Londoners Moving North, Including To Sheffield

Not sure about them moving here but they are definitely coming up in investor groups.  I have viewed several properties with a view to helping my son onto the property ladder over the last few months and at several viewings there have been 2 or 3 small groups of southerners with lists of up to 20 properties they are viewing during the course of the day.  They have also had a builder type person with them who I guess is advising them of how much would need spending on each property to make it suitable for rental purposes. 

17 minutes ago, mrsb73 said:

Not sure about them moving here but they are definitely coming up in investor groups.  I have viewed several properties with a view to helping my son onto the property ladder over the last few months and at several viewings there have been 2 or 3 small groups of southerners with lists of up to 20 properties they are viewing during the course of the day.  They have also had a builder type person with them who I guess is advising them of how much would need spending on each property to make it suitable for rental purposes. 

I'd say some sort of investor too..!

But all the houses are laying empty.

Especially in S6..(Walkley).

Someone IS buying the properties,..They always sell....But they can't seem to get someone to rent?

Old Houses with High Ceilings...Cost a fortune to keep warm.... That's my best guess...!

I agree Finbak, a company appears to have bought several in wincobank, done a full renovation and them tried to let out at approx £100pcm over market value, all still empty!

10 minutes ago, mrsb73 said:

I agree Finbak, a company appears to have bought several in wincobank, done a full renovation and them tried to let out at approx £100pcm over market value, all still empty!

No wonder they're empty if they're trying to let them out at £100pcm over market value. 

My friend's son goes to a very well regarded school in south-west Sheffield and many (perhaps most) of the parents are from down south. They all seem to speak highly of Sheffield but only engage with about 20% of it. They seem unaware of anything outside of the south-west bubble (Fulwood, Milhouses, Crosspool, Dore, etc).

3 hours ago, mrsb73 said:

I saw this about 10 years ago. I was attempting to rent a modest place in Walkley from Blundells and there was some shaven headed spiv and a brick outhouse bodyguard in there at the same time basically buying every available property in Sheffield. I'm not sure when the anti money laundering rules came in but he definitely had more than £5k cash in his briefcase.

49 minutes ago, taxman said:

I saw this about 10 years ago. I was attempting to rent a modest place in Walkley from Blundells and there was some shaven headed spiv and a brick outhouse bodyguard in there at the same time basically buying every available property in Sheffield. I'm not sure when the anti money laundering rules came in but he definitely had more than £5k cash in his briefcase.

That's bonkers! I felt a bit disheartened when I saw them all there because its forcing local people out of the market and making it even harder for youngsters to buy a starter home near to family and friends but I guess that's not a new thing if you're from the south.

On 14/02/2020 at 18:46, Robin-H said:

Seems like Sheffield is head and shoulders above the rest too according to that article... 

Sheffield had a 12% rise in Londoners moving to buy or rent in 2018, followed by Newcastle and Leeds, which both recorded 5% increases.

It's just nearer to London than the other two, that's why.  😃

On 14/02/2020 at 21:52, 26b-6 said:

I'm a Londoner who has 'sorta' settled in Sheffield.   I miss the vibrancy of my home city, it's markets and diversity.   Whilst folk here have been fine with me I've found Sheffield folk very resentful towards foreigners which is obviously holding the city back.  However my daughter is settled in school and the rugged landscape of the surrounding peak district is such a fantastic asset.

I can understand why you miss the markets and diversity of London.  There's no city quite like it anywhere in the world.  I love to visit, but have never had the desire to live there (although I've lived within commuting distance on many occasions).  I'm surprised to hear you say that you've found Sheffield folk very resentful towards foreigners.  But then again I'm not a foreigner, so I wouldn't know.  I can confirm though that if you don't speak in a broad local accent and if you live in a better part of the city or drive a nice car, it will upset some locals.  Some (not all) feel very threatened by anyone or anything that they perceive to be "posh".

