Contacting British Gas By Phone

Has anyone contacted British Gas by phone recently?  I have tried every number on  the web site during the opening hours of 8am--8pm.  and after giving details of why I want to speak to an advisor being told that they are now closed.  Can you  now not speak to a human being at all? Not everyone has access to the internet and live chat

Did you get through?  I used this number last week to get to BG Services but was on hold ages.  0333 200 8899

Edited by iansheff

They are a nightmare to contact,and you have to be choosy over which option you select when the phone does connect  - if however you have computer access then online chat works like  a dream. They resolved my issues after 48 hours of attempting to get through by phone.

25 minutes ago, willman said:

They are a nightmare to contact,and you have to be choosy over which option you select when the phone does connect  - if however you have computer access then online chat works like  a dream. They resolved my issues after 48 hours of attempting to get through by phone.

I totally agree. I gave up trying to get through on the phone so used the chat line. I feel sorry for people who can't use this option, BG really should cater for everyone and not assume all their customers have computers. Unfortunately I think this is going to become the norm as time goes on.

1 hour ago, iansheff said:

Did you get through?  I used this number last week to get to BG Services but was on hold ages.  0333 200 8899

Didn.'t get through Tried all these 0333 200 numbers after telling "the voice" who I wanted to speak to and why just informed me they were closed but gave me a number if I had got a gas leak which I hadn't. Gave it up as a bad job.

Tell them you want to buy Homecare - it did get me connected quickly  when i did want to query Homecare.

1 hour ago, willman said:

Tell them you want to buy Homecare - it did get me connected quickly  when i did want to query Homecare.

Had one more attempt, took a quick trip to India via chat line, chatted to someone with a unpronouceable name and after a long exchange insisted I wanted to speak to someone via the phone and was given a number, wrong one,  that was for buisness customers, got back to chat line, was given another number and guess what, it worked. found out they only answer 9-5 Mon to Sat. not 8-8 all week as web site states. Number  0333 202 9802  if anyone needs it, Thanks everbody.

Absolutely shocking service. I complained the other day. Having to “speak” to a computer about your request and it not understanding anything is an appalling way of dealing with customers. I have no idea how I eventually got through to someone. I think it was a pure chance of luck.

Is it not possible to write them a letter?

I advise you report your findings to the Energy Ombudsman and copy in your local MP,it's terrible service you're getting here.At the moment Energy Ombudsman is helping me with a complaint against EDF.

British Gas are charlatans as I know from experience. If you insist on using them then you will get burnt at some point.