Londoners Moving North, Including To Sheffield

6 hours ago, 26b-6 said:

I'm ginger so could be a ethnic? I was raised on the notorious Broadwater Farm estate. (Predominantly Afro-Carribean)  Same kind of resentments was commonplace there but more towards Police and authority.

If you're ginger you must be Scottish mate.  That's all it is.  Nothing to worry about.  You might find yourself having urges to dislike England and anything English though, just be wary of that.  

On 16/02/2020 at 17:54, OneSon said:

My friend's son goes to a very well regarded school in south-west Sheffield and many (perhaps most) of the parents are from down south. They all seem to speak highly of Sheffield but only engage with about 20% of it. They seem unaware of anything outside of the south-west bubble (Fulwood, Milhouses, Crosspool, Dore, etc).

Probably the same way lots of people who live in places like the Manor and Parson Cross are unaware of anything outside of the areas they live in too. Why do they need to?

On ‎16‎/‎02‎/‎2020 at 17:54, OneSon said:

My friend's son goes to a very well regarded school in south-west Sheffield and many (perhaps most) of the parents are from down south. They all seem to speak highly of Sheffield but only engage with about 20% of it. They seem unaware of anything outside of the south-west bubble (Fulwood, Milhouses, Crosspool, Dore, etc).

Quite right too.  There is now other part of Sheffield worth paying attention to.

I'll get my coat . . . . 

I think it's horses for courses in the different areas of Sheffield. The inhabitants all find their own level of racism, and 'Sheffieldness' (or not) depending on their various experiences throughout their lives in those areas and elsewhere, wherever they have lived in Sheffield or elsewhere. A modern stranger to Sheffield cannot possibly make one snap observation about true Sheffielders without having spent some time in each area.  Those of us who have lived in many areas of the city and outlying areas over (say) 65 years, and before mass immigration or migration from London (Manpower transfers etc) happened know that the areas all have different personalities. Those 'personalities' are moulded by immigration and differing cultures now.  The area 'personalities' are often similar along the contiguous borders of the various Sheffield wards, which is natural, and has been like that for centuries because of the lack of cars for instance in some poorer wards.  The neighbourlyness increases though as a result. Other areas have never experienced an area culture change by immigration, and live their lives oblivious of their indigenous Sheffield brothers and sisters living amongt it who are resentful.  Some people accuse the ones affected of racism, I don't, as I believe it is a human and animal right to be territorial. So if a  Londoner only spoke to them they would get the wrong impression of Sheffielders as a whole. In my experience I have found visiting Southerners at bus stops won't smile or pass the time of day with you because they think you are going to knife them, or are a nutter. (Because of the experience they have of the atmosphere in London and the South) They just don't get that Yorkshire people think it rude not to talk in that situation. If they stay around long enough they get to know we are naturally friendly folk in Sheffield, though we don't like folk taking our houses or changing our Yorkshire culture, wherever you come from.  Act like us, you can stay and welcome, or go home, basically. Don't try to change our city or us with your stranger's views and life experiences.  I think that sums up all those who are accused of racism in their own territory wherever that might be. There is no mystery at all about it. We are animals at the end of the day and are territorial. Not saying the Brits didn't do wrong invading other countries, because they did, which is why we're stuck with immigration now. So get over it.

"So if a  Londoner only spoke to them they would get the wrong impression of Sheffielders as a whole. In my experience I have found visiting Southerners at bus stops won't smile or pass the time of day with you because they think you are going to knife them, or are anutter. (Because of the experience they have of the atmosphere in London and the South) They just don't get that Yorkshire people think it rude not to talk in that situation"

What a load of tosh.

I often read folks on here saying what a friendly place Sheffield is, and how folks talk to each other at bus stops, etc.

In my experience ( 60 years of living there) it doesn't happen.

I'd go as far as to say making eye contact rarely happened Unless you Knew that person.

5 hours ago, Allen said:

What a load of tosh.

I often read folks on here saying what a friendly place Sheffield is, and how folks talk to each other at bus stops, etc.

In my experience ( 60 years of living there) it doesn't happen.

I'd go as far as to say making eye contact rarely happened Unless you Knew that person.

Well in my 40 odd years of experience it does happen. Not all the time or even most of the time but I've certainly got into conversations with strangers at bus stops or had a laugh or a moan with a group of people waiting for a bus that's late. Even got onto almost neighbourly terms with some people if I've seen them frequently enough, like an old geezer who'd catch the bus to the footy at the same time as my brother and I with who we enjoyed having a natter about the state of Wednesday whenever we saw him.

