Consequences Of Brexit [Part 9] Read First Post Before Posting

3 minutes ago, melthebell said:

Yup, is it morally right that you need to claim a benefit when in work because firms pay so little? They make a big thing about getting people off benefits and into work.

i presume wages will rise when all the low wage immigrants have been stopped?

Minimum wage in this country (or National Living Wage, whatever it's called now) is £8.21/hr for over 25s (set to rise to £8.72 in April).

Someone working full time on minimum wages has an annual salary of about £16,000 a year. 

Now, for some people, that might be an adequate salary to live on. For others, that might not be near enough (if they have children, live in a more expensive area etc etc). That is why the Government has things like child benefit, tax credits etc etc. Also, not everyone works full time. 

If you want employers to pay a salary high enough so that no-one has to claim benefits while working, you would have to make employers pay a salary high enough to cover all circumstances, even part-time work. That's why I asked if you had a figure in mind.  

54 minutes ago, Robin-H said:

Minimum wage in this country (or National Living Wage, whatever it's called now) is £8.21/hr for over 25s (set to rise to £8.72 in April).

Someone working full time on minimum wages has an annual salary of about £16,000 a year. 

Now, for some people, that might be an adequate salary to live on. For others, that might not be near enough (if they have children, live in a more expensive area etc etc). That is why the Government has things like child benefit, tax credits etc etc. Also, not everyone works full time. 

If you want employers to pay a salary high enough so that no-one has to claim benefits while working, you would have to make employers pay a salary high enough to cover all circumstances, even part-time work. That's why I asked if you had a figure in mind.  

Bit beyond my pay grade.

4 hours ago, taxman said:

No more Polish plumbers or people who can't speak the Queen's English under new Govt proposals.

Looks like the plucky Brits will finally be able to fill all those meat packing jobs and jobs wiping the bottoms of people in care homes that they have wanted so much for so long.

At some point there must be some acknowledgement that we need willing hands and skills just as much as high fliers If our economy is to prosper and our services to be maintained or improved.

This points based system will do nothing to appease the vocal opponents of immigrants,and will severely affect care service ,hospitality,farming ,construction etc. to the detriment of our country.

56 minutes ago, RJRB said:

At some point there must be some acknowledgement that we need willing hands and skills just as much as high fliers If our economy is to prosper and our services to be maintained or improved.

This points based system will do nothing to appease the vocal opponents of immigrants,and will severely affect care service ,hospitality,farming ,construction etc. to the detriment of our country.

Well, under this policy you're not having the willing hands and 'low' skills anymore, so better get with the program quick. 

Which is good, firstly because it will pacify all those well-intentioned voters, who are so worried about the UK hoovering up manpower from the EU27 and depriving member states from their human economic resources.

And secondly, because the 8m inactive Brits can step up and fill the jobs, according to your Home Secretary. Notwithstanding the current situation of full (or near-full) employment in the UK, paradoxically enough.

Of course, any commonality between the above well-intentioned voters and this 8m group will be purely coincidental :D

Edited by L00b

4 hours ago, West 77 said:

If that point exists in the future then it will be the responsibility of the elected British Government to change the criteria to make it easier for low skilled overseas workers to fill vacancies.

If THIS government intends to build hospitals,preserve the NHS,tackle social care,build all the houses that are needed,then I think that it is THIS current government that will need to radically rethink this immigration policy.

However I fear that Pritti will take the hard line to appeal to the Faragistas and the rest of their policies will suffer accordingly.

Edited by RJRB

15 minutes ago, West 77 said:

The current Government were given a mandate to rule Britain for the next 5 years as a consequence of winning a 80 majority in the December 2019 General Election. I'm guessing the next General Election will take place in May / June 2024 then both you and I will have  an opportunity to choose an alternative Government if we believe the current Government has done a bad job in ruling Britain.

well done for sidestepping his point, what happens if THIS government needs to staff the likes of care homes, the NHS etc NOW, we cant just magically make 200.000 or whatever english people trained to take over instantly.

Never mind what we can do in 4 years, its now that matters, would you be happy if your mother couldnt get the care she needed cos there was a lack of staff?

Edited by melthebell

31 minutes ago, West 77 said:

The current Government were given a mandate to rule Britain for the next 5 years as a consequence of winning a 80 majority in the December 2019 General Election. I'm guessing the next General Election will take place in May / June 2024 then both you and I will have  an opportunity to choose an alternative Government if we believe the current Government has done a bad job in ruling Britain.

I accept all of the above but it has nothing to do with the point that I was making.

This government has 5 years to make good at least some of their electioneering promises.

These included building houses,hospitals,improving and safeguarding the NHS,and addressing the increasing problem of social care for those who need it,including the elderly.

Most of the above requires skills and labour which do not score highly in the points scheme.

That is why I think it is a policy designed to appeal to the Farage supporters.

By all means make a pitch for the doctors and scientists,but we need nurses and carers at least as much.

We need plumbers,electricians,brickies ,joiners as much as graduate engineers and architects.

All this needs initiating now and I hope that THIS government will be able to square the circle.

12 minutes ago, West 77 said:

I voted for the Conservative party in December 2019 because they were the only main party promising to get Brexit done. Thankfully Britain has now officially left the EU.  All you are doing is  pointless scaremongering,  I wish my Mother was still alive.  If I believe the Conservative party has done a bad job when 2024 arrives then if I believe there is a better alternative party to rule Britain then I will switch my vote. 

The first part of Brexit is concluded and the Conservative Government is in place for the foreseeable future.No argument there.

All I am saying is that they have made their promises ,and I do not think this intended policy sits well with what matters to most of the population.

The majority of immigration to the UK has been from outside the EU,and this has always been within the control of the ruling government.

23 minutes ago, West 77 said:

I voted for the Conservative party in December 2019 because they were the only main party promising to get Brexit done. Thankfully Britain has now officially left the EU.  All you are doing is  pointless scaremongering,  I wish my Mother was still alive.  If I believe the Conservative party has done a bad job when 2024 arrives then if I believe there is a better alternative party to rule Britain then I will switch my vote. 

well done for sidestepping the point....again :rolleyes:

13 hours ago, taxman said:

No more Polish plumbers or people who can't speak the Queen's English under new Govt proposals.

Looks like the plucky Brits will finally be able to fill all those meat packing jobs and jobs wiping the bottoms of people in care homes that they have wanted so much for so long.

I'm sure that at this very minute someone is organising a march of unemployed brexit voting Geordies down to London to work in all those restaurants and hotels.

2 hours ago, West 77 said:

In the meantime, that’s five years of dignity for those in care homes placed at risk.

The only saving grace being that Brexit voters came overwhelmingly from the over 50s, so some of them will struggle to get their arses wiped.

I feel very sad for the rest 

3 hours ago, RJRB said:

If THIS government intends to build hospitals,preserve the NHS,tackle social care,build all the houses that are needed,then I think that it is THIS current government that will need to radically rethink this immigration policy.

However I fear that Pritti will take the hard line to appeal to the Faragistas and the rest of their policies will suffer accordingly.

A lot of unemployment is down to the jobs being in areas nowhere near areas of high unemployment. It doesn't matter how much you train people if they can't / won't move to where jobs are.