Council Cctv

In my local area(Leeds) the council operate and fund numerous CCTV cameras. Why is this?

Surely it should be the police that fund and watch over us when we are doing wrong. I would think there are laws governing who can record our behaviour, can anyone just put a CCTV camera and watch from their own property?

Is it the same where you live?

59 minutes ago, El Cid said:

In my local area(Leeds) the council operate and fund numerous CCTV cameras. Why is this?

Surely it should be the police that fund and watch over us when we are doing wrong. I would think there are laws governing who can record our behaviour, can anyone just put a CCTV camera and watch from their own property?

As you are a Leeds resident & presumably a council tax payer, why don't you contact your local councillor if you're concerned? 

2 hours ago, El Cid said:

1 hour ago, Baron99 said:

As you are a Leeds resident & presumably a council tax payer, why don't you contact your local councillor if you're concerned? 

My Bold

I think he/she is asking the question in bold above 

Edited by kidley

50 minutes ago, kidley said:

My Bold

I think he/she is asking the question in bold above 

Well this is for SCC:

https://www.sheffield.gov.uk/home/your-city-council/subject-access-request

Presumably Leeds CC will operate on the same line but El Cid will have to check with them. 

As for any police force, you have the right to request any cctv evidence taken of you. 

As for setting up your own cctv?  You have to make people aware of the fact that cctv is in operation if the view of the cctv is beyond your property & you'll now have to comply with the General Data Protection Regulations (GDPR). as do any public bodies.

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/guide-to-the-general-data-protection-regulation

As I stated in my earlier post.  Any concerns or queries El Cid has, should be addressed to Leeds CC.  They are best placed to tell him / her the reasons for operating cctv in the Leeds area & how much of their council tax payers money is spent on it. 

Edited by Baron99

3 hours ago, El Cid said:

We're in a totalitarian state.  The state is getting CCTV  well prepared for the civil unrest which will inevitably happen.

Edited by 26b-6

On 14/02/2020 at 18:06, El Cid said:

can anyone just put a CCTV camera and watch from their own property?

Technically I believe you're allowed to put up a camera (or similar) so long as it is setup to watch over your own property.

Natuarally you'll also see abit of the street or whatever and thats perfectly acceptable.

What you're not supposed to do is install a massive camera to specifically look down the street (or into someone elses house)