Current Scams...

1 minute ago, Ghozer said:

sign to TPS and MPS, will stop 95% of calls and letters, as for emails, just report as spam when you get them, they will slowly reduce over time...

TPS is a toothless tiger in this situation - see my comment  in post #66 as to the true origin of the phone-calls, TPS has NO jurisdiction outside the UK.

As to the emails, just mark them as 'spam' and your ISPs spam filtering service should intercept them after a reasonable number get reported.

On 23/03/2020 at 14:13, horribleblob said:

I had one – similar wording to the BT one – but pretending to come from TV Licensing. There's a customer of telenet.be who's being a very naughty boy.

Yup - just had this one too!

Not a coincidence obviously, but my earlier ones - BT, Netflix and now TV licencing - have all been sent to a "secret" email account/name that I use for a particular specific purpose...and that's what gives the game away in my case.

Checked the pwned site for info - looks like it's the data breach 4/5 years ago on the 000webhost site...

Edited by RiffRaff

I don’t usually receive any on my phone ,but today received one with a link,basically saying that O2  were having a problem collecting my payment....please follow the link.

I have no dealings with O2 so deleted.

Also beware of the current crop of scammers purporting to offer grants and tax rebates related to Coronavirus 

Edited by RJRB

Just had an email from WHICH magazine about a new scam..

Watch out for this...

"A fake coronavirus warning text is being circulated. The sinister scam claims that your movements have been monitored through your phone, and that you must pay a fine or face a more severe penalty.

If you receive the text, do not click or tap any links that these messages ask you to!

Just had a text sent to my phone.... 10 April..  a refund for vehicle tax from the DVLA...  and a link.  Could be false... deleted straight away.

Yes it is a Scam, along with HMRC Tax rebate , Council Tax and Car insurance rebates

Theres a scam online at the moment advertising anti bacterial hand wash, wipes and masks.

You send your money but get nothing back in return.

Not sure if this one has been posted before. 

Phone rang and a polite woman with an asian accent said "Hello, Mr (my surname) This is Suveena from Sky, we've noticed that you have been a customer for 5+ years and as a loyal customer we would like to offer you a lifetime 30% discount on your bill"

So far so good, seems legit, got my name right, I've just gone over 5 years on this account. Very plausible. 

"To facilitate your discount we need to move you to a VIP billing system so we would need you to confirm some details. We would need your DOB, Bank acc number and sort-code"

Information they already have and could quite easily transfer to a different billing system, even if it had to be done manually.

At this point I hung up and called Sky directly. In speaking with a team manager it was confirmed as a scam and I was thanked for letting them know as it's apparently not a known one. They requested I also report it to Action Fraud (done so) but admitted given the likelihood of the call's origin, little could be done. 

Just wondered if anyone else has received an @mail reputedly from Paypay saying your account has been limited?, Ive never used Paypal so wondered if it was genuine or or not

27 minutes ago, pintor said:

Just wondered if anyone else has received an @mail reputedly from Paypay saying your account has been limited?, Ive never used Paypal so wondered if it was genuine or or not

Scam - how can they 'limit' an account that doesn't even exist?

British Gas reminded me yesterday to pay my bill or there would be consequences. If I ignored their email it would cost me £50+ quid to recieve a letter and if they needed to come round to my house it would cost me several hundred quid.

Obviously I paid at once, giving them my bank account number and sort code, the name of my first pet, first school and mother's maiden name.

It then dawned on me we don't have British Gas....