Current Scams...

I remember reading a few years ago about Local Councils selling personal information from the electoral register to private companies. It makes you wonder it scammers buy a copy.

Edited by hauxwell

I think a lot of us are too polite and British when it comes to dealing with phone scammers. Just hang up on them. 

6.30am this morning got a withheld number on my bedroom phone (which does not have caller id) So in future I will have to make sure that I take receiver off when I go to bed.

16 hours ago, hauxwell said:

I remember reading a few years ago about Local Councils selling personal information from the electoral register to private companies. It makes you wonder it scammers buy a copy.

Anyone can see the Open Electoral Register which is why you have the option to opt out when completing your entry. 

I was expecting a Phone Call from my Daughter, 

the Landline Phone rang, I picked it up answering....the caller said my Internet was compromised (without saying who I was with! Or in what way)

So I said, quick as a flash, - Nice Try Mate..... I don't have any Current Internet......Laughing loudly down the line... I Hung up!.....

My Router with VM was Broken....

What I can’t understand is Im using BT call blocker to block every scam call but they are still phoning back !

2 hours ago, pattricia said:

What I can’t understand is Im using BT call blocker to block every scam call but they are still phoning back !

Using the same numbers? IF so, either your phones broken, or it is not set correctly. Can't help much more, as I use my ISPs system - when I can be bothered.

What phone have you got, and I'm assuming when you say 'BT's call blocker' you mean the 1572 option.

2 hours ago, pattricia said:

IMHO - The main reason WHY is because Sales Companies like the Accident, Ambulance Chasers, Scammers, Internet Crooks, Sales Blaggers Etc..

Do NOT use ordinary LandLine Phones with Genuine Numbers, they will use IP Phones which can be setup to Emulate Any Number they Choose...to use..

Once you block any number, they switch - the settings..

@DeZeusI forgot to think about that - very remiss of me. You are totally correct, but it would still be good if @pattricia could answer.

2 hours ago, RollingJ said:

Using the same numbers? IF so, either your phones broken, or it is not set correctly. Can't help much more, as I use my ISPs system - when I can be bothered.

What phone have you got, and I'm assuming when you say 'BT's call blocker' you mean the 1572 option.

Yes, it’s the 1572 option.

2 hours ago, DeZeus said:

IMHO - The main reason WHY is because Sales Companies like the Accident, Ambulance Chasers, Scammers, Internet Crooks, Sales Blaggers Etc..

Do NOT use ordinary LandLine Phones with Genuine Numbers, they will use IP Phones which can be setup to Emulate Any Number they Choose...to use..

Once you block any number, they switch - the settings..

Tiny bit technical for me but Im trying to understand your answer.

In that case, they must be using different numbers - once you add a number to 1572, that number is asked to leave a message, at which point they hang up - your phone will not ring for thst number - or it shouldn't :wink:

7 minutes ago, RollingJ said:

In that case, they must be using different numbers - once you add a number to 1572, that number is asked to leave a message, at which point they hang up - your phone will not ring for thst number - or it shouldn't :wink:

Yes, they must be changing their number once blocked.