Mental Health Help

It just shows you to talk about your worries. Even a forum can bring relief. 

Having the courage to open up and acknowledging that you need help has been a massive step forwards for you mate.

I genuinely wish you all the best on your journey . SF really can be a good place to be !

Wow!  That was such a brave thing to do.  It must have taken a lot of courage to go on Monday, and on your own too. 

Form filling isn't great either but especially so, given the circumstances you describe.  I'm glad you felt comfortable enough to be open about the next of kin form.  That must have been difficult.

You did well to stay the course and to fight against your instincts afterwards.

Taking the initial step is the hardest.  

The app sounds an interesting idea.  I'd not thought about technology being an aid in such ways but it makes sense.

It all sounds promising and most of all because you are being so honest with yourself and it sounds like you are being sensible in your approach.

Try not to worry about future obstacles, you are moving in the right direction and each day you will become more able to face such challenges, as you grow in strength and determination.

That was a massive step.  It will be easier next time you go, and the next, and so on.  

You should feel very proud. 🖐️

Edited by Lex Luthor

Hope things are going ok, Bob.  We're all willing you on.  🖐️

On 05/03/2020 at 04:17, Lex Luthor said:

Hope things are going ok, Bob.  We're all willing you on.  🖐️

Hi Lex. sorry ive not replied for so long and I really appreciate your concern, im just having a bit of a shocker at the moment. Im not really dealing with things too well but I dont want to just come on and post all negative stuff but right now things all seem very negative. Im still doing what I can to make things better but I genuinely cant wait for my appointment  at CGL. That has unfortunately been pushed back another week by them, some sort of double booking error but im counting the days and doing what I can to help myself in the mean time.. The kids have been great with everything. I know its hurting them seeing their Dad in such a dark place but they have been a big help and I know they understand that I want to stop drinking and one day I will but it could be a slow process with plenty of ups and downs along the way.

I still regularly look in on Sheffield Forum even though I dont post much, i think its being around people albeit in a virtual sense that is helping me with all this as well. You have all been so supportive especially your good self, im not sure where I would have ended up if you all hadn't been so good to me.

Im going to try and post more and get involved in chats and stuff. I love a good natter, im a proper little chatterbox when I get going. lol.

Bob.

Great to hear from you Bob.  Sorry it's not going as well as we'd all wish for you. 

Remember, when we make our mind up and start to effect positive change in our lives, our bodies and minds, albeit subconsciously, try to throw obstacles in the way, because deeply, somewhere, we are anxious and worried about what that change may bring.  Sometimes, and I suspect this may be true in your case, from what you've said, it can be like dominoes, and there are going to be knock on effects, and a lot issues to confront, but you are getting stronger, Bob, and I know you can cope with it.  Please continue to have faith in yourself, and keep telling yourself that you can do this.  Try to envisage what your life will look like in the future, when you've successfully come out fighting the other end.  What will it all look like for you?  How will things better?  How will it feel for you?  

You've got this.  I know you have, pal.🖐️

Hi Bob.  Please don't think you are not in my thoughts, if I don't get to post very regularly.  I'll do my best to check in with you, when I can, because I want to.  Things are a little hectic here. 

Hope you are managing ok, in these difficult times and with the isolation probably ahead.  There's a great sticky thread for Corona virus help in the Sheffield section.  

Please keep in touch when you can.  It's really important that you make use of us for contact, whenever you need to let off steam, or a friendly ear.  

Look after yourself, Bob.  These times are hard enough for anyone, let alone someone going through the challenges and changes you are.

🖐️

On 07/03/2020 at 16:38, Lex Luthor said:

Great to hear from you Bob.  Sorry it's not going as well as we'd all wish for you. 

Remember, when we make our mind up and start to effect positive change in our lives, our bodies and minds, albeit subconsciously, try to throw obstacles in the way, because deeply, somewhere, we are anxious and worried about what that change may bring.  Sometimes, and I suspect this may be true in your case, from what you've said, it can be like dominoes, and there are going to be knock on effects, and a lot issues to confront, but you are getting stronger, Bob, and I know you can cope with it.  Please continue to have faith in yourself, and keep telling yourself that you can do this.  Try to envisage what your life will look like in the future, when you've successfully come out fighting the other end.  What will it all look like for you?  How will things be better?  How will it feel for you?  

You've got this.  I know you have, pal.🖐️

Hope you're doing well, Bob.  It's a hard time for many at the moment, but you're not forgotten 😊

Guest makapaka

I think this could be a useful thread for the forum at this time.

I’m a perpetual worrier and struggle with anxiety - made myself ill with it more than once.

if anything is gonna exacerbate it it’s something like the current situation.

Best advice I’ve had is to try and occupy yourself with something - I know that’s not easy when you’re worrying about something but it takes the edge off just a bit - just finding a job in house and doing that for an hour.

also keeping in touch with people / send someone a message and see how they’re getting on and have a bit of craic.

If you think you haven’t got anyone to message - send me a message and I’ll bore you in return 😀

Some good advice there, Makapaka.👍 

I've found gardening to be good in the past.  Mind you, looking out of the window now, might be a while before it's fit enough to go out!

Guest makapaka
1 hour ago, Lex Luthor said:

Some good advice there, Makapaka.👍 

I've found gardening to be good in the past.  Mind you, looking out of the window now, might be a while before it's fit enough to go out!

Cooking is a good one I’ve found.

find a recipe you’ve never done with stuff you never use and follow it - get kids involved if you have em. Passes an hour on. 

Owt like this chuck it on this thread if you’re feeling bad mentally - we can help each other.

1 minute ago, makapaka said:

Cooking is a good one I’ve found.

find a recipe you’ve never done with stuff you never use and follow it - get kids involved if you have em. Passes an hour on. 

Owt like this chuck it on this thread if you’re feeling bad mentally - we can help each other.

Jack Monroe (bootstrap cook) on the Twitter (and tv and radio at the moment) pulling all sorts of recipes out of stuff you've got lying around.