Londoners Moving North, Including To Sheffield

This is a nice story. Londoners are moving up North to Leeds, Sheffield and beyond to escape the madness of London with their silly prices and stressful lifestyle.

I particulerly like this quote “If Sheffield were an online media platform, I’d share, like and retweet it. I’d stick a huge heart icon where everyone could see.”

Awww...at least the city is appreciated by some people

3 minutes ago, taxman said:

This is a nice story. Londoners are moving up North to Leeds, Sheffield and beyond to escape the madness of London with their silly prices and stressful lifestyle.

I particulerly like this quote “If Sheffield were an online media platform, I’d share, like and retweet it. I’d stick a huge heart icon where everyone could see.”

Awww...at least the city is appreciated by some people

Seems like Sheffield is head and shoulders above the rest too according to that article... 

Sheffield had a 12% rise in Londoners moving to buy or rent in 2018, followed by Newcastle and Leeds, which both recorded 5% increases.

Been happening for ages. I moved here in 2002 as the cost of living was unsustainable. I love it here and have been able to have a family which wouldn't have been a possibility in London at all.

The very, very sad thing though is that most of the communities that existed in London pre-1997 have been smashed apart. Only the very rich can afford to live there without access to social housing. That's rarely available to traditional working class Londoners. Most of them dispersed out to Kent/Essex but even those are now unsustainable, severely short of housing and we're being pushed out further and further.

People say 'So what? But we're having to go hundreds of miles from our families so cannot support them when elderly or ill and we have no support or help with children.

As I said, I love it here, but I'm sad my original community was destroyed.

It was happening in 1986 when the then Midland bank (now HSBC) organised their offices  in Sheffield .

Presumably even more will be making the move North when Channel 4 open their site?  Predicted 250 - 850 jobs?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/amp/entertainment-arts-50068525

But taking a lead from GingerR's posting;

"The very, very sad thing though is that most of the communities that existed in London pre-1997 have been smashed apart. Only the very rich can afford to live there without access to social housing. That's rarely available to traditional working class Londoners. "

Is it a good thing for your average Northern working class person?  Those locals with a decent job will be OK but what about those who haven't?  Those who can't get on the housing ladder due to greater competition from those who have sold up in the South & instantly have greater buying / spending power & can out bid the locals for homes?   This will then result in a greater need for social housing. 

I'm a Londoner who has 'sorta' settled in Sheffield.   I miss the vibrancy of my home city, it's markets and diversity.   Whilst folk here have been fine with me I've found Sheffield folk very resentful towards foreigners which is obviously holding the city back.  However my daughter is settled in school and the rugged landscape of the surrounding peak district is such a fantastic asset.

1 hour ago, Chaddamp said:

It was happening in 1986 when the then Midland bank (now HSBC) organised their offices  in Sheffield .

Go back even further than that - loads came up from London when moorfoot opened.

It started when Wednesday signed Ron Springett from QPR.

12 hours ago, 26b-6 said:

I'm a Londoner who has 'sorta' settled in Sheffield.   I miss the vibrancy of my home city, it's markets and diversity.   Whilst folk here have been fine with me I've found Sheffield folk very resentful towards foreigners which is obviously holding the city back.  However my daughter is settled in school and the rugged landscape of the surrounding peak district is such a fantastic asset.

And yet you've decided to 'sorta' make your home & raise your child in a non-vibrant, non-diverse, (never ventured to the Abbeydale / London Rd; Burngreave; Darnall areas then?), backwards, insular city? 

You state; "I've found Sheffield folk very resentful towards foreigners." No doubt some are, same as many true "Londoners", when I've been down in your home town, yet Sheffield has become home to many large populations of ethnic minorities & has a booming foreign student population. 

I think you'll find that while some folk in Sheffield will be resentful, (for their own reasons), of foreigners, they're will be a lot more Sheffielders, even more resentful & belligerent towards those of the indigenous population who chose to 'sorta' make their home in the city & then start to moan & groan about it & it's home grown residents. 

I see you like the Peak District?  Maybe Derbyshire would suit you better? 

Edited by Baron99

14 hours ago, 26b-6 said:

Why not move back daan saaaff  with the Landaners then?

On 14/02/2020 at 18:59, GingerR said:

Been happening for ages. I moved here in 2002 as the cost of living was unsustainable. I love it here and have been able to have a family which wouldn't have been a possibility in London at all.

The very, very sad thing though is that most of the communities that existed in London pre-1997 have been smashed apart. Only the very rich can afford to live there without access to social housing. That's rarely available to traditional working class Londoners. Most of them dispersed out to Kent/Essex but even those are now unsustainable, severely short of housing and we're being pushed out further and further.

People say 'So what? But we're having to go hundreds of miles from our families so cannot support them when elderly or ill and we have no support or help with children.

As I said, I love it here, but I'm sad my original community was destroyed.

Yes I'm jealous of a lot of Sheffielder's who have family nearby to help out. Moving back to Surrey where my immediate family live is just not feasible due to extreme housing costs nowadays though. I'm afraid with all the people moving up here eventually we may reach the same situation with housing costs....

On 15/02/2020 at 09:18, Baron99 said:

And yet you've decided to 'sorta' make your home & raise your child in a non-vibrant, non-diverse, (never ventured to the Abbeydale / London Rd; Burngreave; Darnall areas then?), backwards, insular city? 

You state; "I've found Sheffield folk very resentful towards foreigners." No doubt some are, same as many true "Londoners", when I've been down in your home town, yet Sheffield has become home to many large populations of ethnic minorities & has a booming foreign student population. 

I think you'll find that while some folk in Sheffield will be resentful, (for their own reasons), of foreigners, they're will be a lot more Sheffielders, even more resentful & belligerent towards those of the indigenous population who chose to 'sorta' make their home in the city & then start to moan & groan about it & it's home grown residents. 

I see you like the Peak District?  Maybe Derbyshire would suit you better? 

from what I've heard Derbyshire is far more insular and hostile to outsiders/foreigners, especially in the rural areas, than Sheffield is. So not sure thats a better option for them.

On 14/02/2020 at 20:13, Baron99 said:

Is it a good thing for your average Northern working class person?  Those locals with a decent job will be OK but what about those who haven't?  Those who can't get on the housing ladder due to greater competition from those who have sold up in the South & instantly have greater buying / spending power & can out bid the locals for homes?   This will then result in a greater need for social housing. 

I started writing this along the lines of how those from down south a few years ago had started buying houses out here having sold their terrace houses for silly money and buying property in what was once a mining village (that had been desimated by the strike) for very little money.

I then realised we did exactly the same buying a repo back in 89. (i'd an excuse I needed more land for my cars and couldn't find anything in Sheff as affordable)

The trouble out here was showing off and bragging about how much money you'd got to ex miners wouldn't be earning them new friends or endering them into the community.

The old "I'm the biggest lad on our Rd" attitude wasn't going to work with ex miners neither - lol