I was born and raised in this area but have lived and worked all around the UK and various places abroad.  We came back to Sheffield almost 25 years ago and are glad we did.

For the past 25 years most of my work has been in the south of England, but I'm pleased to say I've been doing it the other way for years!   I've been self-employed for the past 10 years, but even when I was employed, in jobs based in head offices in southern England, I still managed, somehow, to keep my home here and get one or two days a week working from home.  So I didn't choose to relocate (again)!  

I think we've got a nice balance living here near Sheffield.  The city itself is not so great when it comes to shopping and eating out, but that's o.k., it's not going to change so we have to be prepared to find alternatives if we want that - and Manchester, in particular, and Leeds have much more choice and are within easy commuting distance.  But the proximity to open countryside and the quality of life here is very good.  I also like the openness and friendliness of Sheffield folks.  I do find them rather inward-looking and parochial, but also very down to earth and friendly, if somewhat blunt! 😃

These Londoners who are moving North to live here - I don't blame them one bit.  I just hope they'll make an effort to smile and say hello - and not react like someone is trying to take their soul by speaking to them!  For any Londoners reading this...you don't have to know somebody to smile, say hello, maybe even break into a few sentences of conversation with them, try it, you might like it?

I hope also they'll realise that Sheffield is a second rate city when it comes to attracting commerce.  That's why Channel 4 chose Leeds instead.  That's why  the HS2 won't be stopping here.  That's why the main shopping street in the city centre, Fargate, is full of phone shops, nail bars and cheaptac charity stuff.  But, if that doesn't bother them, then they'll find a lot to like about the city, it's people (perhaps) and it's countryside.

On 15/02/2020 at 09:18, Baron99 said:

And yet you've decided to 'sorta' make your home & raise your child in a non-vibrant, non-diverse, (never ventured to the Abbeydale / London Rd; Burngreave; Darnall areas then?), backwards, insular city? 

You state; "I've found Sheffield folk very resentful towards foreigners." No doubt some are, same as many true "Londoners", when I've been down in your home town, yet Sheffield has become home to many large populations of ethnic minorities & has a booming foreign student population. 

I think you'll find that while some folk in Sheffield will be resentful, (for their own reasons), of foreigners, they're will be a lot more Sheffielders, even more resentful & belligerent towards those of the indigenous population who chose to 'sorta' make their home in the city & then start to moan & groan about it & it's home grown residents. 

I see you like the Peak District?  Maybe Derbyshire would suit you better? 

Long story short I first came to Sheff in mid 90's to a dodgy tower-block Norfolk Park to flog some pirate radio equipment.  I find it unusual but didn't hear any openly racist xenophobic anti-Islamic views. Fast Fwd to 2009 and we first settled Parson Cross.  We was truly shocked how openly bitter, resentful and nasty folk was towards to migrants.  Despite these folk been the most reliant on migrants for their everyday survival. 

I'm more suited to Sheffield because of my hobbies such as rabbiting and fishing which I partake in and around ex-mining villagers.    All the folk I've had conversations with really hate Muslims and foreigners. Obviously it could be argued the recent election results reflect this.

I don't understand why living in a city = you must not comment or reveal your observations about the place, and 'go back' to where you came from?

19 hours ago, DerbyTup said:

I can understand why you miss the markets and diversity of London.  There's no city quite like it anywhere in the world.  I love to visit, but have never had the desire to live there (although I've lived within commuting distance on many occasions).  I'm surprised to hear you say that you've found Sheffield folk very resentful towards foreigners.  But then again I'm not a foreigner, so I wouldn't know.  I can confirm though that if you don't speak in a broad local accent and if you live in a better part of the city or drive a nice car, it will upset some locals.  Some (not all) feel very threatened by anyone or anything that they perceive to be "posh".

I'm ginger so could be a ethnic? I was raised on the notorious Broadwater Farm estate. (Predominantly Afro-Carribean)  Same kind of resentments was commonplace there but more towards Police and authority.