On 21/03/2020 at 07:12, Funky_Gibbon said:

Well in my 40 odd years of experience it does happen. Not all the time or even most of the time but I've certainly got into conversations with strangers at bus stops or had a laugh or a moan with a group of people waiting for a bus that's late. Even got onto almost neighbourly terms with some people if I've seen them frequently enough, like an old geezer who'd catch the bus to the footy at the same time as my brother and I with who we enjoyed having a natter about the state of Wednesday whenever we saw him.

Same here.

9 hours ago, Lex Luthor said:

Same here.

And here!  I am an Essex girl (no I am not a bit like any of the TOWIE stereotypes!) who moved to Sheffield over six years ago.  I find Sheffielders to be in the main very friendly, I have had some lovely conversations with people on buses and in shops, although I have to say I rarely initiate a conversation myself as I am not used to it (and a bit shy!).   Down south it is just different,  a lot of us weren't brought up to be as sociable, looking back it seems a bit more artificial, pubs were strictly for Fridays and weekends (and they weren't as friendly and cosy as the ones up here).   Many of them were closed in the years before I moved up, and shops, wine bars and restaurants took over many premises.  It was definitely a culture shock moving here, but in a very good way!!  

13 hours ago, SkyeEdge said:

And here!  I am an Essex girl (no I am not a bit like any of the TOWIE stereotypes!) who moved to Sheffield over six years ago.  I find Sheffielders to be in the main very friendly, I have had some lovely conversations with people on buses and in shops, although I have to say I rarely initiate a conversation myself as I am not used to it (and a bit shy!).   Down south it is just different,  a lot of us weren't brought up to be as sociable, looking back it seems a bit more artificial, pubs were strictly for Fridays and weekends (and they weren't as friendly and cosy as the ones up here).   Many of them were closed in the years before I moved up, and shops, wine bars and restaurants took over many premises.  It was definitely a culture shock moving here, but in a very good way!!  

That's very nice to read.  Hope you continue to enjoy life in Sheffield.

6 hours ago, Lex Luthor said:

That's very nice to read.  Hope you continue to enjoy life in Sheffield.

Thank you very much Lex 🙂

What is it with this north/south divide and Sheffield's distrust of southerners. Narrow minded and weird if you ask me?

The north/south divide only exists in the north, in the south west we don't give a toss one way or another.

If you don't like us, don't come down here ... easy!

On 21/03/2020 at 00:51, Jeddo said:

I think it's horses for courses in the different areas of Sheffield. The inhabitants all find their own level of racism, and 'Sheffieldness' (or not) depending on their various experiences throughout their lives in those areas and elsewhere, wherever they have lived in Sheffield or elsewhere. A modern stranger to Sheffield cannot possibly make one snap observation about true Sheffielders without having spent some time in each area.  Those of us who have lived in many areas of the city and outlying areas over (say) 65 years, and before mass immigration or migration from London (Manpower transfers etc) happened know that the areas all have different personalities. Those 'personalities' are moulded by immigration and differing cultures now.  The area 'personalities' are often similar along the contiguous borders of the various Sheffield wards, which is natural, and has been like that for centuries because of the lack of cars for instance in some poorer wards.  The neighbourlyness increases though as a result. Other areas have never experienced an area culture change by immigration, and live their lives oblivious of their indigenous Sheffield brothers and sisters living amongt it who are resentful.  Some people accuse the ones affected of racism, I don't, as I believe it is a human and animal right to be territorial. So if a  Londoner only spoke to them they would get the wrong impression of Sheffielders as a whole. In my experience I have found visiting Southerners at bus stops won't smile or pass the time of day with you because they think you are going to knife them, or are a nutter. (Because of the experience they have of the atmosphere in London and the South) They just don't get that Yorkshire people think it rude not to talk in that situation. If they stay around long enough they get to know we are naturally friendly folk in Sheffield, though we don't like folk taking our houses or changing our Yorkshire culture, wherever you come from.  Act like us, you can stay and welcome, or go home, basically. Don't try to change our city or us with your stranger's views and life experiences.  I think that sums up all those who are accused of racism in their own territory wherever that might be. There is no mystery at all about it. We are animals at the end of the day and are territorial. Not saying the Brits didn't do wrong invading other countries, because they did, which is why we're stuck with immigration now. So get over it.

'Quote from post above  ...  my experience I have found visiting Southerners at bus stops won't smile or pass the time of day with you because they think you are going to knife them, or are a nutter. (Because of the experience they have of the atmosphere in London and the South) 

Unbelievable nonsense. I live in the south and people are forthcoming if in social situations. You really have to get over this xenophobic attitude. If you hate us so much why is the west country thronged with northern people throughout the summer, just stay away if you feel that way. Get off to Cleethorpes, Skegness, Bridlington etc