Mental Health Help

Great to hear from you, Bob. 

These are great steps.  You have a lot of people here, willing you on.

One day at a time.  Don't suffer in silence though.  Reach out whenever you need to, either on here or elsewhere.  Build up your resources to help you and to give you strength when you need that extra support.  

Keep us posted on how things are going.

Edited by Lex Luthor

Sounds like you're on the right tack Bob. Patricia's suggestion was a good one. The professional services ie. Mental health, GP can be a real let down and disappointment and appear to work to their own needs and agenda.

Also appears that AA have a role to play.

Sometimes, often actually, the Voluntary sector can be more supportive emotionally and practically.

Sounds like you're grieving for the loss of your relationship and insomnia can be a symptom of depression.

On 15/02/2020 at 03:19, Lex Luthor said:

Great to hear from you, Bob. 

These are great steps.  You have a lot of people here, willing you on.

One day at a time.  Don't suffer in silence though.  Reach out whenever you need to, either on here or elsewhere.  Build up your resources to help you and to give you strength when you need that extra support.  

Keep us posted on how things are going.

Thank you for that mate and sorry for the stupid smiley reply. Your post desereved a better response than that.

On 16/02/2020 at 12:53, Ridgewalk said:

Sounds like you're on the right tack Bob. Patricia's suggestion was a good one. The professional services ie. Mental health, GP can be a real let down and disappointment and appear to work to their own needs and agenda.

Also appears that AA have a role to play.

Sometimes, often actually, the Voluntary sector can be more supportive emotionally and practically.

Sounds like you're grieving for the loss of your relationship and insomnia can be a symptom of depression.

Thank you for that. So far ive contacted

mental health Rotherham who gave me the number for

CGL (change grow live). They didnt answer but I left them a message so hopefully ill hear something soon.

Ive also contacted AA who respond very quickly to email enquiries but when it comes to them phoning me im yet to get a call. Its been about a week now but I guess they must be really busy.

I didnt get to the  Andysmansclub as my son was ill but Ive arranged a sitter for next Monday so Ill be going then. My biggest step is to stop my alcohol intake and so far I have not had a drink since Sunday. It is very rough going ill be honest but whilst im very tempted to have a drink but in the absence of any contact from AA i thought Id get the ball rolling. 

I do really want to stop drinking for my kids and for me.

Sheffield forum and you kind people have helped me immensely. You all have no idea how grateful I am 🙏

I can’t offer much in the way of advice, but congrats on the lack of drinking - one day at a time and all that!

19 hours ago, tinfoilhat said:

I can’t offer much in the way of advice, but congrats on the lack of drinking - one day at a time and all that!

Thank you mate.

I just thought id let you all know I have an appointment with CGL next week so fingers crossed this could be the start of something good.

AA never bothered contacting me despite emails promising they would so after 5 attempts over around a week i gave up on them.

Just reading up on the latest news about your condition. Good luck ! You made the right decision to come on this forum.

On 18/02/2020 at 18:01, BobOfRoth said:

Thank you for that mate and sorry for the stupid smiley reply. Your post desereved a better response than that.

Hey, I'd never take offence at something like that.  No need to apologise, mate.  I wasn't too well, so only just saw this.👍

I know you're well-liked on here and sometimes there's just too much to do for long answers for everyone!

Fantastic news about your appointment.  You've done so much of the hard graft already, you deserve any help anyone can give.  Sorry to hear other agencies have not turned out to be a great help up until now.  Hope you get the quality of help you so obviously deserve.  

I'll try to not make it so long before I check in with this thread, was a bit chaotic last week as well!

High five, Bob!

13 hours ago, Lex Luthor said:

Hey, I'd never take offence at something like that.  No need to apologise, mate.  I wasn't too well, so only just saw this.👍

I know you're well-liked on here and sometimes there's just too much to do for long answers for everyone!

Fantastic news about your appointment.  You've done so much of the hard graft already, you deserve any help anyone can give.  Sorry to hear other agencies have not turned out to be a great help up until now.  Hope you get the quality of help you so obviously deserve.  

I'll try to not make it so long before I check in with this thread, was a bit chaotic last week as well!

High five, Bob!

Hi Lex. Thank you so much for your encouragement and kind words. It is helping a lot.

Well I went for my first meeting today.Mainly form filling and info taking. I had somewhat of a wobble during this process when it came to filling out the Emergency contact part of the form. The lady who was there seemed quite shocked when I left it blank and told her there is no one who can do this. Hell, I dont even have a next of kin. This is part of the reason I drink, loneliness and having no one to talk to of an evening. I stuck the meeting out though then went straight home. The urge to go for a drink was incredible. Ive never felt anything like it but managed to stay the course and promised myself a tipple this evening. Daft as it sounds, making this agreement with myself worked. In fact I listened to me way more than my kids do especially when it comes to bedroom cleaning time haha.

At the meeting i was given a key to an app for my phone. It seems pretty helpful with loads of info but the bit I like the best is you can program all the places where I buy my alcohol from and when it detects im near there it sounds an alarm and shows a picture of my choice in an attempt to encourage you to think of other things like your kids or a pet or anything that you feel strongly about. Time will tell if it helps in any real way but im incredibly hopeful that this along with my own efforts, the efforts of CGL and you wonderful people on here  will get this problem nailed. For now though every day is a new day, I have my good ones and bad ones like anyone does but when I have bad ones i must resist the temptation to drink. Right now ive got it down to just having a drink at night and this maount is getting less and less. My big worry though is if I have to have detox. Thats when I know things are out of control but If I keep chipping away at my intake then that is something that can be avoided.

Thanks again Lex, youre a star and a huge High 5 right back at ya

Bob 🙂

On 20/02/2020 at 16:35, feargal said:

Good luck Bob, we're all rooting for you!

Thank you Fergal. With people like you and the others who have posted positive messages and help, how can I possible fail.

Bob 🙂

On 22/02/2020 at 07:20, pattricia said:

Just reading up on the latest news about your condition. Good luck ! You made the right decision to come on this forum.

Thank you Patricia

Bob 🙂

Just wanted to say, you come across as a very courageous person Bob. It can take a lot of courage to expose our shortcomings, and the way in which you have done so, only says good things about you.

I'm afraid I don't have much experience with alcohol, so can offer very little in the way of practical advice. I have had experience with substance abuse in the distant past though, and can remember thinking at the time, that everything was hopeless and things would never improve. I was wrong. Things changed in time, more than I could possibly have imagined.

Good luck to you Bob, and please, always try to keep in mind, a positive, healthy, happy, you.