister Gee said:

Did you see the woman on Question Time last night mel? They’ve got their Brexit and the end of freedom of movement but they’re still very unhappy. There really is no appeasing some of these people and I worry where it’s heading.

This one i presume?

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/media/tv-radio/bbc-question-time-racist-video-immigration-ash-sarkar-twitter-a9349316.html

2 minutes ago, RJRB said:

Trotting out the usual uninformed and ignorant trash that Farage stoked up and fed upon.

Hordes of immigrants invading us

The personal comments end now.

Please try to stay at least vaguely on topic.

Edited by nikki-red

32 minutes ago, Mister Gee said:

That’s the one. At least her rant didn't attract the usual hysterical bout of applause from the audience.

thing is it says with questioning? surely theres a panel? its question time, surely somebody didnt rebutt her claims?

She asked a question and stated her anti-immigration opinion. The question was completely valid and she's entitled to have her opinion without being called a racist.

2 hours ago, Branyy said:

She asked a question and stated her anti-immigration opinion. The question was completely valid and she's entitled to have her opinion without being called a racist.

No, she's not. Really she is not entitled to it.

I'm sick to death of the trope that "oh thatss my opinion and I'm entitled to it and you are being unreasonable for saying it's wrong so jog on" It's a cowards way out from people who are not willing, who are not able, or who know their argument is indefensible. It's used to shut down debate and it's entirely utterly wrong.

Things like what your favourite colour is, or if you prefer ska over blues, or whats the best place to go on holiday - those are opinions. Everyone has one and it's theirs and that's fine because these things are not amenable to qualification - if you like wearing blue with green polka dots that's your opinion and mine that you look like a hippie is fine to have as well.

When you get to matters of science and public policy, though it changes. I have opinions on nuclear power. They are backed up by science. I can prove my position. If you decide, especially without scientific training to go against those opinions and spout ill founded alarmist rubbish I'll call you out. If your opinion is that everyone in Chernobyl died and it's dangerously radioactive that opinion is wrong. I've been there. I can prove otherwise. That means you do not get to have your opinion are wrap it up in "it's mine and you are mean to say I'm not allowed to hold it." Your opinion is wrong.

If you decide that your opinion on vaccination is different to medically trained professionals which 150+ years of experimental science to back them up your opinion is wrong. You can have an opinion on the public debate about how to vaccinate. But you do not get to claim vaccines are wrong or harmful. That is your opinion and your opinion is wrong and indefensible, so go get a new one.

Now she stated her opinion. Thats fine. She can have it. But her opinion is racist. IT will get called out. And wrapping it up as she is entitled to her opinion (and so stop being mean to her) doesn't fly.

She exhibits racist opinions.

She's a racist.

You are defending her. You are defending a racist. Do you really want to be doing that?

8 hours ago, Obelix said:

No, she's not. Really she is not entitled to it.

I'm sick to death of the trope that "oh thatss my opinion and I'm entitled to it and you are being unreasonable for saying it's wrong so jog on" It's a cowards way out from people who are not willing, who are not able, or who know their argument is indefensible. It's used to shut down debate and it's entirely utterly wrong.

Things like what your favourite colour is, or if you prefer ska over blues, or whats the best place to go on holiday - those are opinions. Everyone has one and it's theirs and that's fine because these things are not amenable to qualification - if you like wearing blue with green polka dots that's your opinion and mine that you look like a hippie is fine to have as well.

When you get to matters of science and public policy, though it changes. I have opinions on nuclear power. They are backed up by science. I can prove my position. If you decide, especially without scientific training to go against those opinions and spout ill founded alarmist rubbish I'll call you out. If your opinion is that everyone in Chernobyl died and it's dangerously radioactive that opinion is wrong. I've been there. I can prove otherwise. That means you do not get to have your opinion are wrap it up in "it's mine and you are mean to say I'm not allowed to hold it." Your opinion is wrong.

If you decide that your opinion on vaccination is different to medically trained professionals which 150+ years of experimental science to back them up your opinion is wrong. You can have an opinion on the public debate about how to vaccinate. But you do not get to claim vaccines are wrong or harmful. That is your opinion and your opinion is wrong and indefensible, so go get a new one.

Now she stated her opinion. Thats fine. She can have it. But her opinion is racist. IT will get called out. And wrapping it up as she is entitled to her opinion (and so stop being mean to her) doesn't fly.

She exhibits racist opinions.

She's a racist.

You are defending her. You are defending a racist. Do you really want to be doing that?

Excellent post.

36 minutes ago, West 77 said:

The new British blue passports are going to start to be issued next month.  

They will be made by a Franco/Dutch company at a factory in Poland, under EU procurement rules.

I preferred the burgundy coloured ones that gave people the unrestricted freedom to work, study, travel and live in 27 countries rather than a blue one that limits you to restricted access to these countries.

Edited by Mister Gee

31 minutes ago, Mister Gee said:

They will be made by a Franco/Dutch company at a factory in Poland, under EU procurement rules.

I preferred the burgundy coloured ones that gave people the unrestricted freedom to work, study, travel and live in 27 countries rather than a blue one that limits you to restricted access to these countries.

I used my burgundy one at Calais yesterday.  If that was a sign of things to come, we should all be worried.

Took almost an hour to get me and my car through passport control, including having the boot searched at gunpoint (well, the soldier was carrying a gun). Fortunately he approved of my boot full of wine and cheese.

Chaos on the border in February, whist we are still in the transition period. It doesn’t bode well.

3 hours ago, Mister Gee said:

200 laid off in Gateshead as a result I understand.