Londoners Moving North, Including To Sheffield

I’m born and bred in S2, left Sheffield at 18 and have spent 20 years in London, I brought my young family back home nearly 2 years ago. I now live in S10. 

There’s a lot to like about Sheffield and it’s a better place than I left in the mid 90’s without a doubt in my mind. We haven’t looked back after the move, and My South African wife loves it here. 

People are definitely more outwardly warm and friendly here, but also more closed minded and a more xenophobic (as a big generalisation). 

I loved london and and my experience is that as you scratch below the surface, people are just as friendly. 

I found huge differences in the people in different areas of London. I never spoke to my neighbours in Richmond, but in South East London, we’d have regular street parties. 

On 01/04/2020 at 17:01, sedith said:

'Quote from post above  ...  my experience I have found visiting Southerners at bus stops won't smile or pass the time of day with you because they think you are going to knife them, or are a nutter. (Because of the experience they have of the atmosphere in London and the South) 

Unbelievable nonsense. I live in the south and people are forthcoming if in social situations. You really have to get over this xenophobic attitude. If you hate us so much why is the west country thronged with northern people throughout the summer, just stay away if you feel that way. Get off to

Not unbelievable nonsense....I have lived with southerners not wanting to strike up a conversation with strangers at bus stops on Ecclesall Road at the beginning of student academic years for 35 odd years when I used to bus it into the office instead of using my car.  It is fact.  Not in "social situations'' as you put it, but with complete strangers, read my post again. Plus I'm mainly referring to the parts of the south where it is dangerous and just not done to speak to strangers.  It takes them a few months to get used to the friendliness of the Yorkshire people, who are friendly to obviously uptight visitors in bus queues who don't smile back when smiled at, but look away. I used to make it my mission to get them talking. So difficult, and always southerners. Standing  beside the same person every day looking at you suspiciously because you dared to smile at them and pass a comment on the weather. It's simply rude.    A couple of months after start of term they always began to smile back and eventually talk. If you can't be bothered to read and interpret a post correctly, don't act like an uptight southerner by insults. West country is WEST not London and the south as I highlighted.  West country folk are great, they are quite friendly in my experience. Plus I wouldn't dream of going to Cleethorpes, Skegness, Bridlington etc  its Barbados for me all the way.

On 12/04/2020 at 03:16, Jeddo said:

Not unbelievable nonsense....I have lived with southerners not wanting to strike up a conversation with strangers at bus stops on Ecclesall Road at the beginning of student academic years for 35 odd years when I used to bus it into the office instead of using my car.  It is fact.  Not in "social situations'' as you put it, but with complete strangers, read my post again. Plus I'm mainly referring to the parts of the south where it is dangerous and just not done to speak to strangers.  It takes them a few months to get used to the friendliness of the Yorkshire people, who are friendly to obviously uptight visitors in bus queues who don't smile back when smiled at, but look away. I used to make it my mission to get them talking. So difficult, and always southerners. Standing  beside the same person every day looking at you suspiciously because you dared to smile at them and pass a comment on the weather. It's simply rude.    A couple of months after start of term they always began to smile back and eventually talk. If you can't be bothered to read and interpret a post correctly, don't act like an uptight southerner by insults. West country is WEST not London and the south as I highlighted.  West country folk are great, they are quite friendly in my experience. Plus I wouldn't dream of going to Cleethorpes, Skegness, Bridlington etc  its Barbados for me all the way.

Maybe you just come across as some northern loon. I've lived all over the country, the 'northerners being more friendly' thing is a myth. Some of the rudest people I've ever encountered have been northern pensioners.